90 members have voted

1. 1. Which party gets your X

• Conservative (and UUP alliance)
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Jury Team (Coallition of Independents)
    • Spoil Ballot
    • Not voting

Digital Economy Bill reading 3 goes through. Local MP didn't vote. However as it went through easily no point bothering sadly. Lib Dems the party to say no though.

189 Ayes 47 nos and a lot of fecking absenteism :(

Jon, I agree, I'm in business and everyday i make compromises just to survive.

I know top business leaders in the area i live in that head up blue chip companies, as one said to me, anybody thinks that these company bosses are saying no To labours NI as it will squash further investment in employment is complete and utter rubbish, we don't want to pay anymore because we simply don't want to pay anymore....that's it, business is about profit and about rewarding shareholders in the company, paying more NI will mean less for shareholders not less for job creation.

Tony: Hi Tony, is that the Tony form the old place?....anyway, the point i was making is exactly what being played out on this board right now, people are talking about percentages, a penny here saved for a penny there given.

A Cambridge economist who's name escapes me crashed some figure together and came up with the fact that, a statement by a government in saying we will cut a 1p of income tax or 6billion out of NI actually means nothing to the common man.......he said, if the government really wanted to do the right thing by the British public, reducing the cost a fuel at the pump to match that of the rest of Europe, getting rid of the Television licence fee ( which there is no justification for in the modern world) or at least give people the choice to say "No i don't want BBC so cut the link of and i don't after buy the Licence fee, re-work the prescription charges to make them fairer, etc etc, this guy worked out the average man would be thousands better of each year in his pay packet, tangibly better of, he said "so that extra would pay for a nice holiday for the family would buy a season ticket plus a few steak meals in celebration" etc etc...we would all be a lot happier people, which the British are not.

I think the point was percentages of tax means nothing, actually reducing what someone pays has his or hers yearly overheads means a lot.

Tony: A Hung Parliament in Italy doesn't work, OK point taken, BUT, the main party thing isn't working here either, most people i know don't believe we are out of recession, think the figures are loaded and corrupt, and some people think we are slipping further in. Once this Election is out the way the economic figures IMO will be horrendous!!!!!!.

All hail the TV Licence fee moaners!

Anyone who says they never use teh BBC is a liar imo, there isn't more than a few people in this country that don't benefit in some way from the BBC, the licence fee is possibly the best value for money of anything I pay in terms of taxation. Any politician that suggested scrapping it would never get my vote.

The alternative is Murdoch, the power crazed Aussie right wing shit

Expand the BBC!

Anyone who says they never use teh BBC is a liar imo, there isn't more than a few people in this country that don't benefit in some way from the BBC, the licence fee is possibly the best value for money of anything I pay in terms of taxation. Any politician that suggested scrapping it would never get my vote.

Expand the BBC!

That's your opinion, and your freedom to make that, it still doesn't excuse the fact we live in a democracy and we have the right of choice, its that simple, If i said I'm happy with ITV and Freeview and i don't want BBC or sky because they offer me nothing in terms of what i choose to watch, that's my choice, fact is the BBC is a philanthropic institute paying over bloated exec's more than anyone else in the media industry, that's what they decide on Licence fee money, this weekend i will watch the Chelsea v Villa game on ITV, when was the last time you watched a live Villa game on BBC.

The point is that your missing..........Its my choice!!!!!!not someone saying you have to have this and you have to pay for it or get fined and on none payment of a fine get a criminal conviction for none payment of a fine and then face a custodial sentence....any politician that offers me choice gets my vote.

when was the last time you watched a live Villa game on BBC.

League Cup Final

:clap: Well played sir :lol: ph*k me got right royally sha**ed on that one, like a rabbit in the head lights.

However point was choice and thats would still be my point. :D

when was the last time you watched a live Villa game on BBC.

League Cup Final

:clap: Well played sir :lol: ph*k me got right royally sha**ed on that one, like a rabbit in the head lights.

However point was choice and thats would still be my point. :D

I was going to put BOOM! at the end of it, but thought best not ;)

I go the other way, I would rather pay MORE and not have adverts. I hate adverts. I would actually pay another £5 per month in order to not have the likes of

GO COMPARE, GO COMPARE

I P*SS YOU OFF, I AM THE KNOB

FROM GO COMPARE!

or

HAVE YOU BEEN INJURED AT WORK?

or

Anti Aging cream adverts with people like Andie McDowell.

and because I watch shows like FlashForward, 24 and documentaries, the last thing I want is 5 minutes of bell cheese interupting my viewing.

Good adverts are very rare now, so it's not like I am going to see another awesome Nike advert on Tv, or funny Tango advert.

If they limit ad breaks to 3 minutes then maybe. But they seem to be getting longer and longer

Expand the BBC!

That's your opinion, and your freedom to make that, it still doesn't excuse the fact we live in a democracy and we have the right of choice, its that simple, If i said I'm happy with ITV and Freeview and i don't want BBC or sky because they offer me nothing in terms of what i choose to watch, that's my choice, fact is the BBC is a philanthropic institute paying over bloated exec's more than anyone else in the media industry, that's what they decide on Licence fee money, this weekend i will watch the Chelsea v Villa game on ITV, when was the last time you watched a live Villa game on BBC.

