Bollitics: The General Election 2010 Exit Poll

bickster

How Did You Vote in the General Election?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How Did You Vote in the General Election?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Jury Team
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Spoilt Ballot
    • Didn't bother

Lib Dem supporter believes in something which isn't about "Power"

Well then they’re the idiots. You cannot effect change without first having power. If the Lib Dems want to see their policies implemented, then they have to be in government. If they don’t crave power, then what is their point?

clearly you don't see democracy as the will of the people

You see what goes on now with politicians as right, when clearly it is wrong

The vast population want change in the electoral system, that much is pretty clear

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone was going clegg-mania and they did worse than last election!!!

They may have won less seats than the last election but they got 850,000 more votes. As UK Polling Report's Anthony Wells notes, the Lib Dems are now in second place in 242 seats, up from 188 at the last election. And the party is now within 10 per cent of the winning party in 45 seats, up from 31 in 2005.

In other circumstances, the Lib Dems would be in a good position to progress at the next election but the present situation puts them at risk. If they strike a deal with the Tories they risk alienating floating Labour voters, if they strike a deal with Labour they risk alienating floating Conservative voters. The party may be gambling that the dividend it would gain from electoral reform will compensate for this.

So in regards to saying they did worse, it's arguably not the case.

Source

I would think they all want the others to fail, it's about winning and losing after all.

shouldn't be. It should be about what is best for the country.

This is where party politics is plain wrong

Quite correct Jon

You see what goes on now with politicians as right, when clearly it is wrong

The vast population want change in the electoral system, that much is pretty clear

The Lib Dems got 5 million votes. The Conservatives and Labour took 18 million on the basis of keeping a majority electoral system.

As for the politicians- you’re right, I’m not anti-politician. I look at the ones who abused the system and I applaud the action taken by all the parties in removing them and the electorate for booting them out.

If people had faith in the Tories they would not be having desperate meetings with the LibDems

Absolute garbage

Absolute truth, 36.1% of the vote is not the country having faith in the Conservatives. That is 63.9% of the people who did vote, voting against the Conservatives with a further 35% of the population clearly not bothered enough either way to record a positive vote for anyone, let alone the Conservatives

See this is why politicians are tossers.
Nice, I think you get various types of people in all walks of life

What Lib Dems and a large proportion of the population want is some form of electoral reform because this system is clearly broken (because of said power crazed tossers)
Yet interestingly both of the parties who have had electoral reform in their manifesto actually lost seats. I can also assure you that talking to members of the public that electoral reform of the voting system was not anywhere near the top of the things that concerned them

, they want some form of consensus politics, that so far is how the people have spoken in their voting and that to a degree is the point right now of the Lib Dem party
Yet the discussions between the Conservative and Lib dems seem to be being criticised on here rather interestingly as parties in it for power

If people had faith in the Tories they would not be having desperate meetings with the LibDems

Absolute garbage

Absolute truth, 36.1% of the vote is not the country having faith in the Conservatives. That is 63.9% of the people who did vote, voting against the Conservatives with a further 35% of the population clearly not bothered enough either way to record a positive vote for anyone, let alone the Conservatives

Absoluet garbage that they are having "desperate meetings with the lib dems".

I think that given the outcome of the election it would be quite wrong for two parties to not talk to each other given the current state of the country in an attempt to form a strong government with 50%+ of the seats and 50%+ of the votes. Whether those or any discussions are successful is another matter

I also wonder if the original poster would think that the Lib dem / Labour discussions are equally "desperate" or whether they are justified.

Absolute garbage

When did any party win an election by getting over 50% of the vote?

Some local Labour MP was on the radio last Friday night saying that the country had shown it didnt want a Tory Government as they had only got 36% of the vote. Well it was hardly a ringing endorsement from the public on the last 13 years of labour government either.

I would think they all want the others to fail, it's about winning and losing after all.

shouldn't be. It should be about what is best for the country.

This is where party politics is plain wrong

Quite correct Jon

Agreed, but is there another way ? While they worry about who wins / loses it's usually the population as a whole that loses. For all we know outgoing Governments possibly plant things on purpose to go wrong years ahead to nail the new government at the expense of the people to aid them getting back into power. I would think all our parties are capable of doing this as it's all about getting the power, rather than using it well.

The vast population want the economy sorted to be honest and then a decent health system and education for their kids and then they want their kids and families to be able to go about their lives not fearing crime or disorder.

The way in which their government is elected does not trouble their nighttime sleep!

that's quite a leap ....

It doesn't constitute a lack of faith just that some couldn't be arsed to vote and some liked another party more ...

All this carping from people about a Cameron & Clegg meeting to sort out if they can form some kind of effective government is quite ridiculous. What the **** are they supposed to do.

Im not sure that a coalition government of any flavour can work in all honesty, but a labour / libdem one would be even more untenable because they would have the narrowest of margins of power and once the libdems found out the exact state of the finances would they want to hang around.

Sigh ...

this week maybe they they do but previously they didn't and i'm sure in a few weeks time they won't either

on the 9th May An ICM survey for the Sunday Telegraph found that 48 per cent back proportional representation

that's quite a way of being "Vast" and as Mike said a few pages back , how many of them even know what PR is ??

The vast population want the economy sorted to be honest and then a decent health system and education for their kids
Make your mind up, which is it? :winkold:

The vast population want the economy sorted to be honest and then a decent health system and education for their kids
Make your mind up, which is it? :winkold:
All of them in a priority order

The Lib dems in discussion with labour and conservatives is interesting and does point to what you would get with PR in terms of political bargaining to see who gives the best deal

leadersapnew400.jpg

Clegg = I do like David, he is younger and more attractive, but then there's Gordon with his experience. Who do I go for? There is only one thing for it, FIIIGGHHHTTT!