The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

I can see the argument for the AEW strap going to NJPW being quite a sensible one, but I don't think the opponent or timing is right. 

Firstly, Tana winning is definitely cool from a non-Njpw point of view, but within NJPW it would be a bit weird, cos he just isn't in the world Heavyweight title picture anymore. He's started his decline away from the main title picture over the last few years, with his last reign being as a transitional champion when they knew Kenny was leaving, and having had only 1 title match in getting on for 4 years. OK, he still is the ace, though. 

Then there's the timing. The G1 - New Japan's premier tournament in the calendar year (cos there's a few!) - starts in July. No one EVER wins all their matches, and there's not a chance that Tana doesn't lose 3 or 4 times in the course of those 9 matches. Last year his record was 4 wins, 5 loses. 

The way that works in NJPW is, if a title holder is pinned (G1 matches are always non title affairs), the winner will be next in line to challenge them (usually!). As a 'young' promotion with very little presence in Japan, it wouldn't be seen as unusual for the AEW champ being pinned multiple times in the tournament and getting a challenge from one of those victors. 

With more Western eyes on those events as a result though, in this hypothetical situation, then Tana as AEW would look incredibly weak as champion, and so would the belt. 

A possible way around that would be to have Moxley win it, and take it to Japan. He represents AEW well, the crowd in Japan know him, he's been in the G1 before...and actually when he was in it, I'm sure he had a streak of something like 7-0 before falling away at the end. It's totally possible to finish on 7-1-1 and not make the finals of the G1, and have that single loss to crown your challenger. Thinking about it, that would be great...BUT...would Moxley do a tour of Japan at the moment? And would AEW send someone else over so soon after Yuta taking part in the Best of Super Juniors? 

Moxley v Tana has been teased for years, and I kind of feel NJPW would want that in Japan, but you never know. 

As for Kenta, seeing as he just came back from injury (having been completely **** up after his match with Tana at WK in Jan), would be nice to see him back in AEW, although obviously the Punk match can't happen yet. Maybe a match with Danielson? 

• Like 1

I like the idea of jay white winning it. But he has been in tna impact recently.

Imagine omega comes back as suprise entrant and wins the abttle royal and gets the belt back. A punk omega feud would be great.

But i think we will get a omega young bucks vs adame cole red dragon feud eventually 

The Omega situation is interesting with what's going on at the moment, both for AEW and NJPW. He's clearly a legit champion, and any fued in AEW would be great to see. We can also reasonably assume he's pretty close to coming back. 

And they love him in NJPW, so the AEW strap would seem like a huge deal if he was wearing it during the G1. I can't personally imagine him coming back from his hiatus and going straight in to the most gruelling month-ish long schedule in the world of professional wrestling...plus, a few appearences in front of AEW crowds and then he disappears again? Not sure. 

I would love to see him in the G1, though. So so much has changed since he left NJPW...Bullet Club hate him, members of the Main Unit like Tama hate him, LiJ never had any love for him, he'd have the shenanigans of House of Torture and United Empire to contend with...his closest allies may be Chaos, which would be kind of bizarre, but also a nice way to draw a line under the legendary Okada fued, especially if they tagged together in the multiman matches on their non tournament match events during the G1 tour. 

Anyway, that's deep into the realm of fantasy booking. 

What isn't fantasy booking is that it might not be the Ace of the Universe, the Once in a Century Talent, The Ace, Hiroshi Tanahashi facing the winner of the battle royal after all. They've announced that he and Goto have a match at Dominion, and the winner of that will go on to main event Forbidden Door. Goto is similar to Ishii in that he can be presented as a legit challenger easily, and can always put on a great match. He's also always the bridesmaid, though, and will never win the big one. 

Hell in a cell tonight and arguably one of the worst ppv builds and cards in years.

I think this shows goung to be a disaster.

