Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

The driver on the bus I had to get today was black and I paid my fare using one of those abolition of slavery commemorative 50p coins. :) :?

I digress but you British still use coins to pay for public transport?! :shock:

The driver on the bus I had to get today was black and I paid my fare using one of those abolition of slavery commemorative 50p coins. :) :?

If David Brent is to be believed you can pay for the bus (or anything else) with postage stamps, not sure if it is in fact true or not.

Sure, what do you do, barter with chickens?

(Sorry!)

Ah, English buses. There's nothing like being in a queue of people getting onto a bus where the driver has to dish out change to everyone or people have to count coins at the till before everyone can get on :angry:

One of the best things we did over here was introduce 'exact change only'. You find that most have it ready (funnily enough). And those who don't have exact change simply get a receipt for the surplus which they can then go to the bus HQ to cash in at their leisure. No queues and no doddery old bints holding everyone up.

Most cities here do try to enforce exact change, but people don't like it. Me for one. Especially as they make the fares daft amounts like £2.30.

I blame one-man buses. Bring back conductors with tickets machines and a bag of change - and provide some employment opportunities. Might cheer the grumpy drivers up a bit too, if they can be left to get on with driving.

That's what it's like in Brum. Exact change only. And if you don't have exact change and pay too much then it's tough shit.

When I lived in leeds the buses used to drive me mad in the morning. Took so long for people to get on the sodding bus!

Most cities here do try to enforce exact change, but people don't like it. Me for one. Especially as they make the fares daft amounts like £2.30.

I blame one-man buses. Bring back conductors with tickets machines and a bag of change - and provide some employment opportunities. Might cheer the grumpy drivers up a bit too, if they can be left to get on with driving.

Higher transport costs, lovely. The costs of British public transport in my humble view is already shocking, no need to make it spiral further.

That's what it's like in Brum. Exact change only. And if you don't have exact change and pay too much then it's tough shit.

Well that's typical half-assed council robbery too. Why not just give a receipt. The M.O. is to save time, not rob people.

The machine gives the receipt, not the driver.

You drop your fare into a slot at the top of the machine. It falls down and the driver can see via a clear window how much you've put in. He presses the button for your fare and he then pushes the amount for the receipt. You take both and continue on. No please or thank you required :)

I blame one-man buses. Bring back conductors with tickets machines and a bag of change - and provide some employment opportunities. Might cheer the grumpy drivers up a bit too, if they can be left to get on with driving and chatting up the new clippies.

STAN_onTheBuses.jpg

:nod:

What I find most incredible here is that 50p was able to buy you a whole fare. Were you travelling a couple yards up the street or something?!

To clear things up my bus fare was £2.50, thats where the use of coins comes in to play. The route was quite short which is why it was cheap. Also it went through some little villages right next to the power station where all the mutants live, I was looking out for a kid playing the Banjo.

Â