Jez

If Mkhitaryan moves to Liverpool they will have loads of goals in them next season. 

Could make a real push for top 4. 

if they sign papadopoulopodopadus from schalke to add a bit to the back 4 then they'll have a good year, top 4? nah, not if arsenal get that irramendi and higuain IMO

really not buying this Liverpool hype. I think they beat 2 teams in top 10 last season and one was a Swansea B team week before cup final. Few good results at back end of season against relegation contenders wont change my view

How did Andy Carroll pass his medical at West Ham

The bloke seems to be constantly injured his hamstrings go all the time i cant remember the last time i seen him string more than 15 games together or had an injury free season

Edited by AshVilla

How did Andy Carroll pass his medical at West Ham

The bloke seems to be constantly injured his hamstrings go all the time i cant remember the last time i seen him string more than 15 games together or had an injury free season

Because they promised him a lifetime supply of carrots if he passed...

horsecarrottheorem.jpg

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

Talk of Mignolet costing £10m.

I wonder if they'd offered that for Begovic already? He's a much better keeper.

This, Begovic is a top, top keeper.

Probably the best in the league, imo (correct me)

I'll correct you.

Very good keeper. Not the best in the league.

I'd go as far as to say Begovic is overrated. It almost seems to be the done thing to highly rate him.

Lloris, De Gea, Cech and, dare I say it, Guzan are all better than Begovic. 

Not that Begovic would be a bad signing. As I said he's very good, and better than Reina currently is. I just feel he's overrated by a lot of people.

Fair huff, disagree though. I'd certainly take Begovic over Cech, he's nothing on what he once was. The hat weighs heavy on his mind.

I still think Begovic at 25, would be a better purchase than a 24-year-old Mignolet, if of course, they would accept £10m.

I actually think the two most overrated keepers are Mignolet and De Gea.

Mignolet is talked up as one of the league's best and he's just not for me, too shaky, and doesn't seem to have the best relationship with his defence (that could've been cos they were crap this year to be fair). Then again, I don't see him every week, and I suspect every single Sunderland fan would happily tell me he's been much better than Guzan this season.

De Gea, generally has a lot of long shots to deal with, which he does very well. He's also brilliant finding players by throw or kick. But whenever Utd come under pressure he's not the sort to come and command a box, calm the defence, catch a cross and slow everything down. He gets swept along with momentum and often ends up claiming a foul after being bounced out the way. He'll probably be brilliant in a few years, but physicality does make a difference in this league, and he struggles for me.

I don't disagree that begovic would be a better purchase than Mignolet. HE's just better than Mignolet full stop.

I just don't rate him as highly as some people seem to.

De GEa's improved dramatically since he arrived at United. He still seems to be overly criticised as a result of his shaky start when he really doesn't deserve it, imo.

He's going to be a top top keeper.

It's hard to be objective about old spongehead squarepants these days. Yet when I watch him he's still absolutely superb. It's just ... that hat.

He doesn't get away with it, but it's always passed off as one off mistakes with Hart. THey always say something to clarify that he is actually really good, this was just a blunder.

Which is true. But I agree with Zatman that De Gea isn't afforded the same leniancy. Fair enough, maybe he hasn't proved himself enough. But when De Gea makes a mistake he seems to be almost ridiculed where other keepers like Hart and Reina just get it brushed off as a one off.

As for de Gea. He has come on in leaps and bounds this season. United (yes United) will struggle to hold on to him soon. The 2 big Spaniards will be gunning for him - and rumours are they are already throwing him the flirty glances.

It is a totally different thing being a GK for a top side and for a side that lets in a goal or three every game in average. Some people don't seem to grasp that really.. Guzan has been pretty great at times, Begovic too, but over the course of 10 shots against every game you are bound to make a few great saves and they are always glorified. Being a GK for the top sides you are expected to keep a clean sheet almost every game and every "mistake" is scrutinized. If Guzan and de Gea make exactly the same errors then the latter is going to be held up in court whilst the former walks free. If Guzan lets in three goals and makes two awesome saves later, he could still be the man of the match. If de Gea and Man U leads 3-0 and he lets in a wobbling shot in the 90th minute he can suddenly get a rating of 5 and three articles from pundits slating him the morning after. Must be incredibly frustrating, as a few errors early on in his career has been haunting him every since. Let in a goal from distance and some smuck will certainly bring up that goal Dzeko scored against him in his first game in the Community Shield a few years ago. Like that matters? Serve me some statistics on how many goals he lets in from corners compared to other top goalkeepers, compare it to the amount of goals they generally let in during a season etc. I haven't seen such stats, but my impression is that his save ratio must be very high and his instinctive saves in big games are often insane. A bit like Guzan's saves against QPR (I think), the ones where you just pull out a save when the ball is destined nowhere else than the back of the net.

