Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANy one take Gabbidon as a back up defender?

Yes, if we were a team really struggling for defenders.

Dunne, Collins, Cuellar, Davies, Clark.

I think thats enough is it not?

If l Young leaves Cuellar is our RB.

Davies (if rumours are correct) wants out.

Which leaves Dunne, Colins and the untried Clark.

We may very well need defensive cover.

If L Young leaves, we should get Nathaniel Clyne

If Davies leaves, we should get Richards or Onouha

That would leave Dunne, Collins, Onouha, Clark as CB and Cuellar as well.

I just can't understand why we would want a player that is 30 sitting in the bench, when we could have a prospect, or someone for the future, that will feature the season after this, as apposed to being in the same situation as this season where we have to replace players!

Im saying id want Gabbidon, i agree with your post.

Simply agreeing with Richard that defensive cover may be required, if rumoured exits are true

If MOn wants rid of L Young. What about Belletti from Chelsea, scores the occassional belter too?

Would be a good addition as i think he's on a free?

I'm all for bringing in experienced players but paying as much for someone like Fuller as Fletcher would be a stupid deal, as Fuller will last a couple of seasons, where as Fletcher could be around til his end.

Players like Boyd would be a good shout, as he is available on a free. Same as Owen was not 'a risky signing' as Man U had no initial out lay, he scored of crucial goals, so in effect, there was no risk! If Boyd comes for free, doesn't play that much but comes on a scores 2 goals this season but they are the ones to get us 6 points, i'd take that.

V111A - you have something against signing youth?

What's wrong with replacing ageing squad players (Bouma/ Shorey/ Sidwell/ Harewood etc) with younger, possibly cheaper, versions that are as good (if not better)?

Sidwell for Boateng/ O'Hara

Harewood for Fletcher

Shorey/Bouma for Richards/ Onouha

(all rough examples - obviously..)

Youth is good in moderation - we have gabby and fonz up front so experience is essential.

Also the youth has to be impressive and Cattermole aint better than what we already have sitting on the bench

I'm not too bothered about Cattermole myself - I don't think he really shines in a Sunderland side so I wouldn't be too hopeful of him being great for us.

But how about O'Hara? I'd much prefer to have O'Hara on the bench than Sidwell.

Same as KP Boateng. He is a really fiery player and would be a decent impact sub for the last half an hour of a game (much better than the impact that Sidwell or NRC have on games IMO).

Fletcher looks like he has potential and could be a replacement if Heskey was to leave. (If Heskey/ Carew don't leave then we probably wouldn't need him because Fonz will take Harewoods place in the first team. - but still.. it's just a suggestion).

L Young - Clyne or Belletti (Free)

Beye -

Davies - Richards or Onouha

Bouma - Can't think of a decent LB around, maybe someone like Gibbs?

Sidwell - O'Hara

Harewood - the Fonz

Heskey - Fletcher

and if not Gabbidon what about Anton Ferdinand?

I honestly think central defence should be the last place we're looking to do any business in at the moment (apart from maybe selling a certain someone). Not sure Anton's ego would allow him to sit on our bench either.

I'll try again.... Diego Forlan anyone? As for the link up player I still think Robbie Keane would be ideal for that.

Found his feet in Spain.

Not keen on spending 12m+ for a 31yo striker that didn't score too many goals for one of the best English clubs.

I'll admit, he is a great player.

I'll try again.... Diego Forlan anyone? As for the link up player I still think Robbie Keane would be ideal for that.

Found his feet in Spain.

Not keen on spending 12m+ for a 31yo striker that didn't score too many goals for one of the best English clubs.

I'll admit, he is a great player.

Once that ridiculous spell was over though, didnt he score something like 8 goals in 9 games?

Plus goals past Liverpool and Fulham this season I think show he can deal with english clubs.

and if not Gabbidon what about Anton Ferdinand?

I honestly think central defence should be the last place we're looking to do any business in at the moment (apart from maybe selling a certain someone). Not sure Anton's ego would allow him to sit on our bench either.

Yes, ideally I would totally agree with you. It's just that if we sell a couple as suggested I think we'll need additional cover

Say Bouma leaves , we sell Young and Davies ?

