The New Condem Government

bickster

but saying all that I can't subscribe to the notion that most peoples lives are determined the day they are born

I was slightly exaggerating it, but I think many peoples future is determined by parenting (or lack of it) and to a lesser extent schooling. The amount of children who are handicapped by disinterested parents (of all classes), or by poor diet (again of all classes), etc, etc, is huge. Whilst the state can do vast amounts to help people improve, the main determinant in my eyes is the parents.

but saying all that I can't subscribe to the notion that most peoples lives are determined the day they are born

I was slightly exaggerating it, but I think many peoples future is determined by parenting (or lack of it) and to a lesser extent schooling. The amount of children who are handicapped by disinterested parents (of all classes), or by poor diet (again of all classes), etc, etc, is huge. Whilst the state can do vast amounts to help people improve, the main determinant in my eyes is the parents.

ahh my bad

agree with the last sentence 100% though

...depends if your idea of decline and stagnation is irreversibly linked to a model of economic well-being predicated on endless expansion and wasteful consumption which we all know was never sustainable.

Awol lives in a place where they can have endless solar energy. I live in a place which has about a quarter of the available wind and wave power of the whole of Europe (or so I am told). Don't fret about oil; move on.

We can choose to manufacture instead of selling our businesses to foreign investors; choose to grow things instead of paying the Duke of Westminster set-aside.

We could choose to educate our young people instead of throwing them on the dole and lumbering them with oppressive debts for learning.

It's up to us. The options offered by the main political parties are unacceptable. Don't accept them.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with that philosophy. I think "we" should consider what we are able to do and utilise to give people here good lives. And what we could change to make things stay good or get better. And I think that much of that has to come from or via Government. Part of the problem is that Gov't listens to single businessmen (Murdoch for example, or some investment banker leader) and not to individuals without huge money and organisation. Or they may listen to a Union leader, or a large donor. It's hard for the likes of us ornery folk to get across what we'd like. Groups like 38 degrees, Greenpeace, The 99% or the anti tax avoidance lot - Uncut, kind of result from this gap. And they get targeted as undesirables, they get undercover police and victimised and students and schoolchildren get kettled by Police to dissuade them from legitimate protest ever again.

government for a long time, and political parties are boot fit for the purpose they are meant to serve. But we need Government and long term thinking and action.

...depends if your idea of decline and stagnation is irreversibly linked to a model of economic well-being predicated on endless expansion and wasteful consumption which we all know was never sustainable.

Awol lives in a place where they can have endless solar energy. I live in a place which has about a quarter of the available wind and wave power of the whole of Europe (or so I am told). Don't fret about oil; move on.

We can choose to manufacture instead of selling our businesses to foreign investors; choose to grow things instead of paying the Duke of Westminster set-aside.

We could choose to educate our young people instead of throwing them on the dole and lumbering them with oppressive debts for learning.

It's up to us. The options offered by the main political parties are unacceptable. Don't accept them.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with that philosophy. I think "we" should consider what we are able to do and utilise to give people here good lives. And what we could change to make things stay good or get better. And I think that much of that has to come from or via Government. Part of the problem is that Gov't listens to single businessmen (Murdoch for example, or some investment banker leader) and not to individuals without huge money and organisation. Or they may listen to a Union leader, or a large donor. It's hard for the likes of us ornery folk to get across what we'd like. Groups like 38 degrees, Greenpeace, The 99% or the anti tax avoidance lot - Uncut, kind of result from this gap. And they get targeted as undesirables, they get undercover police and victimised and students and schoolchildren get kettled by Police to dissuade them from legitimate protest ever again.

government for a long time, and political parties are boot fit for the purpose they are meant to serve. But we need Government and long term thinking and action.

Unfortunately the whole political system doesn't encourage long term planning, or running the country for the improvement of the lives of the 99%, appearance is 100% more important than substance, governments no longer work for the majority of the electorate, no longer are worried about long term planning, about real freedoms, real freedom isn't being told you are free with the 'right' to do things, it's enabling you to be free to actually do the things you say they have the right to, and that means economic freedom, freedom from an unfair tax system, freedom from lives being made harder and difficult for the majority so they are easier and softer for a minority, freedom from meddling, freedom to know decisions governments are making are for the betterment of society in general and not a select few. Under those criteria we are getting further and further away from freedom

One of the few Lib dems with the gonads to stand up to our evil overlords. The Lib dems are weakened due to this.

he was potentially likely to challenge Clegg as leader ... of course this puts paid to that

what bad timing ..... :detect:

Tbh EM gave me a laugh out loud moment in PMQ's this week, his "A veto isn't for life, it's just for xmas" line was a great retort.

Just a shame it was uttered by Milliband. Nothing he says really comes across as being cutting or witty, owing to the fact that he is a huge gimp.

Tbh EM gave me a laugh out loud moment in PMQ's this week, his "A veto isn't for life, it's just for xmas" line was a great retort.

Indeed. Loved it. Finally showing he might have some backbone/charisma/gonads.

He needs more of those types of showings IMO.

EDIT: or maybe he's just got a better scriptwriter :winkold:

Just a shame it was uttered by Milliband. Nothing he says really comes across as being cutting or witty, owing to the fact that he is a huge gimp.

I think if were a tad more impartial like my good self, you might have found a little smirk rising in the corner of your mouth. I still wouldn't vote for him or any of the others on current form, we have...

The Line yer mates pockets party

The sell your soul to the devil at the merest hint of power party and well...

The Look they are both shit but we aren't much better nor offer anything different party

But as an innocent bystander, it cut Cameron dead, he knew it was a corking line and it left him with little option but to laugh along but inwardly fume knowing he'd lost already. He noticeably took his time to regain his composure

Do you mean muttered.

Dont you mean you wish he was a gimp...!

(shudder)

Shame about Chris Huhne, I always quite liked him when, as ever, he stayed off the overt party line. Oh well, reap what you sow and all that. And the hideous Judas party is undermined further.

I agree that Tuesday's PMQs were one of the first times that Milliband can claim to have 'won' it, summed up by that cracking line. Sadly that 'line' is all you I can say won it for him. He's got no venom, no conviction in delivering his oratory. He sounds like he's reading a line, not throwing out a riposte. It was a blooy good line and you could tell that Cameron was thrown off by it... I guess he figured Ed didn't have it in him.

I would say though, as Andrew Neil might also point out (as anyone who watched This Week last night would know ;)), that as good as the line was, it's inaccurate... because Cameron never 'vetoed' anything. He just said he did to appease to a Eurosceptic faction in his party and also to sell himself to a public that largely doesn't get the EU, nor like it, so unlikely to call him out on it.

But yes. Milliband doing something good, someone mark it in the history books, treasure those copies of Hansard, they're gonna be slim on the ground.

Â