90 members have voted

1. 1. Which party gets your X

• Conservative (and UUP alliance)
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Jury Team (Coallition of Independents)
    • Spoil Ballot
    • Not voting

I'd seriously vote for ANYONE who promises to bring down fuel prices

Agreed. £1.20 a litre? Thats about £6 a gallon. Any other nation would be protesting in the streets and raising hell. When I went to the United States last year they were pissed off about paying less than half that.

Any other nation? The fact that most of Europe pays the same if not more sort of dispels that

I'd seriously vote for ANYONE who promises to bring down fuel prices

Agreed. £1.20 a litre? Thats about £6 a gallon. Any other nation would be protesting in the streets and raising hell. When I went to the United States last year they were pissed off about paying less than half that.

Any other nation? The fact that most of Europe pays the same if not more sort of dispels that

Diesel is generally a fair bit cheaper than petrol on European forecourts.

In the UK it's more expensive than unleaded in most places.

So either lower rates of duty on that type of fuel in Europe, or the fuel companies are joining in the game of 'let's rip the motorist off'

SO the immigrants coming to the country and are actually working then and not scrounging? Blimey you'd wish these tabloids would make their minds up. Are they working or are they scrounging?

SO the immigrants coming to the country and are actually working then and not scrounging? Blimey you'd wish these tabloids would make their minds up. Are they working or are they scrounging?
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

So either lower rates of duty on that type of fuel in Europe, or the fuel companies are joining in the game of 'let's rip the motorist off'

link

From looking at the AA report it seems that in a lot of countries its not that much cheaper

As for the Oil companies - hey they are "big business" and they know what is right don;t you know. I remember them "warning" that the minimum wage would impact jobs and would be a tax on jobs - hmmm where have I heard those phrases again recently?

Petrol's £1.26 over here. Other than the mortgage, we spend far more on petrol in our house a month than anything else. Leaving aside the party politics, it's bloody ridiculous.

Drat I see you have upset Davey C and he has got it in for you with his freeze on IT spending for government.

Completely disagree that that is the right thing to do but if you promise big big savings.............

The reason the USA has no VAT is that the right wing opposes it because it raises massive sums of money while the left wing opposes it because it's regressive.
Hang on a minute. The USA may have no national equivalent of VAT, but when I was last there (admittedly some years ago), there were local (state) purchase taxes in place - certainly in Maryland. Quite annoying, as they tended not to be included in the "ticket price" in many shops.

Same thing, n'est ce pas?

Well, it's true that petrol and diesel are treated rather the same in the UK whereas, on the continent, diesel is treated more favourably.

I believe, though, it is also due to an increased demand for diesel and as we don't have the extra refining capacity to cope with that, we need to import more (and then we're competing with the huge increase in demand for diesel across the world).

The BNP Twitter page - this is their BIO :-) - got to love that sort of education .....

Bio The British National Party exists to secure a future for the indigenous peoples of Great Britian

"Figures show the number of jobs created under Labour matches the number of migrant workers" says the Scum and the Daily Heil…the clue here is the word "matches". If the number of jobs matched the number of new red cars on the road? Would that mean all new jobs under Labour have gone to red car owners? Typical xenophobic bollocks once again.

There is an extra levy of diesel in the UK, in most European countries there isn't. Stems back to the time that someone said that diesel was more polluting than petrol and someone, who may or may not have one good eye, saw an opportunity to raise tax, then it was decided that diesel was less polluting and harmful after all and the bloke with one good eye was looking the other way

Petrol getting dearer as it runs out shocker.

I'm afraid it'll be the case until they find more sustainable technologies to replace it, hydrogen cells and the likes.

Until then, the rich arabs will keep raising their prices as the demand gets higher (competition from emerging nations such as china/brazil/india) and their supply slowly decreases.

Of course it can all change if the UK can uncover some oil in the Falklands, then the price can come down somewhat. Probably keep the daily mail happy too, wouldn't want that bloody foreign oil being the cause of our misfortunes.

The immigrant thing is a myth, they are doing jobs I wouldn't touch with a bargepoll. If it means so much to them working in the royal mail then **** it, let them have it. Bunch of mugs run those papers, immigration only becomes an issue when the primal instincts kick in and the fear of the outsider overwhelms some of the native population. Then they go pointing the finger and every johnny foreigner stirring up emotions. But that's human nature, there will always be a degree of mistrust of the outsider, it's just a pity some clearings in the woods have to take it one step further to outright hatred.

Edit: In less interesting news, it seems Mr Cameron has advocated a joint unionist canditate for a constituency here. Sounds like sweet nothing, but really he's advocating sectarian politics. Ah the old adage of "a majority is fine, as long as it's a unionist majority" seems to be ringing true once more. Silly move by Cameron but it won't affect you lot so who cares, right?

Freeview exists because of the BBC and the license fee.

It started off as an ITV run and owned thing called OnDigital, which then went up the swannee.

The licenses to broadcast on the Digital Frequencies left when OnDigital went bust were taken over by the Freeview group. Freeview is managed by DTV Services Ltd, a company owned and run by its five shareholders - BBC, BSkyB, Channel 4, ITV and Arqiva. Launched in October 2002, the Freeview service provides free-to-air digital TV channels, radio stations and interactive services through an aerial.

Had the BBC not been involved, the thing (Freeview/OnDigital) was utterly dead. The BBC is funded by the license fee. The license fee gave you and gives you the freeview platform.

Additionally, the whole switch to digital tv and radio in the uk is partially funded by money taken from the license fee but not given directly to the BBC. The BBC has to help people who have difficulties with the digital switchover.

Bickster: Your missing the point, if i don't want to buy the product then that's my choice, any network that is influenced by government and financed as a tax on people is not democracy in any form, the BBC are completely objecting to there so called money developing anything else, in fact when they where told by the government they couldn't put the licence fee up as much as they wanted the first thing they did was make people redundent, the next day they gave bonuses to there leaders way higher than anyone else in the industry, The Independent networks have been making huge losses in the recession, have been making far less cut backs than the BBC, tell me why should they get something for nothing when the rest of us have to pay.

Blandy: the freeview and other franchises where funded from public funds, that's when the Tory government under Thatcher said the BBC monopoly of the licence fee had to end and the free market economy had to influence the media allowing people choice, you make it sound like they where funded by BBC funds, what you need to clear your mind of is the fact that the money, any money in this case is public money not the sole domain of the hierarchy of the BBC, I think what needs to be stated here is the fact that David Cameron has made it clear that if he gets into power the BBC will have to justify every penny, and inthe next review under the charter of the BBC and the licence fee, if they can't explain it will be ended and the BBC will have to stand on its own 2 feet and survive or not.

Clearly we will have to disagree on this.

I definitely think the funding of the BBC, the world most powerful media network should not be funded by a Tax on people, that money is very badly needed elsewhere, the country is knackered in debt, we struggle with clean hospitals, schools falling apart, roads with holes in so big you could lose your car. yet the BBC has billions...criminal.

The chancellors had a discussion on the Beeb at lunch.

That was fun.

Once again it amounted to, effectively, 'NO YOU!'.

And the amount of backing up and evidencing of the figures they both come out with they may as well say we should mine Perry Barr as the latest energy source, naturally occuring masala, has been discovered.