Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Just got KitKat on my N4. I've switched from dalvik to ART. Some nice features in KK...

I couldn't stay on ART, too many issues with apps force closing. Whatsapp for one flat out refuses to load under ART.

When they've resolved the issues it'll definitely be a pretty major increase in performance though.

Just got KitKat on my N4. I've switched from dalvik to ART. Some nice features in KK...

I couldn't stay on ART, too many issues with apps force closing. Whatsapp for one flat out refuses to load under ART.

When they've resolved the issues it'll definitely be a pretty major increase in performance though.

Haven't had a single issue personally. Well, maybe imdb is a bit slower. I don't use whatsapp though. Phone's lightning, same as it was with dalvik, just haven't bothered changing back.

Got my Nexus 5 the other day and I'm loving it so far. My one complaint is that there is definitely something wrong with the YouTube app though. I've tested it on 3 different Nexus 5's, all on different wireless networks and the videos stutter. It isn't terrible, but it's no where near as smooth as watching the same video on my iPhone.

Got my Nexus 5 the other day and I'm loving it so far. My one complaint is that there is definitely something wrong with the YouTube app though. I've tested it on 3 different Nexus 5's, all on different wireless networks and the videos stutter. It isn't terrible, but it's no where near as smooth as watching the same video on my iPhone.

Odd. Mines fine and you'd think it would be all over the internet if there was an issue with playing YouTube videos on them.
  • Like 1

Odd. Mines fine and you'd think it would be all over the internet if there was an issue with playing YouTube videos on them.

I'm not sure if I'm just being really picky. It's definitely watchable, but it's just enough to annoy me!

I've found a few people that seem to be having similar issues http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2526265. It looks like it might be related to 4.4 as people are having the issues on the Nexus 7 as well.

Could you do me a favour and watch the latest X-Men trailer on your phone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo)? It's really noticable when zooming out from Patrick Stewarts eye/face.

Edited by DCJonah

I'm not sure if I'm just being really picky. It's definitely watchable, but it's just enough to annoy me!

I've found a few people that seem to be having similar issues http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2526265. It looks like it might be related to 4.4 as people are having the issues on the Nexus 7 as well.

Could you do me a favour and watch the latest X-Men trailer on your phone (

)? It's really noticable when zooming out from Patrick Stewarts eye/face.
I think I maybe saw a slight loss of smoothness once when zooming out from the face, but then subsequent attempts proved inconclusive. The chromebook was fine but poorer quality.

Have you tried closing apps and stuff? Shouldn't need to but perhaps there's a common link of a misbehaving app or something common between the devices.

Anyone got the Z1? I'm considering it after having iPhones and Galaxys as my previous phones, both unreliable.

I have the Ultra which is more or less the same phone but bigger and worse camera. It's a cracking good phone and the layer on android sony put on there isn't nearly as intrusive as touchwiz is. Dunno about updates to android yet as I haven't had it long enough but 3 bugfix updates have come my way without breaking anything. It's on 4.2.2 as of now. Had a livetest on the waterproofing the other day when I knocked a cup of coffee over it (and my desk) Rinsed it off under the tap and all was well.

Snapdragon 800, fast as foook

Conor said a few pages back something about poor display compared to galaxys but I can't see it

Recommended

Edited by Tegis

I think I maybe saw a slight loss of smoothness once when zooming out from the face, but then subsequent attempts proved inconclusive. The chromebook was fine but poorer quality.

Have you tried closing apps and stuff? Shouldn't need to but perhaps there's a common link of a misbehaving app or something common between the devices.

Thanks for your help! I'm really hot on closing all apps in the background to be honest. I'm new to Android, but I assume clearing the apps from multitasking is closing them down completely?

As one more test, could you possibly watch the first minute or so of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2L2UGZJAM on your Nexus? The lack of smoothness is pretty much constant from the moment it gets to the Planet Earth titlescreen on my phone. The audio however is completely fine.

Edited by DCJonah

Thanks for your help! I'm really hot on closing all apps in the background to be honest. I'm new to Android, but I assume clearing the apps from multitasking is closing them down completely?

As one more test, could you possibly watch the first minute or so of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2L2UGZJAM on your Nexus? The lack of smoothness is pretty much constant from the moment it gets to the Planet Earth titlescreen on my phone. The audio however is completely fine.

I can definitely see it more on there. Again it's not huge but you can detect a frame dropped every now and again.

I can definitely see it more on there. Again it's not huge but you can detect a frame dropped every now and again.

Yeah, that's what I'm experiencing. Maybe stuttering is the wrong word to describe it. Thanks for checking though. Nice to know I'm not going mental!

Hopefully something they can fix in a software update.

Pre-ordered a moto G for my lovely lady in time for xmas (so hopefully I won't have the same postie stealing it like my one X+ last year) - since she's been using a grotty old iphone 3G from ye olden dayes (complete with the hilarious tendency to delete 14 paragraphs of a carefully-constructed facebook message with a single press of the delete key).

Now onto the fun of converting her itunes library to mp3s without her noticing...

Thinking of selling my S3 (with cracked screen) and buy out my contract (about £150)

I've seen them going for about £180 with the screen cracked, then I will probably buy a Nexus 5 so I don't have to get a shity 24 month contract on a free phone. EE have been advertising a 4G rolling SIM where you get unlimited (I think) minutes + texts, plus 3GB of data for £16 a month.

Has anyone in Brum tried out 4G yet? Is it worth it?

Thinking of selling my S3 (with cracked screen) and buy out my contract (about £150)

I've seen them going for about £180 with the screen cracked, then I will probably buy a Nexus 5 so I don't have to get a shity 24 month contract on a free phone. EE have been advertising a 4G rolling SIM where you get unlimited (I think) minutes + texts, plus 3GB of data for £16 a month.

Has anyone in Brum tried out 4G yet? Is it worth it?

Three do one for £12 they are rolling out their 4g in December in brum.

Where will you get £180 for your s3? Mine sold for £170 on eBay with no cracked screen?

Â