Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

So people. Sense 3.0 or Touchwiz 4.0?

I've played with both the S2 and the HTC Sensation and I must say I think I prefer Sense 3.0. But Touchwiz 4.0 is also very nice. Vanilla Android feels very basic compared to either afterwards (but still nice and pure :) )

So people. Sense 3.0 or Touchwiz 4.0?

I've played with both the S2 and the HTC Sensation and I must say I think I prefer Sense 3.0. But Touchwiz 4.0 is also very nice. Vanilla Android feels very basic compared to either afterwards (but still nice and pure :) )

Sense everytime. Not so much for the looks as that is more subjective, but the apps HTC bundle in are way waaaayy better than what samsung comes up with. Everything is so seamless in Sense. You can tell HTC has been at it for a while.

Im heading out to the us shortly and as im thinking about changing my phone soon, is it worth buying one out there? Will they be cheaper or not? And more importantly will they still work on my sim over here?

The US phone business is almost exclusively on the subsidized w/contract model. If you're going to be staying in the US for a couple of years, then it may be worth taking advantage of the subsidy (though getting the credit approval could be dicey).

There's four more-or-less national providers in the US. Two of them, Sprint and Verizon use a non-GSM (and non-SIM-based*) system: your UK phone will not work on their networks and a phone that works on their networks will not generally work outside of North America and parts of the Far East (there are exceptions). That leaves the possibly-soon-to-merge AT&T and T-Mobile as the GSM/SIM-based providers. The phones you get from either will almost certainly be locked. They may or may not unlock the phone, even if you're out of contract (though there are other ways to get the unlock codes). Your existing SIM and current phone may roam onto AT&T's or T-Mobile's network, though as the North American frequency allocations differ from what's used in Europe, that depends on what frequency bands your phone supports (and you'll probably pay through the nose in roaming).

If you've got the money available to buy an unlocked phone in the UK before you go and the phone can work on the US bands, then you can get a SIM from AT&T and probably from T-Mobile as well. For AT&T, the phone will need to support the 850/1900 MHz bands.

*: Verizon is deploying the SIM-based LTE as their 4G data network, so their 4G phones do have a SIM for 4G data but not for voice or 3G data.

Do I have to 'root' my S2 to get rid of the rubbish samsung apps?

Samsung Suggests, Media Hub, Social Hub, News Hub, blah blah blah! They're all rubbish and I never use them.

I downloaded Launcher Pro but it changes the layout of the apps and makes them scroll vertically instead of horizontally... and I'm used to my horizontal scrolling, like an iphone.

Is there anything else I can download that literally just moves/ hides any unwanted apps?

Upgrade available.. Samsung Galaxy S2 or HTC Sensation are my final 2 choices. Any advice either way would be appreciated, thanks.

You'll be happy with either. Samsung has the fantastic (can't be stressed enough) screen and HTC has a much better layer on top of Android in Sense.

Personally I'd say Samsung.

Do I have to 'root' my S2 to get rid of the rubbish samsung apps?

Yes, or at least that's how I did it :)

I downloaded Launcher Pro but it changes the layout of the apps and makes them scroll vertically instead of horizontally... and I'm used to my horizontal scrolling, like an iphone.

Zeam Launcher does that by default I think. Try it.

Upgrade available.. Samsung Galaxy S2 or HTC Sensation are my final 2 choices. Any advice either way would be appreciated, thanks.

You'll be happy with either. Samsung has the fantastic (can't be stressed enough) screen and HTC has a much better layer on top of Android in Sense.

Personally I'd say Samsung.

look into the battery life of HTC phones. They can be horrendous. My Desire HD loses all life in 4 hours if im in an area without a phone signal.

I tried Zeam but it still doesn't look nice enough for Me!

I've been looking at rooting my phone but I'm worried about bricking it. It's a whole waste of money if it goes wrong. I'm not sure it's worth it, because I have no knowledge whatsoever of rooting a device.

This.

Tegis, or anyone else who has rooted their phone, would you advise on doing it?

How easy is it?

I've seen a few brief guides on the internet, but I am slightly worried that my phone could be ruined if I do something wrong.

Well, they're all different. It is complicated, but there are guides and the process has different stages, so you can do it in chunks. I did it on my Orange San Francisco and it's not shit any more. Key thing to remember is that you only need to root it once, then once it's done installing a new ROM is as easy as installing a new app and then rebooting.

It depends on the phone, no idea about the S2, but rooting and installing a custom rom on a HTC phone is extremely easy.

The risk of bricking is pretty damn tiny because 99% of all things that could go wrong are recoverable just by doing the process again.

Â