What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

wont this make him the 2nd most expensive transfer for an English player ever after Ferdinand. He is good but not worth this much especially when a genuine world class player went for only 34 million to Barcelona 2 weeks ago.

Ya it's ridiculous, MON should knock it down to 15 million.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone who says that they wouldnt want villa to have a bottomless pit of money to spend like Citeh do, is a liar

I can honestly say that I wouldn't want us to have all of City's money.

How is that hard to believe?

It's a bit naive to think that everyone is motivated by money.

If I was a footballer I'd be motivated by playing football. Yes, maybe I'd be motivated at the thought that City COULD be playing Champs League football in 2012. But I wouldn't move for the money.

It's the football equivalent of selling out if you only move for the money (or money is the deciding factor).

Some people have integrity, others don't. Simple as.

We (Villa) are MUCH MUCH better off with £25-30m in the transfer war chest than keeping James Milner.

FACT!!!

He really isnt that good, every player has a price and im afraid anything over £25m for Mr. Milner and you have to tear their arm off. 1 good season doesnt make you a world class player, consistantly doing it like Lampard or Gerrard does. Milner doesnt have it in his locker to be any where near the level those 2 have reached so cashing in for a stupid amount of money is a great bit of business.

Cant agree more wiggyrichard.............. id sell him tomorrow........

people talk about him like hes the next Gerrard, but at the end of the day hes nearing 25, and has been playing regular topflight football since he was 16 or 17...... thats 8years, a career for most players - but yet he is still a million miles away from that level....... Players like lamps & gerrard had been doing it for a while at his age

If I was a footballer I'd be motivated by playing football. Yes, maybe I'd be motivated at the thought that City COULD be playing Champs League football in 2012. But I wouldn't move for the money.

It's the football equivalent of selling out if you only move for the money (or money is the deciding factor).

Very easy to say that when youre not in the situation, many fans dont earn the money these footballers do but its all relevant, its what theyre used to and its not different than someone on 35k a year then being offered 60k elsewhere to do the same job. Why shouldnt he go and do the same job elsewhere for more money if its not a step backwards in footballing terms.

We as fans find it hard to understand as most of us would love to play at that level and most would do it for a percent of what they do, but they are used to it and fair play to them.

Plus if Milner moved his integrity would still be in tact.

We (Villa) are MUCH MUCH better off with £25-30m in the transfer war chest than keeping James Milner.

FACT!!!

He really isnt that good, every player has a price and im afraid anything over £25m for Mr. Milner and you have to tear their arm off. 1 good season doesnt make you a world class player, consistantly doing it like Lampard or Gerrard does. Milner doesnt have it in his locker to be any where near the level those 2 have reached so cashing in for a stupid amount of money is a great bit of business.

Fact? Its not fact at all its your opinion!

How do you know that MON's limited transfer confidence will do any better with that money?

Good players do it season on season do they, well its interesting how he moved into the centre and did it, before we can see if he can do it season on season we ship him out.

Milner is not worth 30mill not in the slightest, but he is very important to Villa.

Its debatable not fact that we can use that money to replace him.

Fact? Blimey, that isn't even close to being a fact. Opinion, sure but fact no chance.

Is Milner worth £30m? Probably not but that isn't really the point. Financially will be better off selling him for that sort of price, I'll accept that as a fact. I won't though accept as a fact that we would be in a better position as a club, we may end up being or we may waste the money and go backwards, who knows.

We will have to be careful though because two summers running losing your best player has an affect on many things in and around the club no matter how much you get for them.

FACT!!!

How do you know that MON's limited transfer confidence will do any better with that money?

Good players do it season on season do they, well its interesting how he moved into the centre and did it, before we can see if he can do it season on season we ship him out.

Milner is not worth 30mill not in the slightest, but he is very important to Villa.

MON brought Milner for £12m, shifted him to the centre and now he is being touted around for a possible £25-30m transfer. If MON can do that with Milner than he can do it with others.

Milner is not worth anything over £20m IMO so to get an extra £10m on his top line value is a very nice bonus.

Milner did not play well in every game this season, that is FACT. Milner can disappear in games, that also is FACT Jez.

Like it or lump it Milner is not that good, you have just jumped on the ''Man City have offered a stupid amount of money, so he must be world class'' bandwagon.

He can be replaced. And if his head has been turned as MYSTERYMAN states, well he can leave now for all im concerned.

MON is so limited in the transfer market that he signed a player for £12m and is now about to sell him for £30m...thats real limited transfer confidance Jez! :lol:

Or shall we keep hold of Milner and sell him for **** all compared to the price we could receive now ay Jez?! Real smart :winkold:

Fact? Blimey, that isn't even close to being a fact. Opinion, sure but fact no chance.

Is Milner worth £30m? Probably not but that isn't really the point. Financially will be better off selling him for that sort of price, I'll accept that as a fact. I won't though accept as a fact that we would be in a better position as a club, we may end up being or we may waste the money and go backwards, who knows.

We will have to be careful though because two summers running losing your best player has an affect on many things in and around the club no matter how much you get for them.

Ok i will put it like this.

Milner signs for £30m, MON is given the money to spend from his sale.

MON signs someone who is equel if not better for £20m (which could easily be done, the only reason Milner is going to go for any where near £30m is because we are holding MC to ransom cause we know they have loads of cash) and has £10m left over.

