What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

I'm on the mend thankyou snowy, but still not back at Villa Park yet due to the excitement factor (what excitement I hear you ask!) :lol:

Good to hear, that. :thumb:

I wonder whether Milner's experience of being hauled off after 30 minutes against the USA, and then being subsequently overlooked for the Algeria game, will make JM think hard about what a good situation he is currently in at AVFC?

If Villa offer him a really good deal after the world cup will his recent taste of the uncertainty of being in a large squad of players who are all pressing their claims to a first team place, make him ponder the wisdom of a move to a club with an ever open transfer wallet?

I'm sure Milner has the guts and self belief to fight for his place wherever he is, but the last six weeks may just have given him food for thought.

I wonder how the last two games may also have played into that, in that I think he was always part of Capello's plan wherever that might mean playing him.

Perhaps he has realised that having a manager and set up that looks after him is a good thing - perhaps he has thought that football is now only about looking after number one. If he wanted advice on that front (looking after numero uno) then he only needed to look at a massive number of his 'colleagues' in that international squad.

I'm still hoping he proves himself to be the man I think he is. It'll be grim if he doesn't.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can honestly say I would not want to swap positions with Man City.

Yes you may see world class players flood through your door, but it all seems so souless. I wouldn't feel proud of my team or any sense of achievement whatsoever. Add to that the fact your team is going to be made up of a bunch of mercenaries who couldn't give a damn about the shirt or the club.

Man City may win titles and trophies in years to come, but nobody, absolutely nobody will respect them for it.

Man City may win titles and trophies in years to come, but nobody, absolutely nobody will respect them for it.

People seem to respect Chelsea.

At least Man City were a nice club with decent fans before the money came along

Aye Citeh were always a likeable bunch, but the money has turned them into a bunch of words removed.

Chelsea were never this bad in regards to public relations, United are the closest when it comes to being clearings in the woods and poaching other clubs best young players.

:notworthy:

I think Man City fans should just keep their feet on the ground imo.

I'm not going to lie, top players coming in to Villa would excite me as it is for most City fans. But the spending could work or come back and bite 'em if it doesn't work within' the next season (with the money spent the chairman and board will want a rapid return of their investment, minted or not). Either way we shall see. But I think you should just have that more respect towards our club. We are a big club if you like it or not. Ask anyone who KNOWS FOOTBALL. When I say 'KNOWS FOOTBALL' I mean someone who has followed it for a long time not just any Joey who don't know heads from tails.

My opinion of City isn't low. Nor is it high (and i think the same goes for you to Villa) but I wouldn't talk about YOUR club the way you have about mine.

Winning the European Cup 28 years ago? Yep thats right only 3 other English clubs to do so. You cannot say much on it. The club is proud of our past and what we have achieved. City would do the same if you win it in 2012 come 28 years later see if you and all the city fans wont still be talking about it.

Okey we ain't won much since but ermmmm not many clubs have?!

That's a good post, and I agree with nearly all of that. My point about the European Cup wasn't to disparage the achievements of those players 28 years ago, nor was I saying that it is nothing to be proud of.

My point is that this idea that winning a trophy years ago means very little as far as the current standings of football are concerned. For proof of this, I'll offer Forest in the past, and Liverpool in the future (presuming they continue on their current downward slide).

Liverpool are a huge club, who have won loads of trophies, and have loads of that elusive beast, history. Will they still be able to attract world class players if they are battling relegation? Surely, if history were important for a player, then players would choose Liverpool over City or Villa all day long, despite their league position?

Of course, we have players who are mercenaries, as does everybody from Real Madrid to Torquay. We also have players who aren't mercenaries. I hardly believe that Carew grew up with pictures of Dalian Atkinson on his wall, and kissed his Steve Staunton poster every night before going to bed. Just as I don't believe that David Silva even knows who Paul Dickov or Shaun Goater are, despite his stupid, painfully obvious comments today.

To be absolutely fair, I don't even think that the Bermudan Shaun Goater loved the club before he came here, but through a combination of the fans taking a shine to him, and his achievements on the pitch for us, he now has a special place in his heart for us, and is still actively involved in the club. Same with Paul McGrath and you guys; he probably didn't love the club before joining it, he certainly does by the time he left it. Let the crop of players grow and we'll see who turns out to be a mercenary and who doesn't.

