90 members have voted

1. 1. Which party gets your X

• Conservative (and UUP alliance)
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Jury Team (Coallition of Independents)
    • Spoil Ballot
    • Not voting

Hung Parliaments would only work when the parties are willing to compromise otherwise nothing would get done.

Which is exactly what they should, therefore, do.

Compromise and agreement is a huge part of everyday life, and indeed working and business life too.

It is "the real world".

It would also be what the people would have elected, and parliamnet should reflect the will of the people.

If we elect a hung parliament with no overall majority, then the MP's we have elected should honour that, and work to those ends, and not say "well, i'm not working with those pricks, I want an overall majority, let's have another election".

Government by agreement, coalition and compromise can work, and if that is what the people have voted for, then so be it.

I cannot see the parties compromising on the big issues though.

I would like to see Cable, Osbourne and if Darling would still be Labour's position as a chancellor to discuss at length with advisors and come up with an agreement. Straight after the election and purely focus on economic recovery for as long as it takes.

It could take them a month of meetings to get it sorted and not even do anything else, but I think it would be a good thing.

the NHS needs to be addressed, you can always save money in a budget of over £112bn. I doubt every single penny is maximised. I believe the NHS has improved but not in line with the investment put into it. A bit like Chelsea or Man City.

I think with taxation things need to start now, but start small. little increases here and there on VAT and tobacco duty and on things that people spend on. Certainly not increasing the money we get paid before we spend it.

hit people a little harder who have money to spend in a recession, not before they spend it. Otherwise you are taking that decision away from them.

Also good to see the Mail playing the immigrant card so early

It was on radio 5 live phone in this this morning on the way to work and i think the heil have just picked up on it after it was reported in other sources

some opinions were that British people were too lazy

some said that welfare payments were too high and thus the British person got more money for not working

some said that immigrant workers was helping keep wages artificially low

no idea the political leanings of the phone in members , other than the loud opinionated ones were of course all Northerners :winkold:

At the very least they will have a couple of people in the cabinet (Cable and someone else most likely)

I don't think Cable stands a chance , although the public may think he's the nuts for his false mystic meg claims , inside of Government they aren't quite so easily hoodwinked and he isn't thought to be that highly regarded .. but saying that maybe pandering to the Public is the name of the game at present

I see the Lib Dems have stated the tories are going to put VAT up as well in an attempt to scare voters who wont read beyond the headline ... Wonder if Clegg really believes he can win it , he doesn't seem to be cosying up to either side at present ?

Interestingly i read a few reports that reckon ANY government will have to put VAT up , regardless of what they put in their manifesto ... but from a raising money POV IF VAT went to 21% and also on zero rated items it would generate 40BN a year , and would wipe out the deficit in 3 -4 years .... now I suppose one way to look at it would be that the higher earners spend more and thus indirectly pay more when it comes to VAT .. but of course it wont be seen like that by anyone

a straight increase to 21% would be extremely ghey. They would need to do it in stages at least. That is a significant increase. Perhaps 0.5% every quarter or something, but not straight away that would end up being very shit.

I think VAT is the one I would be happy to see increased. not NI though.

If Cameron actually came out backing Lib Dems VAT increase but not up to 21% I think he would be onto a winner. With me anyway.

Because whilst he can say about cutting waste (which you can of course with the size of the current governments budget) I don't think it will make up the difference of a 1% NI rise. So increasing VAT a bit this year would be welcomed, certainly to give credibility to their revenue generation plans to cut the deficit.

I don't think it will make up the difference of a 1% NI rise

regarding NI considering the amount of posts I see on VT about the tories will only look after the rich etc etc .. their proposal to stop the planned 1% rise only applies to those on an income of UNDER £35k ... so that would be the rich'ish still paying it and the poor'ish not ..

Unfortunately with politics , with the majority , I don't think anyone is ever gonna change their perceptions or their minds .. so it's all going to come down to the floating voters come may 6th .. and that's when I think the Sun will come into play .. Turn the lights out , Hague as a dead parrot etc seem to have been quite effective on voting day

It hasn't just gone up from 15% to 17.5%?

it was only 15% for 13 months, it has always been 17.5%.

they reduced it to try and stimulate growth, which did pretty much fack all.

So many things wrong with that where do I start

- It was never a perm decrease

- It has NOT always been 17.5% - In 1979, the UK had a Zero Rate, a Basic Rate of 12.5 per cent charged on "luxury" items and a reduced rate of 8 per cent charged on most other goods and services. When the Conservatives came to power that year, Chancellor Geoffrey Howe increased both of these to a single rate of 15 per cent, to partially offset the impact of large cuts to the Basic and Higher Rates of Income Tax. This was portrayed as a deliberate move aimed at shifting the burden of taxation from earnings to consumption.

VAT remained at 15 per cent until 1991, when Norman Lamont increased it to 17.5 per cent. This step was intended to provide revenue for the "Community Charge Reduction Scheme", aimed at assisting local authorities suffering from the fall-out of massive levels of defaulting on the "poll tax".

- VAT cut stimulated growth!