So with an equel replacement and £10m change, i would say that its FACT we would be in a better position.

Very easy to say that when youre not in the situation, many fans dont earn the money these footballers do but its all relevant, its what theyre used to and its not different than someone on 35k a year then being offered 60k elsewhere to do the same job. Why shouldnt he go and do the same job elsewhere for more money if its not a step backwards in footballing terms.

We as fans find it hard to understand as most of us would love to play at that level and most would do it for a percent of what they do, but they are used to it and fair play to them.

Plus if Milner moved his integrity would still be in tact.

No-where in my post do I mention Milner.

I'm not on about our specific Villa-related situation. I'm on about my opinion that I wouldn't want Villa to have a bottomless pit of money because I believe it's killing football.

Also - to do with the Milner situation. If his head has been turned by money, then fine. But if he goes to City and, like this year, they DON'T get into the Champions League (plus the fact that he could end up playing a lot less than he has this year) then how happy will he feel next summer?

Yes, he'll have loads and loads of money.. But will that make up for the fact that he's not made the Champs League, that he's in a team of superstars competing for a starting place, that he could have gone down in the England Manager's estimations (because of a possible lack of game time), that he could be in a team that has a new manager if the current one doesn't produce results?

FACT!!!

MON brought Milner for £12m, shifted him to the centre and now he is being touted around for a possible £25-30m transfer. If MON can do that with Milner than he can do it with others.

Milner is not worth anything over £20m IMO so to get an extra £10m on his top line value is a very nice bonus.

Milner did not play well in every game this season, that is FACT. Milner can disappear in games, that also is FACT Jez.

Like it or lump it Milner is not that good, you have just jumped on the ''Man City have offered a stupid amount of money, so he must be world class'' bandwagon.

He can be replaced. And if his head has been turned as MYSTERYMAN states, well he can leave now for all im concerned.

MON is so limited in the transfer market that he signed a player for £12m and is now about to sell him for £30m...thats real limited transfer confidance Jez! :lol:

Or shall we keep hold of Milner and sell him for **** all compared to the price we could receive now ay Jez?! Real smart :winkold:

Sidwell £5m

Marlon £4m

NRC £8m

Downing £12m

Shorey £4m

Beye £2.5m

Heskey £3.5m

Davies £10m

Routledge £1.5m

Nope sorry mate not buying that as a fact. There are far too many 'if's' in there to go labelling that as fact, far too many.

First, this player we are going to sign for £10m less than we sell Milner for who is better than Milner, who exactly is he and if he is £10m cheaper and 'equel if not better' then why aren't Man City trying to sign him instead? Because I tell you what they have a far more extensive scouting network than we do.

Come on, give me 3 names of players you think fit the bill as being as good, if not better that we could realistically with our wage limits and lack of CL football go and get. Please don't respond with the I'm not a scout arguement, if you are saying we can easily do it name some names.

Nope sorry mate not buying that as a fact. There are far too many 'if's' in there to go labelling that as fact, far too many.

First, this player we are going to sign for £10m less than we sell Milner for who is better than Milner, who exactly is he and if he is £10m cheaper and 'equel if not better' then why aren't Man City trying to sign him instead? Because I tell you what they have a far more extensive scouting network than we do.

Come on, give me 3 names of players you think fit the bill as being as good, if not better that we could realistically with our wage limits and lack of CL football go and get. Please don't respond with the I'm not a scout arguement, if you are saying we can easily do it name some names.

:lol: well you know im not on the Villa payrole!

But here goes:

Mbark Boussoufa

Steven Defour

Miguel Veloso

Jamie O'Hara

Nuri Sahin

João Moutinho (maybe a bit too optimistic)

Stephen Ireland

Van Der Vaart (maybe a bit too optimistic)

Nope once again its not a FACT nothing of what you put is fact apart from us being better off its just your opinion.

Baring in mind unless MON changes his tune about signings we're going to use all this money to sign a replacement from within the premier league.

Who better than Milner are we going to get?

As Trent said lets hear these players.

Remember only in this country ;)

Ok i will put it like this.

Milner signs for £30m, MON is given the money to spend from his sale.

MON signs someone who is equel if not better for £20m (which could easily be done, the only reason Milner is going to go for any where near £30m is because we are holding MC to ransom cause we know they have loads of cash) and has £10m left over.

So with an equel replacement and £10m change, i would say that its FACT we would be in a better position.

OR -

We get a replacement, for example Stephen Ireland, who flops in Villa colours and can't regain his form from 2 years ago.

With the other money from the transfer we buy 2 players. Similar to the signings of NRC and Davies.. Two players who either fall out with the manager/ are inconsistent/ are overrated.

If that happened then we'd be wishing we'd kept Milner, I'm sure.

Thats the stumbling block mate :)

Yup.

From your list above MON will only probably consider O'Hara and Ireland, neither who are better than Milner especially not O'Hara.

So now you see its not such a great plan to lose him.

Thats the stumbling block mate :)

Yup.

From your list above MON will only probably consider O'Hara and Ireland, neither who are better than Milner especially not O'Hara.

So now you see its not such a great plan to lose him.

See my post 2 above :cry:

I would argue that Ireland is on a par, and O'Hara has the potential and is as good as Milner, he's as good as Milner was it the same age.