Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what has actually happened or has rumoured to have happened tonight?

Last time i checked here was around 5ish, have i missed much?

Can someone give me a recap?

nothing much, just that Mike Neville wants to join forces with the AV06 consortium and make a joint bid for the club.

Talksport are just opening up the lines to Villa fans to call in and tell them whether they believe getting ONeill will make us forgive Doug and see him continue!! I say NO! Micky Quinn thinks we will!

Jst re-read abit of this thread from where i left.

WTF, **** Off Quinn you fat **** scouse word removed.

FFS, i hate that brainless self-important clearing in the woods.

He makes Steve Claridge look inteligent and Sam Allerdyce slim.

Jump head first into an empty swimming pool you word removed.

nothing much, just that Mike Neville wants to join forces with the AV06 consortium and make a joint bid for the club.

Meaning he hasn't really got the money ?

MON is a good manager, but certainly not a great. If he was he would have been managing a top club like Man Utd or Arsenal, and not a club more likely to relegate than go top-10 next season. It's harsh, but true.

Neither of those jobs have been available for many years. The argument is therefore null and void. The Scottish league is poor but he won trophies, which is what he got paid to do. Villa would love some of that right now. MON has integrity and is a top class manager. He has been offered top jobs but turned them down, he also gave unfashionable Leicester a history.

Meaning he hasn't really got the money ?

i think Neville panicked when he heard Lerner was making a bid and played his card to fast, i think he has some funds in place but is looking to strengthen it with padfield.

Its bad but it isnt THAT bad - Celtic, Rangers and Hearts would top the league if they were there.

That's what I'm saying! Three teams, and the rest is just shit. The rest is not better than the other Norwegian teams, and our league is pretty shit.

Folks the article below is the best synopsis I have read so far of the situation at the moment. Gary Jacobs of the Times is IMHO right on the money. If Lerner bids and O'Neill signs tomorrow, I will admit that I am very wrong. However my understanding is that there are still "problems" and that MO'N will not make a decision till Friday at the earliest. He is really pissed off at the leaks to the Enema Pill Howell and at the way his possible appointment has been handled. He is further bemused by Rothchilds involvement (?) in the managerial appointment. MO'N is a man of principle and he apparently does not like the various attempts to manipulate him.

Several of questions to the club? (and Bill I know you read VT)

1) Did a representative of Rothchild have a meeting with MO'N yesterday?

2) Why and who is feeding negative spin about the different bids to the local hacks?

3) Is a certain reporter of the local rag fairly and truthfully reporting information to the readers of the newspaper or is he serving someone elses interests and what is getting in return?

4) Is Rothchilds acting impartially and in the interests of ALL the shareholders?

5) Are Mr.Ellis and the board working towards the best interests of the shareholders of Aston Villa PLC?

6) Are all the potential bidders being kept fully and fairly informed?

7) Are member of the AVFC PLC board and Rothchild fully honouring the confidentiallity agreements signed by various parties?

O'Neill in need of assurances from Villa

By Gary Jacob

DOUG ELLIS’S handling of takeover negotiations is scaring off Martin O’Neill and some of the potential buyers of Aston Villa. The Barclays Premiership club’s chairman has offered the managerial vacancy to O’Neill, but the Irishman is believed to have been annoyed by reports in the local press indicating that he will be introduced as the successor to David O’Leary, who was dismissed last month.

Some of the consortiums interested in buying Villa believe the club may be attempting to stoke up a bidding process. Two of them are discussing joining forces to consolidate financially and make one bid. Michael Neville, who tabled a formal £64 million bid last week, has approached Nicholas Padfield QC, part of the AV06 consortium.

Padfield said last night: “One of the crucial issues is the extent to which Doug Ellis wants to retain a stake in the club or whether he is prepared to sell his entire shareholding. The other critical issue is what the position is as regards the team manager — has one been appointed, is one going to be appointed, the nature of his contract etc.”

O’Neill is interested in the job but is seeking more information about the potential owners of the club. The former Celtic manager may find it easier to work under a different regime to Ellis, who has been in control for three decades with one minor interruption.

