Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Just read techradar's review of the desire hd, as you would expect it's an awesome phone in pretty much every way. But baffling why they put such a small battery in a phone with such a large screen.

Also I hate reviewers criticizing a phone for the screen being too large. It is a selling point of the phone. People who don't want a screen that size will not consider buying the phone in the first place. Review the phone on the basis a person wants the 4.3inch screen.

Just read techradar's review of the desire hd, as you would expect it's an awesome phone in pretty much every way. But baffling why they put such a small battery in a phone with such a large screen.

Also I hate reviewers criticizing a phone for the screen being too large. It is a selling point of the phone. People who don't want a screen that size will not consider buying the phone in the first place. Review the phone on the basis a person wants the 4.3inch screen.

what size would you allow a phone to go to before considering it for criticism.

It's not that there is a limit on size.

The point is the screen size will either instantly put you off the phone or be the main reason to buy it. So the reviewers personal opinions on the screen size should be left out of the review instead of being repeatedly brought up.

The review should be made on the basis that someone wants a 4.3 inch screen and wants to know how the phone functions as one.

Similarly to a phone with slide out qwerty keyboard, it will not be considered by people not wanting a qwerty keyboard. So the reviewer needs to review on the basis the reader is looking for a phone with one.

Glad I bought an unlocked Galaxy S 16GB now. I reckon it'll be the old Galaxy S Pro, same as the i9000 but with a QWERTY and hopefully a flash. I'll gladly sell my i9000, pay £100 on top and get one.

No point upgrading your phone until the new year. The Desire is still an outstanding phone, one of the best and you probably have the one with the oled screen before the worldwide shortage.

There is nothing out there at the moment worth using your upgrade for, early next year we should be getting plenty of new high end phones wanting to ship with android 3.0.

I got my tv out cable the other day and tried it out on my tv and it works a charm. Simple chose tv out from the phone settings menu hook it up to the tv, switch to av and hey presto. I played chrono trigger and mario kart on the snes emulator and final fantasy 7 in the psx emulator. Both worked great and looked great on the tv too.

I go to the gym after work every day and start off by doing half an hour on the bike while watching a show like 30 rock on my phone. My next thing to try was to hook up the phone to the tv in front of the bike. It was as easy as at home, hook it up, turn it to av and turn on tv out. I watched the latest episode of 30 rock yesterday.

It's a really great feature that samsung should have marketed and reviewers have taken note of. The cable only cost £2.

Speaking of games. The PSP android phone is real. What do you think? Dawn of a new era or the new n-gage

Some big rumors about that samsung is going to ditch their custom software ui and dive head first into unskinned android.

It seems they might be making the nexus 2 for Google and being the first to ship with gingerbread. It also seems that the firmware upgrade from the 2.2 on the galaxy s will also be to vanilla gingerbread.

If true it's an absolute master stoke by both companies. Samsung are the absolute best handset manufacturers around, with google devs making the optimized kernal for samsung phones they will start the new year with a demonstration of the power of android.

PLEASE BE TRUE.

Edit: Holy jesus, the nexus s is what it's going to be called and it's reasonably just a galaxy s with google branding and gingerbread.

Google, you absolute heros, they have basically rung Samsung told them to stop **** up good software and giving android a bad name. Then gave them a deal, have your devs shot, commit to vanilla android from now on and we'll do the rest.

Imagine the speed gingerbread customized by Google for the hummingbird would be....

Had a look at a Desire HD today. Thats a big phone and feels rock solid in the hand. Only issue I could see was that, even with quite big hands, I'd need to adjust my grip on the phone to access all areas of the screen.

But otherwise I was properly impressed. The fact it rests on it's camera lens is a bit shoddy though.

Some big rumors about that samsung is going to ditch their custom software ui and dive head first into unskinned android.

It seems they might be making the nexus 2 for Google and being the first to ship with gingerbread. It also seems that the firmware upgrade from the 2.2 on the galaxy s will also be to vanilla gingerbread.

If true it's an absolute master stoke by both companies. Samsung are the absolute best handset manufacturers around, with google devs making the optimized kernal for samsung phones they will start the new year with a demonstration of the power of android.

PLEASE BE TRUE.

Edit: Holy jesus, the nexus s is what it's going to be called and it's reasonably just a galaxy s with google branding and gingerbread.

Google, you absolute heros, they have basically rung Samsung told them to stop **** up good software and giving android a bad name. Then gave them a deal, have your devs shot, commit to vanilla android from now on and we'll do the rest.

Imagine the speed gingerbread customized by Google for the hummingbird would be....

Rumours rumours and more rumours.

There's 3 different versions of the nexus two rumour being spread round, and strangely enough each version of the phone has found it's way into the hands of a friend of one of the tech sites.

I wouldn't count on anything until there's an official announcement, and I'd also say the galaxy s will be a bad platform to base it on (as would anything else available today) as gingerbread is still dog fooding on the nexus one it's not going to be in play for that, and honeycomb won't see the light of day for around 6months, by which time the galaxy s will be old tech with the next gen phones being dual cores.

Yeah that's true that the Nexus should really be a piece of tech to set the standard for the coming year like the Nexus 1 was. But also the point of the Nexus is it's a dev phone. With nothing new to beat the Galaxy S coming until next year and Samsung's monopoly of the Super AMOLED tech.

Google can can kill two birds with one stone and save Samsung from their useless dev's and by getting them to embrace vanilla Android in exchange for Google writing the optimised kernel for the powerful Galaxy S core. The phone is hugely popular and this make so much sense.

I hope it's true.

Yeah that's true that the Nexus should really be a piece of tech to set the standard for the coming year like the Nexus 1 was. But also the point of the Nexus is it's a dev phone. With nothing new to beat the Galaxy S coming until next year and Samsung's monopoly of the Super AMOLED tech.

Google can can kill two birds with one stone and save Samsung from their useless dev's and by getting them to embrace vanilla Android in exchange for Google writing the optimised kernel for the powerful Galaxy S core. The phone is hugely popular and this make so much sense.

I hope it's true.

I'll blow my load if it is. That's why it can't be. It's just too good of an idea for any corporate to have thought about it. It also amounts to Samsung admitting they're shit at software.

BTW, this is my desktop:

eip.png

For anyone who doesn't know about the power of Android over something like the iPhone, take the shortcuts you can have for example, these are the 3 down the right hand side:

1. Direct Contact shortcut to get access to phones, mail, social etc. of a single contact direct from the desktop

2. Direct shortcut to direct me home using Google Nav. Name it anything you like and set any options you want on it.

3. Folders: Loads of shortcuts to dynamic folders direct on the desktop, this one being all contacts with phone numbers.

Obviously this is a whole extra layer of functionality on top of what iOS can do, to do any of those 3 you have to do a lot more tapping, and these are just 3 examples. iOS has only just got wallpaper and grouped apps, which shows the massive difference in functionality.

Â