On to the reason for the post, Milner (and by extension, Barry). You can launch out as many platitudes about wealth that you like, yet my opinion still says the same. City are an attractive prospect to players; especially talent that is good but yet to win big things. Having the wealth (not spending it on wages) is the most important thing. The fact that we have the money means that we are somehow expected to keep progressing, which attracts the players needed to progress. Weird circle. We are currently a bunch of mercanaries because we have a squad of players who have been here quite a short time, and their affection for the club hasn't hit yet. To think that anybody could have a squad of 'fans' is foolish. That said, we still have a large contingent of youth players who have broken through and are still first teamers, though as the expectations raise, this seems to be dwindling which is a shame. To be fair though, I would rather win a trophy with 2 youth products than fight relegation with 11 youth products.

I don't think it's particularly hard to 'sell' the club to ambitious players like Milner. He can stay at Villa and possibly break the CL in the next five years, or he can move to City and probably break the CL in the next five years. Villa can put any price upon him that they want, from £1k to £100m. If the desire to truly keep a player was there, they could ask for £250m or whatever. It's a strange circumstance this, we all blame the player for moving, yet we never blame the club for accepting the bid when they could have easily said no.

So, how much is Milner really worth to Villa? Let's say we do pay £30m for him. We've just signed Silva for £25m. Villa is an attractive club, and the money will he available if he goes. In a swap deal, would you take the player you would buy for £30m, for Milner?

EDIT: Oh, and actually I have quite a high opinion of Villa which is one of the reasons why I check this forum. I don't really know why to be honest, maybe because you guys were the exciting team when I was growing up. I think most of us have some sort of fondness for the club that made you love footy (apart from your own). Mate of mine is a HUGE United fan, yet somehow has a weird thing for Spurs as he used to love Gazza. Since Lerner has come in though, I admire them even more and do have pangs of jealousy when I see people like Young, Gabby, Collins, Milner and even the next generation like Delfouneso. Plus, my favourite player in the whole wide world, and my personal hero, Richard Dunne plays for you. A couple of season ago, the team that you built was the most entertaining in the league to watch, and it has been grown pretty organically over time, which is something I respect.

Apart from that, the old Holte End was the most fantastic looking stand that I'd ever seen. So yeah, I hold Villa in a very high regard.

Not that we were ever wondering about City going for Gabby + Milner for £44m.

I believe it was our fav billy bullshitters in the whole world - The Mirror who fabricated this lie 5 minutes to some fat arse journalists column deadline. It has been pretty much laughed at by Gabby on Twitter. And yes it is the real Agbonlahor.

Not that we were ever wondering about City going for Gabby + Milner for £44m.

I believe it was our fav billy bullshitters in the whole world - The Mirror who fabricated this lie 5 minutes to some fat arse journalists column deadline. It has been pretty much laughed at by Gabby on Twitter. And yes it is the real Agbonlahor.

What's been said?

Think i've missed this Gabby link...

What did Gabby say?

I would imagine they are looking a 4-3-3 that looks like:

----------------- De Jong/Toure ---------------------

------------------------------------ Barry ------------

----------- Milner -------------------------------------

Silva -------------------------------------- A Johnson

----------------- Tevez/Dzeko -----------------------

Hope that they don't achieve this!!

The plan was always for all three. Milner would either play wide right or as a box to boxer.

So he is a decent if very unspectacular right-winger.

He is then moved into central midfield where he quickly becomes one of the best central midfielders in the league and in that position he wins Young Player Of The Year and sends his value from c. £12m to c. £30m. His performances in this position cause him to be called up to the England squad and be one of the few players at the World Cup to come back with any credit.

Manchester City then decide that they want to spend nearly £30m on turning him back into an unspectacular right-winger.

Never let it be said they don't really know what they are doing.

You've dragged me out of bed to type this message on the computer, after viewing the thread on my phone.

I'm utterly astounded by some of your comments. I must remember you are just ONE Manchester City fan, and the majority are not like you. I live in Mancunia, have done since I was 8 years old, it's a beautiful place full of wonderful Citeh fans. You, however, are not one of them.

Another person who feels perfectly entitled to give an opinion on somebody's character because they've read a post they've written on the internet. You are correct when you say that most City fans aren't like me. If you think I'm bad, you should try and visit us on Bluemoon.

How dare you say the best thing about Randy Lerner is that he isn't Doug Ellis. I'd tell you to go ask my Granddad about the old so great Doug Ellis, the man who stopped him from going to watch his football team play for well over 15 years. The man cost us for many, many years. Unfortunately, my Granddad never got to go to VP and witness the Lerner takeover, he'll be smiling up stairs though, I assure you. The man has been a godsend to this GREAT football club.