Ellis is anxious to have a manager in place before the start of the season, in part because there remains the possibility that the takeover will not happen or the negotiations drag on. Some of the consortiums are unhappy at Ellis’s approach because they would want to appoint their own manager.

They are also unhappy at the speed of the negotiations because, even if a deal could be completed in the next couple of weeks, there will be little time to bring in players before the end of the transfer window this month. The parties are perplexed as to why Ellis is stipulating that they must provide money for new players, in addition to finding the £64 million asking price to buy Villa. There is also unhappiness within the club at the way that the negotiations process is being conducted.

O’Neill is the favoured choice of Randy Lerner, the owner of the Cleveland Browns American football franchise, who is believed to be ready to table a firm offer this week. Lerner’s main competitor is a consortium headed by Athole Still, the agent of Sven-Göran Eriksson. They made an offer for the club last week. “We now hear that there are two more consortiums and we don’t know what is going on,” Still said. “The ball is in Villa’s court. We have done everything in the right and proper manner.”

So it seems Still has actually put an 'informal' bid in. All doesn't seem well though, Ellis seems to be upsetting a lot of people. Stop being a clown Ellis!!

This was taken from the Times newspaper, here's the link:-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2296972,00.html

The American billionaire’s advisers are back in talks with chairman Doug Ellis and Lerner will beef up his bid if he likes what he hears.

Lerner, 44, has been interested in buying Villa for some time but stepped back last week as three other consortiums broke their cover.

The owner of the NFL’s Cleveland Browns was also sidetracked by the annual migration of his gridiron squad to their pre-season training camp.

But Lerner, who made an £800million fortune through the sale of family business MBNA, still wants the Premiership club.

The fact Villa have offered their manager’s job to Martin O’Neill has also helped.

O’Neill was first choice to replace David O’Leary for both Lerner and rival bidder Michael Neville.

The former Celtic and Leicester boss has promised Ellis a decision by the weekend and, if he says yes, will join Villa on their pre-season tour of Germany and Holland.

That leaves octogenarian Ellis free to concentrate on a sell-off before the start of the season.

Lerner leads the race but faces stiff competition from Neville and a group led by judge Nicholas Padfield, who revealed last night they might join forces.

Padfield said: “We have been approached by representatives from other consortia. One is a representative of Mr Neville.

“We are considering opening discussions with them. Nothing is going to happen until I return from holiday at the end of the week.

“One crucial issue is the extent to which Doug Ellis wants to retain a stake in the club or whether he is prepared to sell his entire shareholding.

“The other critical issue is what the position is as regards the team manager — has one been appointed, is one going to be appointed, the nature of his contract etc.

“This will impact on the amount of finance available to buy new players.

“I have had no discussions with Mr Ellis and all of us find it surprising no one from the club has bothered to tell us what the position is.

“I don’t anticipate we will be in a great rush to make a bid simply because we don’t have all the relevant information on which to base it.”

The other consortium interested in buying Villa is led by Sven Goran Eriksson’s adviser Athole Still

Mike seems a strange thing to come out with. If this is the case shouldn't this been seen as a positive.

Mike seems a strange thing to come out with. If this is the case shouldn't this been seen as a positive.

Agreed, has to be taken as a positive. Gives O'Neill the inside track on any and all interested parties, which may help him make a decision on joining soonish, and gives Rothschild something to take to would-be bidders -- yes, we've met him and here's what he's got to say...

Given we look some way off from a winning bid (unless Lerner's the preferred bidder and just needs to formalise his offer), you've got to figure that retaining O'Neill would be a pre-condition for a deal with any consortium.

Mark, I am didnt say it was good or bad, I just would like to know why the Merchant bank tasked with selling the club are reputedly meeting with a potential manager.

Reports today seems to be about the consortiums soon getting tired of the slow progress concerning decision on the take over issue.

It is said that there is anger out because of the way things are being handled and I really hope that the stupid old man doesnt blow this golden opportunity for Villa!

It is beyond...far beyond...how a situation like this should be handled. A few consortiums hasnt even been talking to Ellis...after two weeks of putting themselves in a bidding situation. It is outrageous that AVFC havent been in touch with every consortium to hear what they have to offer.