That leaves Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Clark and Cuellar unless I have missed something

Yes, ideally I would totally agree with you. It's just that if we sell a couple as suggested I think we'll need additional cover

Say Bouma leaves , we sell Young and Davies ?

That leaves Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Clark and Cuellar unless I have missed something

For all intents, Bouma is gone and so is Shorey. If we sell Luke and Curtis then we are left with; as you say; 4 central defenders and a left back. For me that only emphasises that we need to buy on the flanks, not in the centre.

I really can't believe some of the people being mentioned on here.

If David O'Leary and Doug Ellis had even mentioned signing some of these there would have been uproar.

Players like Fletcher / Cattermole etc.. are the type of players West Brom and Leicester / Cardiff should consider to keep them in the league (Newcastle will probably even aim higher)

We need quality and class.

this means a bracket O'Neill hasn't gone for before and needs to now.

I'd take Ireland, that is the one I would, I see in him what we bought in David Platt - I think he will be quality. And I would take a gamble (but that is what it would be) on Richards, two seasons ago when he was Englands right back the guy was unstoppable - he must surely still have it somewhere.

But for the main priorites (creative midfield and attack) we need the likes of Van de Vaart, if we can (but doubt) Joe Cole, if we can (but doubt) Darren Bent, and if not, then we will have to look abroad for a striker as there is no one else that fits the bill in this country, maybe Bellamy or Keane would fit the system, Forlan mentioned, could be.

But what I am saying is the MINIMUM quality we need is someone of Keane / Bellamy / Bent or even higher up front , and the quality of Joe Cole / van de Vaart in midfield.

Couple this with "potential but gambles" like Richards / Ireland etc.. and we may get there.

But we certainly ain't with Ricardo Fuller, Mark Noble, Anton Ferdinand, Danny Gabbidon and Lee Cattermole.

Jeez - someone will mention Robbie Savage next for the ball winner !

I really can't believe some of the people being mentioned on here.

If David O'Leary and Doug Ellis had even mentioned signing some of these there would have been uproar.

Players like Fletcher / Cattermole etc.. are the type of players West Brom and Leicester / Cardiff should consider to keep them in the league (Newcastle will probably even aim higher)

We need quality and class.

this means a bracket O'Neill hasn't gone for before and needs to now.

I'd take Ireland, that is the one I would, I see in him what we bought in David Platt - I think he will be quality. And I would take a gamble (but that is what it would be) on Richards, two seasons ago when he was Englands right back the guy was unstoppable - he must surely still have it somewhere.

But for the main priorites (creative midfield and attack) we need the likes of Van de Vaart, if we can (but doubt) Joe Cole, if we can (but doubt) Darren Bent, and if not, then we will have to look abroad for a striker as there is no one else that fits the bill in this country, maybe Bellamy or Keane would fit the system, Forlan mentioned, could be.

But what I am saying is the MINIMUM quality we need is someone of Keane / Bellamy / Bent or even higher up front , and the quality of Joe Cole / van de Vaart in midfield.

Couple this with "potential but gambles" like Richards / Ireland etc.. and we may get there.

But we certainly ain't with Ricardo Fuller, Mark Noble, Anton Ferdinand, Danny Gabbidon and Lee Cattermole.

Jeez - someone will mention Robbie Savage next for the ball winner !

agree!!! big time. we need to aim higher if we wish to improve. people such as ashley young, petrov, and even milner still need to have competition for places. players such as cattermole and noble won't do that imo

I agree with most of what you write Paul. I do think you slightly underestimate Fletcher. He's better than that. I'm NOT saying he'd be good enough for us but I've seen plenty in him to think he'll do well in midtable, not relegation. Of the rest I think VdV is pie in the sky and I think he is hugely over-rated anyway. Joe Cole wont leave London and we'd need to break the bank to get Bent. I'm also against spending huge money on 31 year old Forlan. That's completely ignoring the fact he has failed in the Prem before.

Personally I think we should raid the Primera Liga. Soldado for example would be a fantastic signing.

No chance in hell we get Forlan, drugs are a bad thing. I'd love him, but why would he come to the Villa? Why would Atletico sell him for less than 20M? They wouldn't.

Precisely, I can't see Forlan leaving Atletico now, he won them the UEFA Cup and is getting to the age where moving back to England can be a great risk for him.