Barry Bannan

villianusa

Bannan's on the bench.

El Ahmadi must be injured.

At least he is on the bench. Some people were speculating that he would not be in the squad again lol  :rolleyes:

How good is Lowton though? It's like Leighton Baines down the right. He is getting better and better. We need the creativity too as the midfield is a bit workmanlike without El Ahmadi or Bannan.

BTW I wouldn't change this winning team. That's as logical to me as it is to say Bannan is a very good player.

Bannan's on the bench.

El Ahmadi must be injured.

At least he is on the bench. Some people were speculating that he would not be in the squad again lol  :rolleyes:

How good is Lowton though? It's like Leighton Baines down the right. He is getting better and better. We need the creativity too as the midfield is a bit workmanlike without El Ahmadi or Bannan.

BTW I wouldn't change this winning team. That's as logical to me as it is to say Bannan is a very good player.

I'd put Bannan in ahead of Sylla. :)

A goal from a corner!!!

And it wasn't Bannan!!!

Shock horror!

Con? Would love to see your corner kick stats on Westwood V Bannon. That's 2 goals from Westwood corner kicks now  & none from Bannon. Also Westwood must surely have only taken about 10 corners this season whilst Bannon must be  on about 200?

That's a ratio of 20:1

Surely my eyes are not deceiving me here?

Explanation please!

I'm so pleased we have a manager who does not trawl over pages of nonsensical stats

It must have taken some balls to drop one of the best crossers in the division especially with his assist ratio 

I'm so pleased we have a manager who does not trawl over pages of nonsensical stats

It must have taken some balls to drop one of the best crossers in the division especially with his assist ratio 

Wouldn't it be ironic if Lambo is actually Con? :P

No offence intended!

Wouldn't it be ironic if Lambo is actually Con? :P

No offence intended!

I think it's more like to be little Barry himself.

I don't think we'll be seeing Bannan in a Villa shirt again to be honest, especially after his little spat when he wasn't in the squad the other week.

That's obviously nonsense as he was on the bench last night and could have been on the field if there was an injury.

He's in Lambert's plans but is currently a "fringe" player.

Con? Would love to see your corner kick stats on Westwood V Bannon. That's 2 goals from Westwood corner kicks now  & none from Bannon. Also Westwood must surely have only taken about 10 corners this season whilst Bannon must be  on about 200?

Surely my eyes are not deceiving me here?

Explanation please!

Bannan didn't take all the corner kicks. N'Zogbia often took the kicks when he was playing at the same time as Bannan.

Bannan almost got an assist from an identical corner to the one last night against reading. In that case, Benteke's header was cleared off the line. Another time Baker smacked a free header on to the crossbar. What else can the corner taker do?

It's just luck whether a good corner delivery registers an assist - that's why key pass matters more. 

I've said this before so you should know; and since you asked again, you don't need to explain to me how much you dislike the key pass stat because it doesn't prove your point.

Also Westwood must surely have only taken about 10 corners this season whilst Bannon must be  on about 200?

Only if you pull numbers from thin air. I'd guess they're a lot closer, esp as Westwood played more matches than Bannan.

I've seen what happens in match threads when Bannan takes corners... he takes a bad one, about 20 posters immediately post "FFS Bannan", he does a good one, no-one posts anything. He's not great at them but he's really been no better or worse than any of our other takers. Plenty of Westwood's & N'Zogbia's don't get past the first man or float harmlessly too. which is why we've hardly scored any from corners this year.

Also Westwood must surely have only taken about 10 corners this season whilst Bannon must be on about 200?

Only if you pull numbers from thin air. I'd guess they're a lot closer, esp as Westwood played more matches than Bannan.

I've seen what happens in match threads when Bannan takes corners... he takes a bad one, about 20 posters immediately post "FFS Bannan", he does a good one, no-one posts anything. He's not great at them but he's really been no better or worse than any of our other takers. Plenty of Westwood's & N'Zogbia's don't get past the first man or float harmlessly too. which is why we've hardly scored any from corners this year.

Yep agreed as a team as a whole we have been poor at corners (offensively and defensively) for at least 3 yrs

To explain this table -

Total = total number of corners taken this season. Westwood has taken 45 corners, Bannan has taken 65. 

Failed = Rubbish corners. 58% of Westwood's corners are failures, only 46% Bannan's corners fail.

Accurate = Hit target (e.g. skimmed of the top of our player's head or nodded down for another player, i.e. not a shot at goal). 28% of Bannan's corners are accurate, 18% Westwood's are accurate.

Key = Better than accurate. Allows receiver a goal scoring opportunity, shot or header at goal. 26% Bannan's and 24% Westwood's corners result in a goal scoring chance.

Bannan is better at corners. It is pure luck that Westwood has 2 assists from corners and Bannan has none. Key pass is the objective statistic.

BTW neither Westwood or Bannan are "bad at taking corners". Bannan was best in PL in January. Compared to other teams we have great corner takers. We don't score enough from them for other reasons. Perhaps Benteke is usually well-marked and when our CBs have got a goal scoring opportunity, they don't take it?

3342kvo.png

Edited by Con

In all my time as a Villa fan never have I seen such a defence of such an average player.

What  do you mean "defence"? I'm just pointing out the statistics.

Would you like me to invent new statistics to support your view he is an average player? Not going to.

Con? Would love to see your corner kick stats on Westwood V Bannon. 

In case you have forgotten, this is the reason I spent about an hour researching and posting those stats. I got a request, I thought it was an interesting question. Found there were stats on it. 

It's as if some people are scared of data.

In all my time as a Villa fan never have I seen such a defence of such an average player.

What  do you mean "defence"? I'm just pointing out the statistics.

Would you like me to invent new statistics to support your view he is an average player? Not going to.

If you did invent some new ones they would be about as relevant as the ones you do use.