It is quite disgraceful and I´m again embarrased by the running of the club. It angers me to the top and everything is Doug Ellis fault! He cant do a thing right nowadays and people that are close to him must be so scared to talk that they hide and run if they were told to critisize their leader. This tells me that the hierarchy at VP is no other than dictation...Ellis is the dictator and he does what he wants with the club...and dont we know it!

Please...for god sake...dont blow this Ellis!!!

Mike McKenna wrote

2) Why and who is feeding negative spin about the different bids to the local hacks?

3) Is a certain reporter of the local rag fairly and truthfully reporting information to the readers of the newspaper or is he serving someone elses interests and what is getting in return?

4) Is Rothchilds acting impartially and in the interests of ALL the shareholders?

5) Are Mr.Ellis and the board working towards the best interests of the shareholders of Aston Villa PLC?

6) Are all the potential bidders being kept fully and fairly informed?

7) Are member of the AVFC PLC board and Rothchild fully honouring the confidentiallity agreements signed by various parties?

Perphaps if there's no announcement or likelihood of one by Thursday night then Villa fans should turn their attention away from contacting the Lerner camp to bombarding VP & the Evening Mail demanding answers to the questions that Mike has so eloquently raised. Unless the Board has forgotten the football club currently has the prospect of starting a new season with no new players, a caretaker manager, unresolved ownership with and an impending transfer deadline looming!!

It simply is not good enough that AVFC PLC is not fully cooperating with the consortiums interested in buying the club as evidenced by the Times Articles & Interview on Radio 5

This is turning into quite simply an utter disgrace of the highest order & I cannot beleive Rothschilds will continue for much longer to have their name associated with such a shambles!!

Some of the consortiums are unhappy at Ellis’s approach because they would want to appoint their own manager.

The parties are perplexed as to why Ellis is stipulating that they must provide money for new players,

There is also unhappiness within the club at the way that the negotiations process is being conducted.

And who says Ellis can't **** it up?

He's doing a bloody good job so far

Rivals may unite in Villa takeover bid

The consortia headed by Michael Neville and Nicolas Padmore QC are considering joining forces in the battle to take control of Aston Villa.

Padmore is believed to have been approached by representatives of Neville with a view to holding talks over a possible liaison when the former returns from holiday in Corsica at the weekend.

Lifelong fan Neville tabled a formal £64million bid to buy Villa last week while Padmore, a deputy judge, has also declared his interest in the midlands club.

A source close to AV06 said: "We have had approaches by representatives of other consortia, one of whom is a representative of Michael Neville. We are considering opening discussions."

A joint bid would give Neville and Padmore more financial clout to challenge the other interested parties - American billionaire Randy Lerner and the consortium fronted by Athole Still.

AV06 have already promised to provide Martin O'Neill with a £50million transfer kitty if he becomes the new manager.

O'Neill would be handed £30million to strengthen the squad before the transfer window closes at the end of August and another £20million when it reopens in January.

Certain members of AVO6 were understood to originally favour a managerial team of Danish duo Michael Laudrup and John Jensen if they gained control of the midlands club.

They were said to be concerned O'Neill would radically overhaul Villa's Academy, which has seen a conveyor belt of talent make its way into the first-team squad.

But AV06 have spoken with O'Neill's advisors and are confident they could work with the former Leicester and Celtic boss if they win the four-pronged takeover battle.

An AV06 spokesman said: "We have spoken with Martin's people and believe we can work with him.

"We are looking at a £50million transfer budget - £30million now and a £20million top-up in January."

Lerner has re-emerged as a contender to buy Villa after initially expecting to tie up a deal for Villa with chairman Doug Ellis last week although progress is believed to be slower than expected.

Lerner, owner of NFL side Cleveland Browns, has also made it clear he sees O'Neill as the kind of top quality manager to replace David O'Leary - who parted company with Villa a fortnight ago.

The consortium fronted by Sven-Goran Eriksson's agent Still remains in the frame although, publicly at least, they have kept a low profile for the past week.

