Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

my burnley mate said he thought he was utter crap

if he cant cut it in the championship then what chance does he have here? although gabby went on loan to watford and sheff wed i think it was both of those and didnt do very well and look at him

been said countless times already in this thread but seemingly needs to be repeated. he was used pretty much exclusively as a right winger at burnley. needless to say that isn't his proper position and hence imo the loan spell is a complete waste of time.

from what i've seen of him playing for us, as a striker, he's a very good young player. he has to get decent playing time next season.

been said countless times already in this thread but seemingly needs to be repeated. he was used pretty much exclusively as a right winger at burnley. needless to say that isn't his proper position and hence imo the loan spell is a complete waste of time.

from what i've seen of him playing for us, as a striker, he's a very good young player. he has to get decent playing time next season.

agreed, i can't understand how other posters can't see this

As I've said before on this board.

Delfouneso is undoubtedly a good talent, but he will never live up to the hype he's received here. As a result, I fear he'll sadly be a disappointment due to these ridiculously high expectations some people have of him.

agreed, i can't understand how other posters can't see this

he should be given a run in the cc

It was his chance to show what he could do with a run of first team football in a proper club playing serious competitive football. The fact that he was playing at right wing isn't relevant. Gabby had to spend a long spell at right wing, undoubtedly not his position of choice, but he just got his head down and applied himself.

My view for a long time has been that Delfouneso has been given a lot of chances to break through at Villa and hasn't taken them. It seems that a loan spell hasn't helped advance his cause much.

I seem to recall someone claiming he would be better than Drogba if he had been played this season...... no names mentioned. (Not you Stevo985)

the key part of the phrase being "if he had been played," delfouneso and bent up front would be absolutely superb, i'm certain of it

I seem to recall someone claiming he would be better than Drogba if he had been played this season...... no names mentioned. (Not you Stevo985)

Yep. It wasn't me who said it (I still consider myself clinically sane), but I did respond with the point that maybe if he'd shown he was worthy of a run in the team ahead of the other strikers, he'd have got it. But he hasn't.

It was his chance to show what he could do with a run of first team football in a proper club playing serious competitive football. The fact that he was playing at right wing isn't relevant. Gabby had to spend a long spell at right wing, undoubtedly not his position of choice, but he just got his head down and applied himself.

My view for a long time has been that Delfouneso has been given a lot of chances to break through at Villa and hasn't taken them. It seems that a loan spell hasn't helped advance his cause much.

he hasn't been given a lot of chances, far from it in fact

the key part of the phrase being "if he had been played," delfouneso and bent up front would be absolutely superb, i'm certain of it

I thought the key bit was it being bollocks. :D

He's alright.

Judging from this season, Houllier dosen't rate him so next season under a new manager is going to be really crucial.

I don't ever seen him getting 15 + goals a season for us but with his all round game I do think he could turn into that link up striker we don't really have, one who can drop back into midfield and get the ball there. He was doing that for the under 21s in their last game.

The fact that he was playing at right wing isn't relevant.

of course its relevant. he's never played there before so how he's expected to shine in an unfamiliar position is frankly non-sensical. burnley have been shit since Howe took over anyway.... maybe it'll teach him to play players in their proper positions next season.

My view for a long time has been that Delfouneso has been given a lot of chances to break through at Villa and hasn't taken them.

except he scores in the majority of his starts?

And that constitutes about 6 out of his 30-ish appearances so far for Villa. I'm talking about his overall performance and impact in all of his games for Villa, not just choosing a selective set of statistics that seems to support my case.

The fact that he doesn't seem to have cut it with Houllier is quite telling, don't you think?

And that constitutes about 6 out of his 30-ish appearances so far for Villa. I'm talking about his overall performance and impact in all of his games for Villa, not just choosing a selective set of statistics that seems to support my case.

The fact that he doesn't seem to have cut it with Houllier is quite telling, don't you think?

Right, so he hasn't scored every time he's come off the bench for a 5 minute run out? Not really a valid criticism for me. When the lad starts he scores goals, it really is as simple as that and yet we are still yet to see him get a proper run in the side.

And no, Houllier is completely clueless. He's picked Dunne and Collins at centre half the entire season. Him not picking Delfouneso only reinforces my belief he should be getting more playing time.

The kids made 40ish appearances and hasn't been able to tie down a spot in the squad.

However, thinking back on it after the game vs Blues we were all calling for him to be given a run in the squad as he had a good game when he played those few minutes. I think it was pretty unanimous that we thought he should get a run in the side (this was before we truly realised how much shit we were in i think?).

Then we signed Bent and had to battle out of the mire. I wouldnt be surprised if we gave him a good long run at the start of next season.

We're you referring to the time when Drogba had maleria?

Â