• £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MON has always came across as a guy that is straight to the point. He didn't and refused to let this matter drag on. Ultimately because we now need the sale of Milner to bring in other people.

Only it is dragging on isn't it, his comments didn't end the speculation take a look at todays papers.

Honesty isn't always the best policy and this in my view is an example.

Milner has made it look as if he'd be signing a new contract. He gave fans hope that would be the case. The fact of the matter is he has never had any intention on doing that and was looking to jump ship at the earliest opportunity. MON Has every right to come out and tell the fans, the people who have been waiting about on JM, the actual truth of what is going on.

I'm not sure what Milner has done that indicated he was going to sign a contract, in fact I don't think I've seen Milner say a single thing about his future or the proposed contract talks. All the talk has come from the club not Milner so I'm unsure how you draw that conclusion.

I'm not blaming O'Neill for Milner wanting to go, not at all but as I've said several times I think his interview the other day was damaging for a variety of reasons.

That isn't stupid. That is honesty. I appreciate it and fully expect it from MON.

Honesty is all well and good but not at the detriment to the interests of the club. He could simply have said 'We've rejected an offer for Milner, we aren't looking to sell him but we've told City what our valuation is, if they meet that there will be a decision to make but if they don't then there is nothing further to discuss and James will remain a Villa player"

That would be honest, it would tell us all what we need to know and wouldn't harm our position. It would also be a damn sight better worded than what he actually said.

Equally, the club has intimated that several other players are for sale at the right price. So, even if the club has to sell to buy, I don't think the entire transfer strategy is solely reliant on the future of James Milner.

Quite right however other than a possible offer for Sidwell (depending on Fulham's new manager) at this stage the offer for Milner appears to be the only offer on the table for any of our players. Obviously there may be offers for other players we aren't aware of but at this moment it appears that while not our strategy the future of Milner is closely linked to our ability in the market.

Combine that with the General's comment that the club is more focussed on reducing the wage bill and that money is available for MON to spend regardless of transfer revenue and I would say that you're misreading the situation.

Perhaps, perhaps not. No matter who is right regarding the future of Milner to our transfer activity the comments made by O'Neill were in my view very ill advised and potentially damaging to our position.

What exactly has MON done wrong, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. We as Villa fans have a right to know what the hell is going on about Milner, thats first and foremost. As for Man City, didn't Moyes come out and do exactly the same thing, did it weaken their position absolutely not, in fact it was like a no turning back, i am pretty sure this will speed up Milner's agent to actually to speed up this move, we do not want players like Milner at this club who make out they want to leave to the club but still want to be treated as model professionals. As you say about Young and other players, MON is very clear if you want to go you will only leave on the club's valuation.

Mysteryman is the anything happening behind the scenes re transfer targets you know of? We're bored witless! :(

Been away for a week had text about the Luke Young situation and not sure if it's been on here Sidwell is injured hence holding up the move to Fulham .

Re Milner it's now starting to come out and can I reiterate Villa did not do not want to sell him but he wanted to go his head has been turned by the money and only Man City are in the race . Nothing different from 6 weeks ago !

I have nothing more to add other than I expect us to sign both Ireland and Keane but not before August .

What exactly has MON done wrong

apart from telling the world the player wants to join the team we're tryin to get as much money out of as possible? or telling everyone that hes not going to sign a new contract, meaning that this summer is the last one where we'll get reasonably big money for him? or telling everyone that we're deseperate for citys money to sign new players? or giving city the green light to sit on their hands for as long as they like and leave us with an unhappy player who the manager has publically fallen out with in our pre season squad, while disrupting our plans to sign anyone by leaving any increased offer til the last minute?

apart from all that?

apart from telling the world the player wants to join the team we're tryin to get as much money out of as possible? or telling everyone that hes not going to sign a new contract, meaning that this summer is the last one where we'll get reasonably big money for him? or telling everyone that we're deseperate for citys money to sign new players? or giving city the green light to sit on their hands for as long as they like and leave us with an unhappy player who the manager has publically fallen out with in our pre season squad, while disrupting our plans to sign anyone by leaving any increased offer til the last minute?

apart from all that?

I come on here time and time again and read peoples frustrations saying that they wish someone would just tell us whats going on. Do you think Man city didnt know all that already????

Every one wanted to know what was going on, we now do, if you dont like it - Tough Shit. But dont blame the messenger.

if milner DID say to mon that he was interested in going BEFORE the world cup - as mon has claimed, then the club should have put a new contract on the table and made it public knowledge. if milner signed it then we were covered in the event of him having a blinding world cup and it would have put his price up if city still wanted him. if he refused to sign it then the club comes out smelling of roses and milner is a greedy judas turncoat...

but instead, we do nothing. mon publicly says he hasnt spoken to the player in over a month and aston villa appear to be a pawn in someone elses game again.

take the bull by the fookin horns martin and try being a bit proactive!!!

if milner DID say to mon that he was interested in going BEFORE the world cup - as mon has claimed, then the club should have put a new contract on the table and made it public knowledge. if milner signed it then we were covered in the event of him having a blinding world cup and it would have put his price up if city still wanted him. if he refused to sign it then the club comes out smelling of roses and milner is a greedy judas turncoat...

but instead, we do nothing. mon publicly says he hasnt spoken to the player in over a month and aston villa appear to be a pawn in someone elses game again.

How can you be proactive with a player who wants to leave for god sake???

apart from all that?

On your first point, didn't Moyes do exactly the same and still got the money he wanted for Lescott? Second point is true as we are the fans of the club and have a right to know that he refused to discuss his future when he mentioned it in an interview that he would discuss after the World Cup only to make his decision prior to it. I will be amazed if Milner is here at the start of the season and i believe a deal is not far off, this was a kick up the backside for his agent in my opinion. Has he actually fallen out with the player? I think its more a case of Milner crying like a little baby because his model professional image has now been put into question, as i said i would be very surprised if Milner is still with us at the start of the season.

which bit of my post didnt you understand?

you do what i said in my post - offer him a new contract and force the issue one way or the other. its better than waiting until the season starts and having three days to make any new signings - mind you, if you do that you can make excuses for them being sh1t by claiming that they never had a full preseason...

which bit of my post didnt you understand?

you do what i said in my post - offer him a new contract and force the issue one way or the other. its better than waiting until the season starts and having three days to make any new signings - mind you, if you do that you can make excuses for them being sh1t by claiming that they never had a full preseason...

They had the meeting to be proactive. James Milner said he didnt waqnt to sign a new contract. Whats the point in offering a contract (wasting admin fees etc) for someone who doesnt want to sign one. The meeting was Villas way of putting their cards on the table and James Milner basically said im not interested in your cards.

They had the meeting to be proactive. James Milner said he didnt waqnt to sign a new contract. Whats the point in offering a contract (wasting admin fees etc) for someone who doesnt want to sign one. The meeting was Villas way of putting their cards on the table and James Milner basically said im not interested in your cards.

I agree with you on this part at least.

So basically the club lied to us after the meeting because it doesnt appear it was positive at all.

Mysteryman is the anything happening behind the scenes re transfer targets you know of? We're bored witless! :(

Been away for a week had text about the Luke Young situation and not sure if it's been on here Sidwell is injured hence holding up the move to Fulham .

Re Milner it's now starting to come out and can I reiterate Villa did not do not want to sell him but he wanted to go his head has been turned by the money and only Man City are in the race . Nothing different from 6 weeks ago !

I have nothing more to add other than I expect us to sign both Ireland and Keane but not before August .

Thanks dude.

So basically the club lied to us after the meeting because it doesnt appear it was positive at all.

I don't know what you are talking about.