Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Whats happened to all the Downing will be a bigger loss than young bollocks?? :crylaugh:

It is amazin what happens to a player when hes off

Would you prefer it if everyone was on here crying saying we are finished?

If he leaves we just have to accept it, losing both is a massive loss and every Villa fan knows that, but we are a bit stuck if he kicks up a massive fuss and insists on leave. We make him stay, the fans will get on his back so quick when he bottles a tackle.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel real let down by Downing - this is a joke !!!!! losing Young and now Downing .

I hear what you are saying and would feel let down by Downing as well if he goes but I would feel more let down and angry with the board who would have let this happen, the managerial fiasco would have made downing have serious doubts about Villa's future and the boards ambition. If they had got a manager in place faster and of better pedigree maybe he might have been more interested in staying. DB won't be here long the way this is going. He must be thinking what the f*** have I signed up for?

I feel real let down by Downing - this is a joke !!!!! losing Young and now Downing .

I hear what you are saying and would feel let down by Downing as well if he goes but I would feel more let down and angry with the board who would have let this happen, the managerial fiasco would have made downing have serious doubts about Villa's future and the boards ambition. If they had got a manager in place faster and of better pedigree maybe he might have been more interested in staying. DB won't be here long the way this is going. He must be thinking what the f*** have I signed up for?

Agreed. I think a decent manager and we had a good chance of persuading Downing to at least stay for one more season. Now I'm expecting him to go, and I don't blame him at all. I also feel sorry for Bent. I'm pretty sure he said that the thought of all that great delivery from Young and Downing played a big part in him coming to us in the first place. Now it might be Ethrington and Albrighton.

Its **** all to do with the board and AM being appointed as manager. Liverpool are a bigger club than Villa and looking at the signings they have made over the last 6 months, they will be a force next season, where as we will no doubt be top half maybe fighting for 6th.

He's had his head turned and wants to play for a better calibre team. Nothing more than that.

Liverpool still have massive pulling power in football.

Downing - a strange story.

One year ago I thought he was the most boring player we had and I didn't even want him in the team.

Now he is supposed to be this England international? Please leave, and see how your career goes down the tube!

Whats happened to all the Downing will be a bigger loss than young bollocks?? :crylaugh:

Would you prefer it if everyone was on here crying saying we are finished?

If he leaves we just have to accept it, losing both is a massive loss and every Villa fan knows that, but we are a bit stuck if he kicks up a massive fuss and insists on leave. We make him stay, the fans will get on his back so quick when he bottles a tackle.

My point is there was no need for everyone to try and convince themselves that hed be a bigger loss than young when it appeard like only Young was going.

I genuinely am not that bothered about Downing going and never have been. If their daft enough to bid 20m then 'fill ya boots'

Its **** all to do with the board and AM being appointed as manager. Liverpool are a bigger club than Villa and looking at the signings they have made over the last 6 months, they will be a force next season, where as we will no doubt be top half maybe fighting for 6th.

He's had his head turned and wants to play for a better calibre team. Nothing more than that.

Liverpool still have massive pulling power in football.

Completely agree.

If suddenly an offer came in for Darren Bent at let's say 30M - I am quite sure the player would ask the board to leave. Also, I wouldn't judge him at all. What he signed up for was a challenge for 6th, not mid-table consolidation at best. He signed up for what he at least perceived to be an International manager with merits, now he is stuck with Alex McLeish, the ginger tosser who relegates all the times.

I have seldom seen such a fall from grace like Villa have in two seasons.

Hang on, have I missed something official?

As far as I'm aware its all the same speculation bollocks! Calm down until it comes from the club or the player, the paper talk this year has been more innacurate than ever. Exclusive just means one person made up a load of bollocks on their own.

He's got 2 years left, pay us handsomely or he's not going anywhere. He will have to play well if he has any international ambitions. If not he can rot in the ressies with Warnock for 2 years.

Come on Villa lets play hardball otherwise we will get walked on.

He's got 2 years left, pay us handsomely or he's not going anywhere

Well apparently they have made a bid and we told them it wasnt enough. Now theyre looking at other options i.e Lennon.

Tbh, id rather we just sold him. He has no intention of signing a new contract with us so get rid now i say.