I think they putting All their hopes and rollins rhodes III

Other than that im only looking forward to judgement day vs too sweet

I wonder if there is actually an endgame for this Ezekiel/Elias thing or is it (as I suspect) something Vince thought about for no longer than a few minutes, thought it was funny enough to put into a storyline but then goes nowhere with no payoff whatsoever until Ezekiel/Elias gets released in a few years time? 

Spoiler

Yawn

Credit to cody for competing eith a legitimate injury

But the ppv for me was utter gash and predictable. 

Compare that to double or nothing. Double or nothing was 5x better than this

How can you only have one HITC match in a HITC ppv? No reigns, riddle or rousey. Absolutely pathetic shite form vince. No wonder everyone is fed up of wwe these days

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I’ve got tickets for Clash at the Castle but I’m not overly expectant of them bothering to put on a decent show for us.

Its gonna bw shite. It will be mcintyre  vs reigns with reigns winning. (Yawn)

If they had any sense they should have mcintyre winning one of reigns belts.  Having one title holder is shite

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:
  Hide contents

Big swerve on raw that probably no one saw coming with edge

But way to go vince for **** up the only good fa tion you had on tv right now. What a shambles.

Spoiler

I think with Cody out, they need a big face (Edge). And honestly, Balor is a superb heel. Could be awesome. 

31 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:
  Hide contents

I think with Cody out, they need a big face (Edge). And honestly, Balor is a superb heel. Could be awesome. 

Spoiler

I think it was way too soon to have them turn on him. They have other faces like aj styles, lashley. They should have just added balor and then have him turn on edge after they win tag titles or something like that.

I just think it made no sense storyline wise. Why would you go with balor over edge when balors been losing for months and they been unstoppable under edge. Wierd booking.

They could have even turned rollins face at the start and have the judgement day take cody out. Setting up a cody vs edge feud later on when he returns.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Vince did the same with the Hurt Business. Broke them up just as they were cementing as a viable stable. Then, bam, gone pal! Same with this. They’re stupid. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:
  Hide contents

Vince did the same with the Hurt Business. Broke them up just as they were cementing as a viable stable. Then, bam, gone pal! Same with this. They’re stupid. 

Spoiler

I completely agree. One thing vince is absolutely terirble at, and aew is excellent at is creating and establishing stables.

The hurt business was a very good faction and as you rightly say was torn up when they were getting momentum.  Now alexandra and Benjamin have nothing. 

As for the judgement day they were given what 2-3 weeks. Absolutely ridiculous booking. Should have given them some gold then turned on edge in few months time. I bet the faction flops without edge and they break up in next couple months

Big impact on AEWs Forbidden Door following today's Dominion event in NJPW 

Spoiler

Jay White beats Okada to be the new world Heavyweight champion 

Tanahashi beats Goto to face Moxley (shocker) 

Ospreay beats Sanada for the vacated US title

Karl Anderson beats Tama for the openweight title

Cobb and O-Khan beat Fale and Owens for the tag titles 

Lance Archer confirmed as the only AEW representative in this years G1

Jeff Hardy arrested for a DUI again. Massively over the limit. He’s going to kill someone one day. Feel sad for him but he’s a liability and needs help. I said last time when he left that I wasn’t entirely convinced he was back on the straight and narrow and maybe WWE were right to ask him to get sorted. He needs to agree to rehab again or have his contract terminated. TK needs to step up with this. 

Edited by Ingram85

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Jeff Hardy arrested for a DUI again. Massively over the limit. He’s going to kill someone one day. Feel sad for him but he’s a liability and needs help. I said last time when he left that I wasn’t entirely convinced he was back on the straight and narrow and maybe WWE were right to ask him to get sorted. He needs to agree to rehab again or have his contract terminated. TK needs to step up with this. 

Irresponsible idiot

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

He needs to agree to rehab again or have his contract terminated.

He needs to be canned either way, I think.  Absolutely inexcusable, and the more details that come out the worse it gets (repeat offender, suspended licence, no interlock device).

• Like 2

Â