What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

I seem to think that if Milner was going to tell us to get stuffed, he would have done it by now

Why would he?

Hes just an employee.

why would he? to put the speculation to rest. if he didnt want to join city hed most likely have dismissed the whole thing long ago

Im sort of lost as to what the arguement is here :?

damocles is a city fan

hes saying if milner was going to tell them he wasnt interested, hed have done it by now

aarrrrrr...i see!

Apologies...i am an ass!!! :)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to think that if Milner was going to tell us to get stuffed, he would have done it by now

I don't think it's as black and white as that.

He might be happy to stay or go but doesn't want to dismiss all the speculation incase Villa tell him that they would like to accept the offer and move forward with the money.

How stupid would he look if he said "No, I'm a villa player and happy".. but was then sold a month later?

id say its more the fact that hes infinitely more likely to win something at city that has "corrupted" him tbh

p3 not really considering we did better than them in both domestic cups, barring some woeful and biased reffering decisions

Have you been drinking Dem?

:lol: nope just typos and not using spell checker wiggy!

nedster, though it's practical for us to prepare for the new season - if we buy a replacement and then Man City might decide they no longer want Milner and go for someone else, we'll be left needing to sell Milner to whoever we can - probably losing out in the long run.

Randy has loads of money but he's right to want us to sell before we buy. We've got an inflated wage bill as it is and I don't blame him for wanting us to thin it out before we bring in any more players.

I stated if it's a done deal therefor city will not be pulling out, we have already released 3 from the wage bill anyway. Only time will tell but if Milner goes and we end up paying something silly for the likes of Parker then my point will have been proved.

How will it?

Surely if it's a "done deal" then the new player would still have an inflated pricetag on his head anyway?

If all this gosip is true and Milner won't entertain a new contract at Villa and the deal with city is practically done then surely MON should buy his repacements before this deal goes through. Why wait until we have the 25M+ and then get held to randsom by other clubs.

Also, you said "practically done" ^^^.. which in football is not a certainty. The deal could still fall apart at 99.9999%

Either way nedster, I don't think we're in a financial position to be buying a Milner replacement (who would cost £10m-£15m) before selling Milner.

Randy has money but I think he's going to be cautious this summer.

If all this gosip is true and Milner won't entertain a new contract at Villa and the deal with city is practically done then surely MON should buy his repacements before this deal goes through. Why wait until we have the 25M+ and then get held to randsom by other clubs.

Buying a replacement player isn't anything at all like buying a replacement car. In the car case you drive to the dealer, point at the wheels you want, hand over the cash and go home with your new toy. It's not like the car have any say in the deal. Also, the car probably won't have a third party negotiating, calling other people asking if they want to buy the car before you do. You table the money and it is yours. We are still early in the window (especially considering the WC) and players won't be rushing to sign for just about anyone if they feel they might have other options further down the line. A lot of things have to fall in place first since we are a club that can, at best, offer the same salaries and benefits as many other PL and non-PL clubs. The big boys, Man City included, have a massive advantage here since they can offer money that players will be quick to accept. We can't and as a consequence things takes longer. I know people would like to blame MON for this, but that's just because they are clueless.

Also, I salute your amazing ability to turn a potentially large transfer sum into something negative. If we sold him for £5 mill we wouldn't have to worry about being held to ransom. Maybe we should just give him away for free. There is no two ways around it. If people know you can pay, they will set a price accordingly. Look at ManC. They are paying inflated prices left right and centre. One thing is for certain. MON will only pay what he considers to be a fair price. Otherwise he will move on.

Whilst i understand the logic of negotiating the deal separately, i still harbour hope that Ireland will be coming the other way as part of the deal. We dont then have to spend all summer worrying about who we'll have to replace Jimmy like we did last year with Barry.

On Another note, i could understand the squad building that's going on if City were in the champions league, but i dont see how these players are all going to get game time. If the Schweinsteiger, Dzeko and Balotelli rumours are true, then theyre going to have World class players failing to make the Bench.

Reading the quotes from MON makes me feel that the writing is on the wall. Milner is as good as gone now. Too bad as I think this will hurt us way more than the Barry saga. Excellent move by City. They get a really good player and weaken one of their main rivals yet again.

I think it will hurt Milner more than it will hurt us. Would love to be a fly on the wall at the moment when Barry returns for pre-season training only to see a Land Rover with the plate M17 NER parked in his space.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly, yes I said practically done but I don't have a clue as with most on here I'm just speculating. If it's going to be done which I'm sure MON and James Milner do know then we should pick up our targets before he signs on the dotted line. As you stated daft MON will not pay over the odds for anyone but this in turn might mean we will not get who we want as all clubs will quote over the odds kn owing we have the Milner money in the bank, I'm not trying to be negative at all I'm trying to be super positive and hope we can get the best repacements possible for the right money.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly, yes I said practically done but I don't have a clue as with most on here I'm just speculating. If it's going to be done which I'm sure MON and James Milner do know then we should pick up our targets before he signs on the dotted line. As you stated daft MON will not pay over the odds for anyone but this in turn might mean we will not get who we want as all clubs will quote over the odds kn owing we have the Milner money in the bank, I'm not trying to be negative at all I'm trying to be super positive and hope we can get the best repacements possible for the right money.

I understand what you're saying and it is reasonable. The thing is though that the cat is out of the bag. If the deal is as good as done, you can bet that there are people at just about every other PL club that have more info on the Milner deal than either MM or Damocles. Deals such as this can spark off a flurry of transfer activity, so there are a lot of clued in people that would know that we have Milner money coming into our accounts even before the deal is done.

Also I don't like the idea of us relying on someone taking Milner from us.

If we buy a replacement then we'll NEED to sell Milner. What if Man City then decide to f*ck it right up for us and go for a different target? Then we'll have to sell Milner to a different team, probably for a much smaller sum, and then we'll be weaker in the long run as we won't have much more money from the Milner sale to strengthen the squad. Man City will have won either way.

If there's the slightest chance that Milner won't leave or won't agree terms with Man City then we should hope that it's possible and not jump the gun and sign a replacement.

My worry is - even with the milner money, we are going to struggle to compete with the top 4/5 teams.

We just cant attract the players.

Therein lies the difference between those that are in the CL and those that aren't.