Also good to see the Mail playing the immigrant card so early

It was on radio 5 live phone in this this morning on the way to work and i think the heil have just picked up on it after it was reported in other sources

some opinions were that British people were too lazy

some said that welfare payments were too high and thus the British person got more money for not working

some said that immigrant workers was helping keep wages artificially low

no idea the political leanings of the phone in members , other than the loud opinionated ones were of course all Northerners :winkold:

I think there is some truth in all of those 3 points. But just saying "immigrants are bad and cost us loads o money and jobs" isn't exactly right.

Theres many reasons for unemployment, and it's not immigrants that annoy me it's the pure apathy of some people. Plenty in Coventry city centre at the moment.

Walking past the job center, two lads who obviously just got their cash were talking about going out on the town and getting pissed. Not exactly the best way of spending £76.75 or whatever the going rate is nowadays.

Perhaps they have just reached contentment with the lifestyle they have, yes they could work and live a little better but perhaps they don't actually want to. I don't think the majority of long term unemployed are like that, but certainly quite a few give off that impression.

Are you seriously suggesting adding VAT

I'm not actually suggesting anything tbh , i'm just saying various reports have stated it would raise a shitload of money ... For sure the "hairy i confuse every southerner as a cockney" type people grumble when cider goes up 10p a litre but they will still buy it , just as Drat would still purchase "Whippet lovers weekly" and i'd carry on purchasing "shandy drinkers monthly" if it went up 2p due to a vat rise

I'm suggesting anything tbh , i'm just saying various reports have stated it would raise a shitload of money ... For sure the "hairy i confuse every southerner as a cockney" type people grumble when cider goes up 10p a litre but they will still pay it , just as Drat would still purchase "Whippet lovers weekly" and i'd carry on purchasing "shandy drinkers monthly" if it went up 2p due to a vat rise

VAT on utilities is a big no no for me and food.

I wonder what would happen if electric cars were affordable and did break into the market a bit more, whether oil and fuel prices would drop?

as the demand for it would start to fall. Even though it is a finite resource.

hmmmm.

then they would just add some kind of "charging your car tax". Although if the government installed charge points across the country and charged a fee per 15 minutes to charge, they could get a bit of revenue from it.

I'm suggesting anything tbh , i'm just saying various reports have stated it would raise a shitload of money ... For sure the "hairy i confuse every southerner as a cockney" type people grumble when cider goes up 10p a litre but they will still pay it , just as Drat would still purchase "Whippet lovers weekly" and i'd carry on purchasing "shandy drinkers monthly" if it went up 2p due to a vat rise

Whippet lovers weekly is a monthly magazine - pah ill informed or drunk from Wine Gums

Shandy drinkers monthly has new feature this month I hear - "Brown beer - ugh get some nice R Whites in it"

I'm not actually suggesting anything tbh , i'm just saying various reports have stated it would raise a shitload of money ... For sure the "hairy i confuse every southerner as a cockney" type people grumble when cider goes up 10p a litre but they will still buy it , just as Drat would still purchase "Whippet lovers weekly" and i'd carry on purchasing "shandy drinkers monthly" if it went up 2p due to a vat rise

Where are people suggesting getting rid of the zero (or reduced rating)?

I have seen reports discussing increasing VAT from 17.5% but I don't think I've seen any about ditching zero rating.

EDIT: I've just come across the one recently done (as part of looking at the whole tax system) by the Mirrlees Review. It appears that they reckon it would raise about £23,000 million (though just over half of that would have to be ploughed back in to means-tested benefits and tax credit rates to not adversely affect those at the very bottom). I can't yet see what they reckon the impact on exports would be.

Government by agreement, coalition and compromise can work, and if that is what the people have voted for, then so be it.

My concern though Jon is deals will have to be brokered and that is not in the interest of the country

why not? It could be. Concessions and agreements = deals.

A hung parliament would require concessions made by those who believe they can form a coalition government, with the most likely being Lab and Liberal, who would see themselves as centre left parties.

I think this could be a groundbreaking election, in that it has the propensity to really shift the political landscape. Were Labour and the Libs to form a coalition govt, then it would not be inconceivable for a situation to arise where the parties effectively merged and became 1.

In a straight right versus left power struggle, it would surely make sense to both of them.

Politics being about individual power as it often is though, I could foresee the country being called back to the ballot box within a few months, sadly, as 1 party would seek overall power.

Where are people suggesting getting rid of the zero

t'was from some papers by the Institute for Fiscal Studies ..some of the newspapers also mention it on their pages .. but tbh it's bloody hard to work out these days if it's just some random nut jobs blog or some expert for the newspaper ... the page i read seemed to suggest the zero rating idea was coming from Stuart Rose , but it may not be

Where are people suggesting getting rid of the zero

t'was from some papers by the Institute for Fiscal Studies ..some of the newspapers also mention it on their pages .. but tbh it's bloody hard to work out these days if it's just some random nut jobs blog or some expert for the newspaper ... the page i read seemed to suggest the zero rating idea was coming from Stuart Rose , but it may not be

Yep, found it, Tony. Cheers. :thumb:

It does make interesting reading.