Barry Bannan

villianusa

It's a mystery Con hasn't picked up on Bannan's long-passing ability. With enough time and space, he has the ability to spot and execute beautiful long passes to the forwards to get them in dangerous one-on-one situations. Remember his 40 yard cross-field diagonal for Marc Albrighton's goal against Fulham? And I remember under Houllier in the game against Man U where we went 2-0 up and drew 2-2, he played some cracking long passes then. 

But that was because the opposition hadn't sussed him out yet, and hadn't realised how easy it was to throw him off his game. Just increase the pace of the game, harry him a little and viola, no time, no space to make his pass. 

Westwood I think has the ability to make those same passes, but he doesn't need the luxury of time and space. 

Bannan needs, and I think he's just a good player playing in a league not suited to his sensibilities. I'd think he'd do well in Italy or Spain.

It's those Hollywood balls which is why he was dropped in the first place. You've picked out 2 examples in 2 years but the reality is he gives the ball away a lot more often than he used to put a player through on a one on one (if he ever did? Don't ever remember doing that...)

When he came back into the team against QPR and Reading he didn't attempt a single long ball which makes me think it's Lambert who has told him to cut that nonsense out. Which he did to be fair, but then that was pretty much the only thing to his game. He's now an average Championship player at best in my opinion.

It's a mystery Con hasn't picked up on Bannan's long-passing ability. With enough time and space, he has the ability to spot and execute beautiful long passes to the forwards to get them in dangerous one-on-one situations. Remember his 40 yard cross-field diagonal for Marc Albrighton's goal against Fulham? And I remember under Houllier in the game against Man U where we went 2-0 up and drew 2-2, he played some cracking long passes then. 

But that was because the opposition hadn't sussed him out yet, and hadn't realised how easy it was to throw him off his game. Just increase the pace of the game, harry him a little and viola, no time, no space to make his pass. 

Westwood I think has the ability to make those same passes, but he doesn't need the luxury of time and space. 

Bannan needs, and I think he's just a good player playing in a league not suited to his sensibilities. I'd think he'd do well in Italy or Spain.

Yes his long passing ability that is so sensational he has managed to pick up 1 assist all season

I agree with Con on one thing, Bannan has raw talent. Enough of it. I also don't agree that his set piece delivery is near as poor as many make out. He's OK. Nothing special, but OK. 

I think this is where most people sit.

He's half decent. That's it.

The extreme opinions of him being "dross" etc are just reactions to try and counter Con's insanely positive opinion of the guy (imo of course)

I agree with Con on one thing, Bannan has raw talent. Enough of it. I also don't agree that his set piece delivery is near as poor as many make out. He's OK. Nothing special, but OK. 

I think this is where most people sit.

He's half decent. That's it.

The extreme opinions of him being "dross" etc are just reactions to try and counter Con's insanely positive opinion of the guy (imo of course)

Agreed. Con has polarised everyone's opinions of him... for me his ridiculous claims of being the best crosser etc in the league has just bought attention to his performances which in all honesty have not been Premiership quality.

It's those Hollywood balls which is why he was dropped in the first place. You've picked out 2 examples in 2 years but the reality is he gives the ball away a lot more often than he used to put a player through on a one on one (if he ever did? Don't ever remember doing that...)

When he came back into the team against QPR and Reading he didn't attempt a single long ball which makes me think it's Lambert who has told him to cut that nonsense out. Which he did to be fair, but then that was pretty much the only thing to his game. He's now an average Championship player at best in my opinion.

Against Reading Bannan played 5 long balls, 3 accurate. Against QPR 1 long ball. Passing accuracy 85% and 84%, 2 key passes and 1 key pass. Two good games for Bannan.

Against Reading Bannan played 5 long balls, 3 accurate. Against QPR 1 long ball. Passing accuracy 85% and 84%, 2 key passes and 1 key pass. Two good games for Bannan.

:rolleyes:

I don't know where the myth that Bannan isn't bad at delivering set pieces comes from. 99% of his corners are floated in with so much backspin the opposition keeper catches the ball with ease. With his ability, and I'm sure he has a fair bit of it, he should be pinging them in like RVP does for United.

Where Bannan is poor is his decision making and over-reliance on trying to play the Hollywood ball. I shudder to think what would have happened against Norwich if Bannan was the one on the ball who had to put Gabby in for the winner.

You really are the Yin to my Yang when it comes to Barry Bannan :D

You really are the Yin to my Yang when it comes to Barry Bannan :D

Ashvilla you've finally helped me to establish Con's true identity. Who is the `Big Yin?`

Billy Connolly...............Exactly!................shorten Connolly & what do you get?

Con!  (Sounds plausible to me ;) )

He just doesn't give enough of a **** about anyone but Barry Bannan. He's uncoachable in my opinion and I'm getting the impression Lambert has had enough of trying, we shall see. 

How do you come to an opinion like "He's uncoachable"? Have you been watching training sessions? I mean, if he didn't do what coaches told him in matches, he would never be picked at all.

He's out the team at the minute because he was poor in his last match against Liverpool and the next one was against Stoke - no surprise he was dropped against probably the most physical side in the league, as that is the weakest part of his game. He hasn't come back since because Delph and Sylla have shown good form & there's been no need to change. Lambert has put some players in and out of the team for spells in the season (e.g. Delph was left out completely for a while & I don't think he was injured) without it meaning he's given up on them completely.

Guess it depends on Lambert's transfer plans whether he'll be kept next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is. won't be on ridiculous wages & could be a good squad player.

He just doesn't give enough of a **** about anyone but Barry Bannan. He's uncoachable in my opinion and I'm getting the impression Lambert has had enough of trying, we shall see. 

How do you come to an opinion like "He's uncoachable"? Have you been watching training sessions? I mean, if he didn't do what coaches told him in matches, he would never be picked at all.

He's out the team at the minute because he was poor in his last match against Liverpool and the next one was against Stoke - no surprise he was dropped against probably the most physical side in the league, as that is the weakest part of his game. He hasn't come back since because Delph and Sylla have shown good form & there's been no need to change. Lambert has put some players in and out of the team for spells in the season (e.g. Delph was left out completely for a while & I don't think he was injured) without it meaning he's given up on them completely.

Guess it depends on Lambert's transfer plans whether he'll be kept next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is. won't be on ridiculous wages & could be a good squad player.

He seems a law unto himself at times. He is obviously making all the right noises in training and as I've already stated I think he's a decent footballer, but he seems undisciplined to me both on and off the pitch. I'm never entirely sure what his role is during the game and I can't imagine that's intentional from the coaching staff, he certainly isn't being afforded a free role. Or at least I hope not. 

Perhaps my words were a bit harsh originally, I fear I may be another victim of polarisation from Con's hardcore beliefs. I do though believe Bannan will need a fresh start elsewhere if he's ever to make it at this level. He has stagnated here.