Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

Kent.

Why are there 18 to 20 gears on these bikes ?? i have 3 gears on my current bike and i only use 2 of them..

When you start hill climbing you will know.

• Like 1

Can't say it's ever bothered/affected me. It will however massively improve fitness and stamina though... :D

You'd want to be a professional cyclist before you would have to worry about that if at all. For the amateur cyclist its a non-issue.

No problems to report here and during my er... formative years 14-17 I was averaging 150-200 miles a week on the bike. Now 31 two kids and able to perform on demand wherever and whenever.

Yep ! Could be your position on bike or pushing too big a gear. Make sure you are using fairly low gears to start with.

Ahaa..there we have the problem..only 1 gear is working atm and it is the highest..so i have been pushing as hell.

Your legs should be doing one full rotation on the pedals at least once every second. If your not doing that you're in too high a gear.

Edited by villa89

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started training for the Isle of Man End-to-End mountain bike race in September.  To be honest, I think I've probably bitten off more than I can chew, but hey, if you don't have to aim for, you'll never achieve anything I reckon.  Anyway, it's 45m.  The first 15 miles is quite gentle on fairly flat roads, but then it's all off road, including a few steep mountain climbs.  I've never done much in the way of cycling before, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Since last week I've been trying to get out most nights.  I did 10 miles around our local area on country roads last night which probably doesn't sound much, but I am very unfit at the moment, and overweight, so was quite pleased with the effort and I felt amazing afterwards.  I think I'm going to get a road bike as well, to mix up the training a bit.  I've also got a turbo trainer in the garage which I intend to use if I can't get out on the roads for any reason.

If you go up, then being the lightest you possibly can is the best. The turbo trainer is good for doing intervals; but you need something to measure your effort; a heart rate monitor is the cheapest option. You then can do a test to find out what your maximum heart rate is, and then have zones, where you can measure effort. If you have a laptop you can view whilst you are on the trainer, you can use a system like trainer road www.trainerroad.com which has lots of different work outs and plans. 

I use Heart rate for everything really as it seems to sit along well with my perceived exertion so I sort if have an idea of what's going on. I also have a power meter, but it's only on one of my bikes (time trial) so really only interesting reading rather than particularly useful to me.

I wanted to pimp my TT bike a bit and was thinking of respray but decided that something more subtle using coloured vinyl to replace the red with blue and instead spend the same (respray) money on some Di2. Means that I can change gears in when no in TT position, I.e. Up hills and round corners. Hopefully get it sorted next week so can test it a bit before IM Germany.

I was looking for di2 and couldn't find it for less than about £950.00 plus installation. Where did you get that price?

Fwiw, I went for Ultegra 6800 mechanical instead.

Â