Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

My One X is ****. Having wifi trouble. It won't connect and even if it does it's for a very limited time and sits on about 1 bar. Been to numerous houses where the internet connection is fine so I know it's the phone. What a pain in the ass. Had the 3GS for over 2 years, dropped it about 50 times and it was fine. I can only imagine this has messed the antenna up from me accidently dropping it. Idk.

Google are pissing me off at the moment, I am still waiting for any kind of progress with my nexus 4 order (ordered on the 9th of december, still says 'pre-ordered'), still waiting for the nexus 10 to miraculously come back in stock (fat chance of that happening anytime soon) and in the meantime they are so smugly tightlipped about the fiasco's surrounding both devices it is actually pissing me off (first world problems etc...). For a "communications" expert, they sure aren't very forthcoming with information.

Ok, I now have Google Now, I've added my home and work post codes and of course Aston Villa as my team... anything else worth adding?

You didn't really need to add anything, it would have worked it out.

Just enable all the cards then it will figure stuff out about you. It's quite spooky.

Ok, I now have Google Now, I've added my home and work post codes and of course Aston Villa as my team... anything else worth adding?

You didn't really need to add anything, it would have worked it out.

Just enable all the cards then it will figure stuff out about you. It's quite spooky.

After a few days with my Nexus 4 I have to say I really like it. However, it has just made me realise just what a brilliant phone the Nexus S was, especially from ICS onwards. The Nexus 4 is just a nicer version of my old Nexus S. I imagine the upgrade is kinda what iPhone users feel like when they move from one model to the next, no radical change (which you really can get if you move about within Android) but everything is just that bit better. It also makes think that a two generation gap is the best upgrade cycle to be on unless something huge happens.

Will I be able to use my HTC Desire S in the USA (and Canada for that matter) ? Assuming the networks will take me of course. But I'm asking if it has the capability to run on their technology/networks (I'm network-ignorant). I've googled it and the answers seem to be that I won't get 3G - which is fine as I imagine data costs would be astronomical.

The internet says that the Desire S can pick up 850/900/1800/1900 MHz and 900/1900/2100 MHz bands. It will work on AT&T in the USA for sure as their 3G network is on 850 & 1900 MHz. It wont work on Verizon. Too lazy to check the T Mobile frequencies, but I would imagine it will work. There should be a compatible GSM network in Canada too.

I would get the phone unlocked before going out there. If it is unlocked then you can just put a North American SIM card in and not have to worry about getting **** over by whoever you have a contract with in Ireland. You can probably even get American SIM cards ahead of time via Amazon or eBay.

Cheers Rev. It's a company phone so I'm not overly-bothered by call costs. My only concern would be them giving out to me when I come back off holidays :)

Yeah I think the 2 major phone 'types' are GSM and CDMA. You get one or the other. Verizon is CDMA, T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM. You'll probably find 3G will work fine and it'll be fairly reasonable costs too.

AT&T: GSM ... AFAIK, they'll only do SIM-only with a contract. Only shot at non-contract would be to buy a GoPhone prepaid phone (should be able to find one in a drugstore or radioshack for $20-ish) and put the SIM in your phone (AT&T get snippy about known-to-them smartphone IMEIs going on prepay, but I doubt that a European market phone will be in their database). That said, you might find the $2/day unlimited talk/text plus $0.01 per 5 kb (not sure whether its 2G or 3G/4G*) data (free for days not used) plan to be useful.

T-Mobile: also GSM. Offers SIM-only without contract. $3/day with the first 200MB of daily data being at 3G/4G speed. Coverage, especially data coverage, is a bit more spotty compared to AT&T, but if you're not going out in the sticks (e.g. where I am), you'll probably be okay.

Verizon: CDMA. Won't work.

Sprint: let's see: CDMA and iDEN for voice, CDMA/iDEN/WiMax/LTE for data (yes, Sprint runs four different somewhat mutually incompatible networks...). Won't work.

There are a few virtual network operators on the AT&T and/or T-Mobile networks as well, though most are actually from one company (America Movil)

Net10: both AT&T and T-Mobile (as always your phone will have to support the bands). SIM-only requires the $50/month unlimited plan.

SimpleMobile: T-Mobile network, $40/month, first 250MB is 3G/4G

StraightTalk: rebranded Net10, but partnered with Wal-Mart (e.g. I believe that the only physical retailer is Wal-Mart)

*: both AT&T (HSPA+ 21) and T-Mobile (HSPA+ 42) market faster versions of 3G as 4G; AT&T also markets 4G LTE. This is why both Verizon and AT&T each claim the largest 4G network

I don't know whether you know or not, but American cellular providers really are a bunch of malevolent words removed when it comes to "deals" compared to over here. Given that our lot aint exactly great that is quite an achievement.

Google Nexus 10 16gb version in stock on UK play store at the moment, If you want one I'd get one now as they won't be round for long. Best 10inch tablet for £320. Bargain.

Edit: ordered it at 06:30 yesterday, delivery man just dropped it off ten minutes ago, screen is amazing. Just got to wait for my n4 now.

Edited by Ingram85

Putting it into a single line: The latest version of Android outshines the latest version of iOS in almost every single aspect.

I find it to be better in terms of the performance, smoothness of the rendering engine, cross-app and OS level integration, innovation across the board, look & feel customizability and variety of the available apps.

In the following paragraphs, I try to explain why.

Taken from an Interesting article about an iPhone guy who fell in love with the Nexus 4.

Boo without dropping my N4 there is a crack on the back between the flash ad camera. Not sure why!

How big is the crack? As your a sporty active type you may have had a bit of dirt or gravel in your pocket? You could have lent on something like a desk at work or home? My mate does a lot of outdoor sports and he had to get rid of his 4s and subsequent replacements in the end as he would always be scratching it up, cracking the glass etc... just one of the perils of having a phone constructed with glass.

It might be none of these things and could be a genuine fault so I would email google and see if you can get it replaced.

Â