Tbh, id rather we just sold him. He has no intention of signing a new contract with us so get rid now i say.

This is how i see it also mate, if he is nott 100% about his future with AVFC, then get as much as we can and move on.

I will be gutted because he is a cracking player, but im sure we will survive.

I think on the basis of last season's form, Downing would represent a more immediate loss than Young - though it's unquestionable that we will all retain far more - and far happier - memories of the latter due to his superior overall service.

Downing was class last season, no doubt. And managing to shine during some pretty dire months with the constant underperformance of thos around him was no mean feat. There is an elegance and an intelligence to his play that we are probably lacking throughout the rest of the squad, but there is - and always will be - a slightly light-weight side to his game that prevents him from being the truly top drawer player he could be. And, as I've said before, the only player that feels genuinely irreplaceable to us is Darren Bent and if a good fee can be negotiated for Downing, I don't see why part of the money can't be reinvested in a hungrier player that can be just as effective (N'Zogbia, Kranjcaar, even Bentley if he were to arrive with the right attitude), and still leaving cash leftover for additional reinforcements. Who knows - maybe the £18-20m would be enough to make Milner's mooted return a slightly more realistic proposition?

What is most important to me as a supporter is how Villa handle the prospective sale. There are stories circling that the player needs to hand in a transfer request - and thus negate any further payments from the club - which I hope we stand firm on. The same goes for the transfer fee itself - based on the fact that Liverpool have only just spent £18m on Jordan Henderson, that needs to be the absolute minimum figure we accept for Downing and we shouldn't be budging. If we remain strong on these two key points, we should get ourselves a good deal (though I also wouldn't mind considering the possibility of including Raul Meirelles as part of the deal seeing as he looks to be off this summer).

McLeish needs to start moving on his own targets though - and quickly. The perception issue is arguably our biggest enemy at the moment because it seems as though one piece of bad news is following another. It's high time for us to get on the offensive and start making in-roads on securing our new signings and the sale of Downing would go down a good deal better if we had already brought in a new face or two and were seen to be actively re-building rather than appearing as the sitting duck we must appear to be to clubs eager to cherry-pick our better players.

We should be using the sale of Downing to say that we are now drawing a line in the sand. We have more than enough money in the bank (together with the sale of Young) and it is going to be reinvested. Everyone has to come to terms with the selling of key assets - and we've had three consecutive years of it - but Tottenham are a prime example of how to use the influx of cash to move on, bring in new talent and get better. They've withstood the loss of Carrick, Berbatov and, to a certain extent, Keane, who when he was sold to Liverpool was a very important player for them (admittedly, his return only a year later showed how rapidly his powers were fading). The likelihood is that they will lose Modric this summer and Bale in the next 18 months, maybe sooner. I don't think that we're any more of a selling club than they are but there is a hierarchy that is impossible to deny, and even with the relative success that Spurs have enjoyed in the last two seasons, they are struggling to retain their best players. What's important is how you respond and the combination of Redknapp and Levy know how to work the market in a way that we don't - or at least haven't in the past. I feel this is where McLeish is going to need to prove his mettle and show he genuinely is ready to manage a club at the higher level he now finds himself at.

My Concern:

We spent most of last season battling relegation with Young & Downing, if we go into next season without these 2, Reo Coker and Walker, then where does that leave us?

Relegation fodder.

My Concern:

We spent most of last season battling relegation with Young & Downing, if we go into next season without these 2, Reo Coker and Walker, then where does that leave us?

Relegation fodder.

I think the fact we couldnt keep too many clean sheets was a major factor last year. So called big named players not performing. Dunne, Collins to name just two.

My Concern:

Relegation fodder.

If we didn't sign anyone else, then we would be - but we will.

If we sign the right players as replacements, then we could do OK.

But if we signed Etherington and Nzogbia as replacements for the pair of them, then I think we could all agree that this would represent a backwards step (more so ME). With the team playing the way they did last year, they simply can't afford to take a backwards step.

My Concern:

Relegation fodder.

I think the injuries and last season in general being pretty crazy were some of the reasons why we were in a relegation fight. Can't see either being repeated this season.

Get rid and bring in Nzogbia and Bentley.

-----------------------Bent-----------------------

Nzogbia----Delph---Milner----Ireland----Bentley

#Nice

Â