Scientific Experiment V2 #9 - MON(thly) Approval Ratings

Gringo

Are you satisfied with MON as manager  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with MON as manager

• Yes - MON can take us forward
    • No - end of the road

He can still take us forward but it will take another huge amount of money

And that's why I think Randy will get rid. He isn't going to want to see his money being wasted indefinitely.

His money hasn't been wasted at all, we've paid good prices for some excellent players.

Take a look at page 48 of the Spurs accounts.

They show a cost of [player] registrations at 01/07/08 of £121m. They show an additional cost in the year to 01/07/09 of £119m. Since then they have bought in Crouch, Bassong, Kranjcar and Kaboul.

All football clubs at this level are spending enormous sums of money but Martin O'Neill has spent nothing like the amounts that our competitors have been spending.

Find another stick to beat him, this one doesn't work.

Whether he stays or goes we will see, but the excuse "there is no one better out there" just doesn't wash.

We are top 8 , Premier League club with no (or very little) debt.

We are in the best / most attractive and most watched league in the world

We have without doubt, and this is seen by fans and media alike - THE BEST owner in the league, who (seems) to give the manager what he wants and lets the manager run the club the way he wants to.

We also pay arounf 4 million quid a year to the manager !.

Are you telling me NO ONE would take the job - you are having a giraffe. Just remember the likes of Martin Jol applied for the Sunderland job when they were in the financial mire !.

You ask me to name some, I cant really, there are too many, but the likes of (and I know some of these have now got jobs this season) Lippi, Jol, Van basten, Pelligrini, Ranieri.. etc...etc....etc... Even (although now probably too old) Trapattoni.

There are dozens on dozens of potentially top quality coaches out there. Put it this way, If Hiddink will go to Saudi Arabia, Australia, South Korea , Zico will go to Russia, and ERIKSONN WILL GO TO NOTTS COUNTY !

I am bloody sure I trust Randy Lerner to attract someone !

And if you dont, then sorry, you are not saying a lot for the owner that has put the pride back into our club !

EDIT

You forget to say above how much money Spurs have brought in, fromt he likes of Chimbonda, Zakora, Hutton etc..etc..etc.. I think you will see the next outlay is very similar between the clubs.

I do not think there is anyone else who could work alongside Randy or who Randy would want.

I think a new manager will want to spend mega bucks, I don't think MON would make the same demands and is happy spending what he does. IMO we need to spend more.

I do not think there is anyone else who could work alongside Randy or who Randy would want.

I think a new manager will want to spend mega bucks, I don't think MON would make the same demands and is happy spending what he does. IMO we need to spend more.

Completely disagree, but then I'm sure we've had the discussion before somewhere...

I think Randy runs the club perfectly, it's down to the manager to make the most of what he has - which is more than most.

He has spent a fortune, and the fact is, after over 100 million net outlay, plus 4 yrs of building.

We still ended up with Moustafa Salifou on the bench last night.

Love, hate Martin ONeill - is that right ?

MON has made 4 or 5 good signings there is no doubt, Milner, Young, Dunne probably the three picks, but a football squad isn't built on 5 players.

But he has wasted a bloody fortune on players that are simply not good enough, some of these big fees like Shorey, Harewood, Heskey and the likes, but even the 1.5 million here and there (like the Routledge one) all tot up.

If what you are saying is after all that money, and 4 yrs - we still need to rebuild - then I think that says it all !.

EDIT

Oh, and by the way - even IF there was no one around, personally I have enough faith in what Gordon Cowans has done at youth level to say give him an axperienced assistant (say a venables - Hodgson would be ideal but wouldn't come as assistant) and let him have a try !.

I think we would see more than we do with MON - and I think that sums MON up !

Nobody expects 4th FFS.

What we do expect is to try something else when something clearly isn't working

I'm sure at the start of the season the aim was to compete for 4th place and do the best we can in the cups so i don't see how you can say it isn't working.

That would be the case with anyone in charge, unless we somehow manage to get the next wenger or mourinho whoever comes in will have to spend loads of money because the teams we are in competition with will spend loads of money.

I also agree with paulanddonna that all this talk of there being nobody else out there is tosh. There are numerous top managers who would jump at the chance of managing a top-8 premier league side with £20m+ to spend every season. Off the top of my head, I think Bilic could be very, very good.

Not that I want MON out, I think he deserves next season before we finally evaluate if he has what it takes.

Completely disagree, but then I'm sure we've had the discussion before somewhere...

I think Randy runs the club perfectly, it's down to the manager to make the most of what he has - which is more than most.

It is more than most but most importantly, it isn't as much as our competitiors at the top of the Premier League and he started from a much lower squad base than all of our competitors except Man City.

And that's why I think Randy will get rid. He isn't going to want to see his money being wasted indefinitely.

His money hasn't been wasted at all, we've paid good prices for some excellent players.

Paying twice of what we could have got L.Young a year before,

10 million for Davies

7.8 million for Cuellar who plays Out of position

7.m million combined for the deadly strikeforce of Heskey and Harewood.

He hasnt wasted anything

It is more than most but most importantly, it isn't as much as our competitiors at the top of the Premier League and he started from a much lower squad base than all of our competitors except Man City.

Sorry, you and he, cannot have it both ways.

As I said, MON has made some good signings, lets go through, Friedal, Dunne, Milner, Young, Carew definates. I was gonna put maybes but jury is still out on the Collins, Cuellers, Downings etc..

So lets stick with 5 definates. But as I say - the issue is, 5 good players do not make a squad.

and this is where he cant have it both ways.

He took over DEFINATE quality MELLBERG, LAURSEN, BARRY - then you have the maybes like Gabby, Bouma etc.. - but again , lets stick with the definates to keep it simple.

