Should a wage cap be brought into Prem Or World Wide?

L6HolteEnder

Should a wage cap be brought in?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should a wage cap be brought in?

• Yes (prem)
    • Yes (World Wide)
    • No
    • Unsure

There's a million ways around it. Even if it was legal, we would see a crazy rise in personal sponsorships and agents having a field day with various signing on fee's and clauses. The best players in the world, who are best at their profession will always demand the highest fee's, this happens in almost every multi million turnover industry. Personally, i think financially it would be way more messy and corporate than it already is

It couldn't happen just in the Premier League (EU Law) but it would have to be EU wide or World Wide. The former would just seek to destroy all leagues in Europe and boost MLS, South America football and Asian leagues as they could pay what they want.

However, a FIFA wide cap, would be a good, no a great thing! But then it would still have to dodge laws.

What is wrong with a maximum wage law? At the end of the day, we can all live on a certain amount and it would be pretty easy to draw a line and say "That's enough" £200k a year? LOL the football players would hate that!

However, a FIFA wide cap, would be a good, no a great thing! But then it would still have to dodge laws.

What is wrong with a maximum wage law?

How do you decide what the maximum wage would be? You're dealing with a ton of different currencies and economies, it would simply be impossible to do, fairly or otherwise.

Wage cap as a percentage of turnover is another option... but then you have things weighted unfairly towards the bigger clubs.

As The Rev says, it'll never happen.

What is wrong with lets say $500,000 converted directly into any other country via a real market rate which is set at a fixed rate which is taken on the 1st April every year (example). I'm pretty sure everyone and anyone could live on $500k a year.

What is wrong with lets say $500,000 converted directly into any other country via a real market rate which is set at a fixed rate which is taken on the 1st April every year (example). I'm pretty sure everyone and anyone could live on $500k a year.

Well for example $500k in one country could be worth much more in another - cost of living expenses vary wildly between different countries, regardless of currency.

Anyway, your suggestions really aren't within the spirit of football and free market capitalism :winkold:

horse has bolted

but i they would be better introducing some sort of benchmark/Key performance indicator system, with the KPIs set by the FA

each player gets -

a basic wage of say maximum £10k (a limit set by the FA)

they then get paid extras based on KPIs set by the FA and measured by opta stats, so for example, goals and assist bonus being higher, clean sheet bonus, pass % bonus (in your contract if your pass % in a game is below say 70% you dont get the money) shooting on target %, tackles per game etc etc etc

players can still earn high wages, but only if the standards of our football increase, and at the same time i bet the average wage would drop

I can't see how you can limit earnings of a player - if a club wants to pay them x amount then let them - it is killing the game though, with ridiculous wages and transfer fees.

On a different take though, couldn't the Premiership (or governing body) implement a wage cap on the club itself??

Maybe restricting the club (dependant on which league it was in) to have a wage budget in which all players must be paid from. I don't know, say £800k - £1m a week.

That would allow the clubs to pay whatever they wanted for certain players but they would have to juggle the wages to fit within the set budget and wouldn't be able to afford to buy everyone and everyone (a la Citeh).

My guessing is there'd be players with ludicrous 'bonuses' to make up the extra though.

any thoughts?

thats up to them though, if they sign yaya toure on £10k a week and then say if your pass % is above 85% per game we will add £50k on to it how long until we have some shit hot football played in this country?

im not overly fussed about the best players getting paid well, im fussed about sturridge on huge wages before he's actually done anything in the game, and subs who would rather pick up £100k a week than actually play

a reward system will do this IMO, someone who starts every week for west brom will earn more than a reserve at city, if the reserve player doesnt like it he should move clubs

this benefits the national team 2 fold, players will actually try and play week in week out, and they get rewarded for improving rather than money thrown at them early doors

I can't see how you can limit earnings of a player - if a club wants to pay them x amount then let them - it is killing the game though, with ridiculous wages and transfer fees.

On a different take though, couldn't the Premiership (or governing body) implement a wage cap on the club itself??

Maybe restricting the club (dependant on which league it was in) to have a wage budget in which all players must be paid from. I don't know, say £800k - £1m a week.

That would allow the clubs to pay whatever they wanted for certain players but they would have to juggle the wages to fit within the set budget and wouldn't be able to afford to buy everyone and everyone (a la Citeh).

My guessing is there'd be players with ludicrous 'bonuses' to make up the extra though.

any thoughts?

I've had a similar thought about a potential wage cap for a while. Introduce a system resembling the MLS, where there is a set limit for wages over a week/month/season and possibly with the ability to sign one "star" player who can be paid outside this wage structure.

I believe if you introduced this it would mean talent was spread more fairly, like in the late 90s when you saw players like Ravienelli at Boro and Di Canio at Wet Spam. These days top players seem happy to sit on the bench if they're paid enough; if you introduce a system where there's no limit on the individuals wages but a limit on the teams then you could still see Man U with Ronaldo/Rooney but there'd also have to be more Wes Browns and John O'Shea's.

Realistically though this would never work without it being introduced at UEFA/FIFA level though as all the talent would go elsewhere.

It has its flaws but it would go someway towards giving lower Prem teams the capability to sign talent players.

Â