Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Have decided to get the Note 3, reviews have been superb and I really need to see if I can use one as my daily phone in place of the S4. I want a bigger screen and better battery but obviously a bigger size is the compromise.

But the new Note is the thinnest, narrowest and lightest one yet despite the screen size imcreasing.

I'll check eBay in coming weeks to see if I can nab one for close to £500 new or used for 2 hours new.

O2 is apparently entirely unaffected.

If I weren't affected, watching the sub-policital party standard damage limitation messages on the giffgaff thread dedicated to the problem would be hilarious. As it is, theres only so many times you can hear 'It's broke, we're working really hard to fix it, thank you for your patience' said different ways before you want to know precisely what is broke, and what they're doing to fix it.

I guess I should be thankful - apparently this happened last week to. I didn't notice then.

I've ordered a Virgin SIM. I'm going to compare the coverage to Three and decide which to move my main number to. This is the second giffgaff outage in 6 days and with no technical explanation I have no belief that they'll fix it permanently.

but this is OT in this thread.

Posted this on Google+ earlier but I'll repeat here. 

I used to work for a PC manufacturer in R&D in the late 90s and early 2000s.

The motherboard and graphics card manufacturers would supply special drivers and BIOS / firmware which were 'tweaked' to run 3DMarkxx and other benchmarks faster on machines sent to magazines for review. Such manufacturers included Asus, Gigabyte, Abit, Intel, Nvidia, ATi, etc.

It was all about the benchmark scores and whoever got top would be given the top overall ratings because, according to magazines (and now web sites), benchmark scores are everything and nothing else matters.

While tech sites make benchmarks so important, everyone will do anything they can to look like they're the fastest. Samsung and now others being exposed as 'cheating' on benchmarks has been going on since the beginning of benchmarks and show how little they mean.

It's come to light that all the phone manufacturers are doing it, so Samsung were just the first to get caught.

Non-story.

Nexus 5 to be c. £280 and will sport a MEMS camera.

Where's the queue?

I've told the wife that this is happening whether she likes it or not and to make her peace with it. And I've told her I'm getting a Nexus 5.

• Like 1

There's nothing to suggest it's a MEMS camera, other than the fact that it will use a imx179 sensor, which is used in a MEMs device, but also several VCM cameras.

Some irreputable blog has found the part number, found the top result on Google which happens to be the one example of a MEMS camera, and in the face of all opposing evidence, concluded that every camera with this sensor must be a MEMS camera.

It's bullshit.

There's nothing to suggest it's a MEMS camera, other than the fact that it will use a imx179 sensor, which is used in a MEMs device, but also several VCM cameras.

Some irreputable blog has found the part number, found the top result on Google which happens to be the one example of a MEMS camera, and in the face of all opposing evidence, concluded that every camera with this sensor must be a MEMS camera.

It's bullshit.

Just let me dream.

I just want a Nexus with a great camera. I was about to get a Sony Z1 until the reviews said how poor the display is.

Vic Gundotra did say they were working on something special for the camera for the next Nexus a while back though.

Giffgaff appears to have blown up today.

Must admit, not terribly impressed - I've never had an issue with a mobile service provider until now. It's quite frustrating.

Second time it's happened. Not to mention how intermittent my 3G loss is which also frustrates. It's a no brainer moving to 3 with their no extra cost LTE going love in December.

The g2 will probably be my next phone, all depends on how the n5 looks and what's out between now and April next year.

A white g2 with the official grey smart cover looks bloody lovely.

Nexus 5 to be c. £280 and will sport a MEMS camera.

Where's the queue?

I've told the wife that this is happening whether she likes it or not and to make her peace with it. And I've told her I'm getting a Nexus 5.

I wanted a bigger screen than 4.97 inches though. Still it'd be rude not to get one. My younger brother wants my Nexus 4 so he shall have it.

The G2 will be three branded though on payg. Probably sim locked too.

Not a big issue these days though is it and with free LTE on Three why would you want to change it anyway.

Wouldn't bother me I'm moving to three. I just don’t want to move to a non touchwiz or non stock phone. Sense and LG's skin are supposed to be awful.

I have no need to learn a new skin.

Darren a Nexus device with an excellent camera already exists. It's the Galaxy S4 Google play edition. Camera is utterly fantastic.

But hopefully Google put a good camera in the Nexus 5 and a big ass battery

Â