Barry Bannan

villianusa

HeyAnty -

Another 3 points for Villa, another game Bannan starts.  Who thinks Delph will start against Liverpool?

Sylla and Delph are competing for the same spot. They are both better defensive players. 

Bannan is like N'Zogbia, in stature and character - not that effective on the defensive side of the game. So you either start N'Zogbia or Bannan on the left midfield.

If you want possession, play Bannan. If you want counter-attack, play N'Zogbia. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

Delph has nothing to gain coming back into the starting line-up against Liverpool.

Unless N'Zogbia starts ahead of Bannan (despite what you are saying Delph and Bannan are not equivalent players fighting for the same spot), Bannan will start against Liverpool.

Anything less than a draw though I expect Bannan be out the next game.

Delph has nothing to gain coming back into the starting line-up against Liverpool.

Unless N'Zogbia starts ahead of Bannan (despite what you are saying Delph and Bannan are not equivalent players fighting for the same spot), Bannan will start against Liverpool.

The team wont be changed.  Lambert isnt going to drop a team that has won 2 on the bounce.  Wouldnt do much for morale that.

The team wont be changed.  Lambert isnt going to drop a team that has won 2 on the bounce.  Wouldnt do much for morale that.

He should play the team that he thinks would be most likely to win. And for me - Delph needs to play.

He should play the team that he thinks would be most likely to win. And for me - Delph needs to play.

While i agree that Delph is better, sometimes your best players dont make the best team at times

Why because when we played Liverpool in December Bannan came on as sub after 69' when the team were 3 goals up.

No wait. That was Delph who came on as sub. Bannan played the game when we were beating Liverpool 0-3 until 2 minutes after Bannan was substituted to great applause from the travelling fans.

Why because when we played Liverpool in December Bannan came on as sub after 69' when the team were 3 goals up.

No wait. That was Delph who came on as sub. Bannan played the game when we were beating Liverpool 0-3 until 2 minutes after Bannan was substituted to great applause from the travelling fans.

While Bannan played his part in the victory it is about current form. Before Delph's suspension he was in the best form of his Villa career and in my opinion was the standout performer of all of our midfielders. I would like to see him back in the middle. Whether that is for Bannan or Sylla I am undecided.

Delph could come in for Sylla but that won't happen because yesterday Sylla was a victim of a strange refereeing decision (the yellow card given to him for Vlaar's challenge which lead to his substitution because we couldn't trust our Friend not to send him off)... Lambert won't wreck his confidence by dropping him for the next game after we won this one.

I can imagine Delph making an early substitute appearance, around 70', or earlier if we are losing.

Bannan and Westwood have won a lot of games together and another reason for keeping him is the partnership with Westwood is a proven one, while Westwood's partnership with Delph is less established.

Edited by Con

Hardly, Kiwi.

Look back through this thread at the abuse that Bannan was getting before the Reading game and compare it to a more sanguine discussion now. Delph's stock rose off the back of two particularly good performances against Arsenal and Man City.

Bannan was ok yesterday and I'm glad the crowd didn't get on his back. He try's to keep the ball moving and gives us a good balance when in possession. I'm not too convinced about his usefulness when we are defending. With this in mind id like to see Delph back against Liverpool to make us more competitive in the middle when we haven't got the ball.

Hardly, Kiwi.

Look back through this thread at the abuse that Bannan was getting before the Reading game and compare it to a more sanguine discussion now. Delph's stock rose off the back of two particularly good performances against Arsenal and Man City.

Niether exactly were playing like world-beaters. If anything Man City were there for the taking. Reading and QPR although bottom of the league were proper dogfights and we went behind in both.

Fact is we need to win games and that means scoring goals and I think Delph holds us back on that count. I wonder what the stats are for league goals FA with and without Delph?

Edited by Kiwivillan

Hardly, Kiwi.

Niether exactly were playing like world-beaters. If anything Man City were there for the taking. Reading and QPR although bottom of the league were proper dogfights and we went behind in both.

Fact is we win games and that means scoring goals and I think Delph holds us back on that count. I wonder what the stats are for league goals FA with and without Delph?

I still think we'd have won both with Delph in the side as the team performance was that much better, but Bannan certainly did his bit, particularly against Reading, and deserves to keep his place. 

I agree, actually, that City were there for the taking. If the rest of the side had been at Delph's level that night we'd probably have done it.