Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Been using my nexus 4 that finally arrived yesterday, absolutely beautiful phone. Only thing that really bothers me is that the gamma level for the screen is so bloody high, would love a proper screen settings option in the menu. A minor thing but if the screen was properly calibrated then this would bee even more amazing.

Been using my nexus 4 that finally arrived yesterday, absolutely beautiful phone. Only thing that really bothers me is that the gamma level for the screen is so bloody high, would love a proper screen settings option in the menu. A minor thing but if the screen was properly calibrated then this would bee even more amazing.

You want the Faux Kernel thingy ar kid.

OK, so I bought and installed swiftkey 3 for my phone after hearing lots of recommendations BUT I cant 'swype' like I did on the standard keyboard (which I really liked). I have read about swiftkey flow but can only find a BETA version that says it has expired, am I missing something?

OK, so I bought and installed swiftkey 3 for my phone after hearing lots of recommendations BUT I cant 'swype' like I did on the standard keyboard (which I really liked). I have read about swiftkey flow but can only find a BETA version that says it has expired, am I missing something?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Swype is not Swiftkey. Swype is still in beta and you'll need a beta key to use it. 4.2 has "gesture typing" which is essentially Swype.

Sorry if I was not clear, I meant that in the standard keyboard on Android I can swipe the keys to write, does that make sense?

Swiftkey isn't swype, or the gesture typing of the standard keyboard where you can drag across keys to make words.

Swiftkey just uses normal typing to predict what you're going to say next. If you want to use gesture typing then you either need to just use the stock keyboard (which is excellent) or Swype.

For most of us who are on Nexus devices what would make you consider moving to a non-nexus device?

For me I would like to see more concerning the Motorola Xphone and certainly the HTC J Butterfly looks a beautiful piece of kit. I have seen a couple of Galaxy Note II and if they did that in pure android it would be perfect.

Do you need to be rooted to use that faux kernel app or can you use it on stock?

Umm, dunno, give it a try. If you need to root your phone you don't have to reinstall everything. It just means you can access & change the under the bonnet settings.

I thought the point of rooting was to remove bloatware and play with "pure" android. If you've already got a Nexus phone whats the point in rooting?

So you can change thigs that are otherwise locked. Like the gamma settings.

As a previous iPhone user, I can say that iOS does still have some advantages over Android.

It's outweighed by the negatives fo course, and I certainly wouldn't be looking to go back. But there are things it does better, imo (bearing in mind I'm a reltive layman)

Â