So, in 4 years - he has replaced 3 definate class players, with 5 definate class players - then from what I can see, replaced some potentially good players and a lot of average ones, with some potentially good players and a lot of average ones.

Is that really worth over 100m and four years - having the reputation of being a class manager ?

Remember, I was born in 1970 - in my whole lifetime, only Ron Saunders has had longer at this club than MON. And he had promoted us, won the league cup, finished 4th, had build one quality side, disassembled it, and was on his way to creating a league winning side by now.

hmmmmm

I am shocked that 4 out of 10 of us currently want a manager out who has taken us to Wembley twice already this season, who may yet become the first Villa manager to lift the FA Cup in 53 years, who has us 4 points off a Champions League place and who has moved the club forward each year he has been with us.

If he does go it will be a very sad day for our football club. As they say you never know what you have until you no longer have it.

I think we do spend as much as many of our competitors: Liverpool, Spurs, Everton, Arsenal.

I accept the point about starting off at a lower level than some of them, but that's why he has been given time and its why I think he should have another season. If, after 5 years, he doesn't look like being good enough to be a real top 4 challenger, maybe it's time to move on. Spurs have built a decent squad in recent years but weren't able to mould a fluid team together. Now Rednapp has come in and shown that he could be the man.

No-one is saying we have more right to be in the top 4 than anyone else, but if we have a manager who looks unable to do it, why not try somebody else who might, rather than simply accepting our lot for time immemorial?

Won't go into detail but this should be left until the end of the season. Football is a funny game. Intact I'd almost guarentee the yes column would be about 80 percent had we won last night. That's how thin the line is between success and failure. He's doing neither. Finishing top 6 twice in a row and the season so far isn't failing but nor have we had success apart from 07-08 season where we pushed above general expectations of the club. He doesn't deserve to go but also needs to do something. At the moment were getting average football for decent results. We are producing neither to a vrty high standard

but still not enough to get us to where most fans, and the owners, want

I think we do spend as much as many of our competitors: Liverpool, Spurs, Everton, Arsenal.

I accept the point about starting off at a lower level than some of them, but that's why he has been given time and its why I think he should have another season. If, after 5 years, he doesn't look like being good enough to be a real top 4 challenger, maybe it's time to move on. Spurs have built a decent squad in recent years but weren't able to mould a fluid team together. Now Rednapp has come in and shown that he could be the man.

No-one is saying we have more right to be in the top 4 than anyone else, but if we have a manager who looks unable to do it, why not try somebody else who might, rather than simply accepting our lot for time immemorial?

As I said earlier...

"Take a look at page 48 of the Spurs accounts.

They show a cost of [player] registrations at 01/07/08 of £121m. They show an additional cost in the year to 01/07/09 of £119m. Since then they have bought in Crouch, Bassong, Kranjcar and Kaboul."

In what way is that the same as Aston Villa's spend?

but still not enough to get us to where most fans, and the owners, want

Again, I simply don't agree.

If Arsene Wenger had been in charge, I'm pretty sure we'd be a top 4 side within 5 years. Maybe Martin will do it, we'll have to wait and see.

and as I said, look at the incoming transfers for Spurs - and you will see the net outlay has been very very similar.

If you buy a £10,000 car and it lasts 10 yrs without having any issues.

and someone buys a £2000 car, and it goes wrong, and you get £1000 trade in, and spend another £2000 , and it goes wrong and you get £1000 trade in, and you buy another one for £2000.

WHo has done the better job, person a , or person b, who has actually spent less but had no end of problems.

Jermaine Defoe and Eidhur Gudjohsonn cost between them a total of anywhere between 9.5m and 15m depending on what you believe about the Defoe transfer.

Heskey and Harewood cost 7m

Which has been the better outlay.

We have spent fortunes (and yes that is fortunes) on average players, or players that MON bought, then somehow doesn't trust

Davies 10m, NRC 6m, Harewood 3.5, Shorey 3.5 , Young 6, Beye 2.5, and on and on and on.

And then complains we have no squad.

The reason Spurs have a great squad is they have bought soundly over the last 3 seasons. Up until that point, they did exactly what MON did, spent fortunes on average players !

Now, to me, a great manager goes into a club, looks at where they are going wrong, puts it right, and up they go - hence Redknapp got to Spurs, decided their defence and forward line were weak, corrected it and look now.

MON to me put some of the things right, but spent fortunes and things that wasn't actually needed. he took over a defence of Laursen, Bouma, Mellberg, Cahill, yes injured but all on there way back to fitness. So why sell Cahill for 5m - and buy Davies for 10m and Knight for 3.5m - 8.5m wasted and we let a future England international go - why? it was not needed.

Same as why spend 6m on Young, 2.5m on Beye, and then play Cueller there.

Same as buying Delph for 6.5 million (and I like Delph) but we had Sidwell and NRC to cover there. We needed a forward !

a lot of wasted money, time and players has occured.

Its OK looking for potential but tomorrow never comes. If he had have put the money he has wasted on Delph and Beye to a top forward like Bent, we would probably be in 4th place, and then could attract players like Joe Cole (who I will guarentee will be Spurs first summer buy)

In short, realise what you need put it right - winner - MON does not do this.

and they also sold £50m worth of players.

cost of [player] registrations at 01/07/08 of £121m.

cost in the year to 01/07/09 of £119m.

Plus approx Crouch (£9m), Bassong (£8m), Kranjcar (2.5m), Kaboul (£5m) and Naughton/Walker (combined £10m). Total = £34.5m"

They're the best figures I've got. Taking into account your £50m (what was AVFC comparable amount?), it's still an awful lot more than the cost of the squad at Bodymore Heath isn't it?