Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Well it deletes my saved APN settings when I switch the sim card from my irish to my giffgaff and vice versa. So yes it is still irritating that it does that. It shouldn't delete the apn settings I've saved, especially as the O2 saved apn settings can't be used by either of my sim cards.

If it's doing that, then you have a problem with the phone. I'll verify if mine does the same if I get an opportunity, but I suspect it will. My employer has it's own Vodafone APN and so wiping them from the device on SIM change is actually a good idea for security.

It came with a recent firmware update or change of sim to microsim. As last time I was in Ireland it didn't happen. Maybe it's a security feature to wipe APN settings and the available apn settings are to do with the O2's network which giffgaff piggyback I assume. Irritating but if there's nothing I can do then I'll have to get over it.

I don't like compromising though on Android. :winkold:

Too easy :lol:

Speaking of touchwiz, I had to laugh at the most recent engadget mobile podcast rant about Touchwiz. They were complaining about something Samsung had already fixed in a recent update. That the app drawer reverted to non alphabetic order when you leave it. The update changed that to be permanent unless you choose a different layout, they supplied 3.

I like that they've updated things quickly and have had 3 updates that changed functionality for the better since I got it. You have to assume it is in response to reviews and user comments? Bug fixes I can understand but functionality being added?

Commenting from a field in Wales with a Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy s3 and nexus 7 all charging in the tent. The GN provides the tether and the nexus 7 just piggybacks off for data.

Had more time to play with the s3 in actual usage scenarios and have a better idea of what's good and what's not so good. Will do a proper writeup when I'm not on a mobile keyboard, although this is a lot easier than I remember.

I wonder if any of the other campers have found AndroidAP yet.. :-) This is e-Glamping.

Oh and about the next nexus. Samsung haven't done anything wrong yet and I don't think you can beat Samsung build quality, hardware design and QC. HTC can feck off after locking boot loaders for so long. Motorola would be interesting if it gives Google more direct access to the hardware designers. Sony would be a disaster, their stuff has always been rubbish quality, but somehow gets a good rep.

Left field and based on nothing but 30 years of being impressed with every single product, if Panasonic / Matsushita made a device I'd be first in the queue.

Rumours that Samsung are doing the next Nexus with the specs on it being pretty meh. 1.5ghz, same size screen as current Nexus 8mp Camera. So pretty much spec wise same as S3 but with smaller screen.

If the specs are true I will keep mine another 12 months as there is nothing there at this point to make it worth the change.

Yeah specs have reached a plateau haven't they Mykey? Personally I want a 5 inch screen in the same size handset as the S3 and with S Amoled plus HD. Stick with quad core cpu and focus on improving battery and camera.

But really high end android phones today have very little between them. I even software updates have a lack of any killer features to get the juices flowing.

Next thing I want to see is a focus on battery to be honest. Get phones lasting longer.

Conor, are you sure your handset has been changed by o2? I've asked someone who knows more than me and they say that to change what you describe would require flashing the device.

The handset will recognise the giffgaff SIM as an o2 MVNO SIM and is presenting the APNs for o2 (and tesco?) by default. It's not a branding. giff gaff isn't big enough yet to be recognised by handset manufacturers, so they offer the matching network operator and any MVNOs they do know about.

I would think the fact that giffgaff runs of the O2 network may have something to do with it.

Right, I have just spent about three hours playing New Star Soccer. :oops:

It's **** brilliant. Reminds me of the old Amstrad/Spectrum game Footballer of the Year. I assume everybody here likes football, so I'm recommending it to all of you.

I'm getting horrible battery drain overnight on my S3 for example it can go from 40% to dead. I know I can put it in airplane mode but that defeats the objective of having a phone with a supposedly superior battery.

Any potential fixes?

Was listening to Android Central Podcast today and they were saying how CM10 running on the S3 was perfection. They said it's bug free and blazingly fast. Plus has remapped the home key long press to Google now.

You wanna try out CM10 on your S3 Darren?

Lamb of Jaysus, that moron jury upheld those daft patents of Apples. End of innovation if you can patent anything in software now. Only hope is the appeal.

How Apple got damages for pinch to zoom WHICH THEY STOLE from existing tech is beyond me!!! The appeal will be solid.

"The company was also found guilty of violating Apple patents covering designs like flat screens and rounded edges"

Like seriously?

The fact the damages were for daft patents which Apple copied others for and not trade dress is a good thing. But the fact they upheld only Apples daft patents shows clear country bias.

But we all know that these software patents will end up with the supreme court and intelligent people. Problem is they are on the payroll of somebody too.

Â