De Gea overrated? I would beg to differ, almost every time he is mentioned on this forum he is branded as a keeper that cannot defend corners or heavy pressure. However, there is a reason why he is guarding the goal for Man Utd and there is a reason why Guzan and Begovic do the business for Villa and Stoke. I think Guzan did a very good job last season for Villa, but it is obviously much more easy to get a good reputation at a smaller club compared to Man U, Arsenal, City etc. I would also bet that almost every single fan of every single club in the Premier League would say their keeper is among the top 3 in the country. Why? Because the general level of goalkeepers in this league is very, very high. Substitute Guzan with Krul, Reina, Begovic, Mignolet, Vorm, Lloris, Julio Cesar, Howard, Cech or whomever and we wouldn't see a negative difference at all.

It is a totally different thing being a GK for a top side and for a side that lets in a goal or three every game in average. Some people don't seem to grasp that really.. Guzan has been pretty great at times, Begovic too, but over the course of 10 shots against every game you are bound to make a few great saves and they are always glorified. Being a GK for the top sides you are expected to keep a clean sheet almost every game and every "mistake" is scrutinized. If Guzan and de Gea make exactly the same errors then the latter is going to be held up in court whilst the former walks free. If Guzan lets in three goals and makes two awesome saves later, he could still be the man of the match. If de Gea and Man U leads 3-0 and he lets in a wobbling shot in the 90th minute he can suddenly get a rating of 5 and three articles from pundits slating him the morning after. Must be incredibly frustrating, as a few errors early on in his career has been haunting him every since. Let in a goal from distance and some smuck will certainly bring up that goal Dzeko scored against him in his first game in the Community Shield a few years ago. Like that matters? Serve me some statistics on how many goals he lets in from corners compared to other top goalkeepers, compare it to the amount of goals they generally let in during a season etc. I haven't seen such stats, but my impression is that his save ratio must be very high and his instinctive saves in big games are often insane. A bit like Guzan's saves against QPR (I think), the ones where you just pull out a save when the ball is destined nowhere else than the back of the net.

De Gea overrated? I would beg to differ, almost every time he is mentioned on this forum he is branded as a keeper that cannot defend corners or heavy pressure. However, there is a reason why he is guarding the goal for Man Utd and there is a reason why Guzan and Begovic do the business for Villa and Stoke. I think Guzan did a very good job last season for Villa, but it is obviously much more easy to get a good reputation at a smaller club compared to Man U, Arsenal, City etc. I would also bet that almost every single fan of every single club in the Premier League would say their keeper is among the top 3 in the country. Why? Because the general level of goalkeepers in this league is very, very high. Substitute Guzan with Krul, Reina, Begovic, Mignolet, Vorm, Lloris, Julio Cesar, Howard, Cech or whomever and we wouldn't see a negative difference at all.

Disagree, for instance Lloris  is better at rushing out and with the ball at his feet than Cech.. It all depends on the system the team plays, if the they play with a high line then it would be better to have a keep that rushes out fast of his line, or if you defend deep e.g. Stoke, then it's probably better to have a Begovic type keeper..

All fair comment, except Guzan made what, one glaring mistake all season?

I can't even remember that one now. I might have made it up for balance.

Guzan had a good season, but he was at fault for 2 of Chelsea's goals in that horrendous 8-0 game. Of course he made up for it by making some good saves, or it could have been double figures.

Edited by Voinjama

Last season Hart made more errors than De Gea yet after 1 or 2 mistakes De Gea gets slaughtered and Hart gets away with it

He really doesn't.  It's just that instead of criticising Hart, a lot of people seem to spend their time complaining about how Hart never gets criticised.   It always struck me as an odd observation. 

The De Gea comparison might be a fair one, but then De Gea will get criticised more because he played for Alex Ferguson's Manchester United team.  The microscope is very much on Manchester United players, more so than any other club in England. 

Edited by The_Rev