But sources close to the group are indicating Eriksson, whose reign as England coach officially ended on Monday, is not part of any takeover.

Still first met Ellis two months ago and had a second meeting last Wednesday when he was photographed leaving Villa Park.

An informal offer was made to Ellis during that meeting which appeared acceptable - although slightly above the asking price - but there has been no contact since from Villa towards Still.

The consortium want to rescue Villa from the doldrums on the playing side - they narrowly missed out on relegation from the Premiership last season - and also make them into a high-profile club.

He on Wednesday night confirmed the possibility of joining forces with Neville. Padfield told Radio Five Live: "The latest state of play is we have been approached by representatives from other consortia who have already put their hats in the ring. One is a representative of Mr Neville.

"We are considering opening discussions with them but haven't taken a firm decision.

"Nothing is going to happen until I return (from holiday) at the end of the week.

"We haven't had serious discussions yet but an approach has been made to me and certainly I'm quite happy to arrange a meeting when I get back."

Padfield added: "One of the crucial issues is the extent to which Doug Ellis wants to retain a stake in the club or whether he is prepared to sell his entire shareholding.

"The other critical issue is what the position is as regards the team manager - has one been appointed, is one going to be appointed, the nature of his contract etc.

"This will impact on the amount of finance available to buy new players."

Padfield insisted: "I have had no discussions with Mr Ellis at all and all of us find it surprising that no-one from the club has bothered to tell us what the position is as regards whether any formal offers have been made or indeed the position as regards appointing a manager.

"I am having meetings (with Mr Ellis) next Tuesday. They will be one of a number of meetings but I don't anticipate we will be in a great rush to make a bid simply because we don't have all the relevant information on which to base it."

from teamtalk

Villa takeover consortiums could merge Aug 3 2006

TWO of the consortiums interested in buying Aston Villa may join forces to try and win the takeover battle.

The group known as AV06 fronted by deputy judge Nicholas Padfield QC have confirmed they have been approached by representatives of life-long Villa fan Michael Neville.

Padfield is willing to set up a meeting with Neville when he returns from holiday at the weekend before having talks with Villa chairman Doug Ellis on Tuesday.

If the two parties form an allegiance it will give them greater financial muscle to combat the challenge posed by American billionaire Randy Lerner and the consortium fronted by Sven-Goran Eriksson's agent Athole Still.

Padfield, in an interview on Radio Five Live, said: "The latest state of play is we have been approached by representatives from other consortia who have already put their hats in the ring. One of those is representatives of Mr Neville.

"We are considering opening discussions with them but haven't taken a firm decision. Nothing is going to happen until I return (from holiday) at the end of the week.

"We haven't had serious discussions yet but an approach has been made to me and certainly I'm quite happy to arrange a meeting when I get back."

Padfield insists there is unlikely to be any "great rush" to make a formal bid until he is aware of all the relevant information, and he is surprised Ellis and the club have kept him in the dark over potential developments.

Martin O'Neill is favourite to replace David O'Leary as manager although Padfield denied claims that he had already spoken to the former Celtic boss.

He said: "I have had no discussions with Mr Ellis at all and all of us find it surprising that no-one from the club has bothered to tell us what the position is as regards whether any formal offers have been made or indeed the position as regards appointing a manager.

"I don't know what Michael Neville's position is in relation to Martin O'Neill. There have been rumours he has been appointed or will be appointed. I have had no contact with Martin O'Neill.

"I am having various meetings next week. They will be a number of meetings but I don't anticipate we will be in a great rush to make a bid simply because we don't have all the relevant information on which to base it."

Padfield added: "One of the crucial issues is the extent to which Doug Ellis wants to retain a stake in the club or whether he is prepared to sell his entire share-holding.

"With Mr Ellis' involvement over so many years, I'd be very surprised if he didn't want some role in helping the best interests of the club.

"We would welcome that. If it was an informal role, not taking a front seat, I don't see what the fans could object to."

thats from Icbrum. i dont like taht part. we are in need of a rush you muppet! We need palyers or we are down! dont like the sound of this bid.