I didn't say that, I said that Lerner is the best thing that has happened to you, because he isn't a dick like Ellis. Re-read my post.

Won a European Cup 28 years ago? You dismiss it with such animosity and contempt. My Dad and Granddad went to that final. We have pictures around the house of that glorious day, the glorious day my dad and granddad went to go watch their football team, Aston Villa, win the European Cup - the highest accolade in European club football. Doesn't matter if it was 8 years ago, 28 years ago, 280 years ago, we've won it. Manchester United, Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa. That's an all mighty list my Mancunian friend, not. The list speaks volumes. When my Dad tells me about that day, I see it in his eyes and I hear it in his voice, it's real, it was genuine, it was the most amazing day of his life, so don't you dare dismiss it as something the Villa won "28 years ago". To many people on this message board it felt like yesterday.

Right, so what you are saying, is that winning a European Cup in living memory means that you're a top club? Just as Forest must be twice as big as you then? I can dismiss it as something Villa won "28 years ago", because..well...err...Villa won it 28 years ago. I know it's a pain in the arse, but unfortunately, facts are more important than emotional, sycophantic and utterly pointless rants on a forum about your grandad. You fail to address absolutely any point, and your main argument seems to be "you're a bad man because you thought that something that happened nearly three decades ago is irrelevant to the current standing of the team".

James Milner may go to Manchester City, so what if he does. I don't know about everyone on this message board; but I support the VILLA. I live down the road from both these Manchester Clubs, and yet you'll find me driving down the M6 every other Saturday to go watch MY team, MY club, MY life. Win, lose or draw, it doesn't matter. Aston Villa is so much more than that, you City fans used to feel that way too. God help me if I ever end up dismissing fellow football fans like you.

Didn't you dismiss me in the first paragraph of your rant?

Besides, don't try and talk to City fans all about loyalty mate, especially the ones who have been to all the divisions that we have been. From Rotherham, to Santander, to the Faroe Islands and everywhere in between. I've watched my club stand in the shadow of the biggest club in the world, in their most successful ever period, during our worst ever period of time, watching from a stand that didn't even have a roof on it. I loved and supported my club when we were in Division Two and nearly bankrupt. I will still love and support my club when we are rich and chasing the Champions League. It doesn't stop because we were taken over by Sheikh Mansour (who if people bothered to read anything up on, would stop with their bullshit stereotypical views of 'rich Arabs'), just as it didn't stop when we were ran by Peter Swales.

The one thing that City has always been is a big family. This is an often overused saying, but the facts of it bare out with reality. We invest a shedload in our local area, we support fans in trouble, hell, the yearly meetup/pissup for forum that I'm an admin on was held at City for free and included a gig from Manford. We have always looked after each other and we continue to to this day. Don't think that because many dickheads who haven't a clue about football spout their nonsense about my club, that we have turned into what they say. We are still the same people who were pulling in 30 thousand fans in Division Two.

I constantly hear the 'classless lottery winners' tag, and y'know what? We did win the lottery, but **** it. I've watched my club go from near bankruptcy to near bankruptcy, and consistently snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. We as a club were wrecked by Swales in the 80s and never really recovered until now. I have spent my whole life following a team whose biggest day out in recent years was a draw against Gillingham. So perhaps, at times, we do come across as inpatient or disrespectful or whatever but I don't think I particularly care that much. We've been laughed at for years and always handled it with our trademark gallows humour, why can't we have our 15 minutes of success before we revert back to type and inevitably find some way to **** up having trillionaire owners?

I'm just hoping that we win the Champions League before some bastard invents a good solar powered car or something. Knowing our luck, someone will run over Tevez in one the day before the derby.

I do apologise. Probably should have read your posts throughout rather than jumping on a few replies I had seen to your messages.

Good luck to yourself and Manchester City.

He can stay at Villa and possibly break the CL in the next five years, or he can move to City and probably break the CL in the next five years.

i genuinely disagree with this, i think we have just as much chance as you do of breaking the CL in the next five years.

Yeah, how arrogant and snidey can ya get? Man City fans are arrogant muppets with no class. United have more class than that lot.

I remember a certain London team bought out by a Russian saying they would break the CL...Yeah...millions certainly get you the CL.

Oh, and who do you call that Spanish team who spent over £100m on players last year to win the CL that season? Hmm..