The point is that your missing..........Its my choice!!!!!!not someone saying you have to have this and you have to pay for it or get fined and on none payment of a fine get a criminal conviction for none payment of a fine and then face a custodial sentence....any politician that offers me choice gets my vote.

A democracy isn't what you think it is, you don't have the freedom of choice you think you do in a democracy. Incidentally, this country wouldn't know democracy if it bit it on the arse.

The BBC is however a fine and wortwhile institution that offers a fantastic deal for all cocerned. It has its faults, for sure but giving people the choice to opt out of the licence fee? nah, possibly the best thing the Conservative party ever did for the country was the BBC and the licence fee. I am against however, the idea that the licence fee should go to some of the commercial stations too. That is a stupid stupid idea

Freeview exists because of the BBC and the license fee.

It started off as an ITV run and owned thing called OnDigital, which then went up the swannee.

The licenses to broadcast on the Digital Frequencies left when OnDigital went bust were taken over by the Freeview group. Freeview is managed by DTV Services Ltd, a company owned and run by its five shareholders - BBC, BSkyB, Channel 4, ITV and Arqiva. Launched in October 2002, the Freeview service provides free-to-air digital TV channels, radio stations and interactive services through an aerial.

Had the BBC not been involved, the thing (Freeview/OnDigital) was utterly dead. The BBC is funded by the license fee. The license fee gave you and gives you the freeview platform.

Additionally, the whole switch to digital tv and radio in the uk is partially funded by money taken from the license fee but not given directly to the BBC. The BBC has to help people who have difficulties with the digital switchover.

...it still doesn't excuse the fact we live in a democracy....

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." Winston Churchill

Digital Economy Bill reading 3 goes through. Local MP didn't vote. However as it went through easily no point bothering sadly. Lib Dems the party to say no though.

Was watching it last night, made me really disillusioned with the state of politics.

After just two hours of debate where most amendments are withdrawn for lack of time, it goes to a vote for the 3rd reading to go through, and suddenly the 20 people who were actually in there debating it swells to 200 where the whips have rounded up their puppets and the vote gets passed by people that weren't even in on the debate and were probably propping up the bar just waiting to get called in to vote.

This is what's wrong with politics in this country, it doesn't matter what happens in most of the debates, as soon as the bill is put before parliament most people are just toeing the party line and voting the party way despite not having the blindest clue what it's about or the implications of it.

Near enough everyone has said the bill didn't get enough time, yet they mostly all voted for it to go through anyway. It was a complete joke.

Was watching it last night, made me really disillusioned with the state of politics.

After just two hours of debate where most amendments are withdrawn for lack of time, it goes to a vote for the 3rd reading to go through, and suddenly the 20 people who were actually in there debating it swells to 200 where the whips have rounded up their puppets and the vote gets passed by people that weren't even in on the debate and were probably propping up the bar just waiting to get called in to vote.

This is what's wrong with politics in this country, it doesn't matter what happens in most of the debates, as soon as the bill is put before parliament most people are just toeing the party line and voting the party way despite not having the blindest clue what it's about or the implications of it.

Near enough everyone has said the bill didn't get enough time, yet they mostly all voted for it to go through anyway. It was a complete joke.

that's pretty disgraceful.

Also good to see the Mail playing the immigrant card so early

It was on radio 5 live phone in this this morning on the way to work and i think the heil have just picked up on it after it was reported in other sources

some opinions were that British people were too lazy

some said that welfare payments were too high and thus the British person got more money for not working

some said that immigrant workers was helping keep wages artificially low

no idea the political leanings of the phone in members , other than the loud opinionated ones were of course all Northerners :winkold:

I think there is some truth in all of those 3 points. But just saying "immigrants are bad and cost us loads o money and jobs" isn't exactly right.

Theres many reasons for unemployment, and it's not immigrants that annoy me it's the pure apathy of some people. Plenty in Coventry city centre at the moment.

Walking past the job center, two lads who obviously just got their cash were talking about going out on the town and getting pissed. Not exactly the best way of spending £76.75 or whatever the going rate is nowadays.

Perhaps they have just reached contentment with the lifestyle they have, yes they could work and live a little better but perhaps they don't actually want to. I don't think the majority of long term unemployed are like that, but certainly quite a few give off that impression.

If you take people out of the labour market for long periods of time, of course you will have problems getting them to adapt to life IN the labour market.

I did that votematch thing yesterday and I scored realy high for BNP and UKIP, followed by the Conservatives. Labour, Lib Dem and Green were all really low.

Stupid though because I hate the BNP and UKIP are a single issue party. I'm definitely a Thatcherite though.

http://www.votematch.org.uk/

This tells you who you should vote for.

Just did that, leaving all the options in, and got

Lib Dem 70%

Green 54%

UKIP 52%

Labour 51%

Tory 41%

BNP 18%

Now I'm off for some yoghurt and knitting needles

I love these, they always show me up - 50% jackboots.

Green Party: 59%

British National Party: 51%

Liberal Democrats: 48%

Labour Party: 41%

UK Independence Party:37%

Conservative Party: 25%