Bulger Killer Returned To Jail [Poll Added]

Reality

What do you think the punishment for Venebles and Thompson should have been?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the punishment for Venebles and Thompson should have been?

• Their punishment was too severe
    • The punishment was correct
    • The punishment should have been longer
    • They should never have been let out
    • The Death Sentence

I voted for longer sentence.

I also enjoyed Jon's little inspector Smiley, that isn't relevant, I just felt it needed to be said.

I reckon even Inspector Clouseau could work that one out though. Probably wouldn't need Holmes or Watson :winkold:

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting having the poll 30 pages into the debate.

I wonder how different it would have been if it were put up on the first page.

Almost identical I would imagine, not seen much in the way of people changing their minds

Thing that hasn't been mentioned is that they were actually sentenced to longer than 8 years, they were initially sentenced to a min tarrif of ten years, which the Home Secretary wanted to increase but was overuled by the law lords (or some other body) saying that the Home Secretary didn't have the authority to change a sentence for a juvenile, then the boys appealed to the European courts when they were 18 and got the sentence reduced, it was the European courts that finally brought the sentence down to an 8 year tarrif

I voted for the longer sentence option. They knew exactly what they were doing, even at 10 years old. 20 years would have been more like it.

While I agree that they knew what they did and that it was wrong and that they should've been in for longer I still don't think that they understood the magnitude of what they were doing. How wrong it was, the consequences and why it was wrong. Not meaning they were fully unaware of all those things, but still not aware enough. Maybe. That's why I feel they should've got a longer penalty and with education and someone to learn them how wrong it was and why. Teach how to behave in a working society. They were so young that they could still unlearn what they'd learned so far and become better people and start a better life. They weren't exactly fully grown experienced murderers so there's still a chance for them to get all that. Well, apparently maybe not as one of them is back again for whatever reason we still don't know. And if it's something really bad then he clearly hasn't learned anything and can stay in jail for a lot, lot longer. Get what I mean? After all, there are big differences in understanding between a kid and a grown up person.

flitting between longer sentence and correct sentence, plumped for the latter in the end, based on the judges verdict not being an awful one and he's better placed than me. If he'd have given them a spell in adult jail for a few years once they were old enough I probably wouldn't have opposed that either tbf. With this one, as the judge didn't release them instantly nor sentence them to death, I'll go with his judgement, which is probably avoiding the question in some folks eyes, but there we go.

flitting between longer sentence and correct sentence, plumped for the latter in the end, based on the judges verdict not being an awful one and he's better placed than me. If he'd have given them a spell in adult jail for a few years once they were old enough I probably wouldn't have opposed that either tbf. With this one, as the judge didn't release them instantly nor sentence them to death, I'll go with his judgement, which is probably avoiding the question in some folks eyes, but there we go.

I think the thinking was that if they were sent into a normal prison when they were adults it would have increased their likelyhood of becoming adult criminals by mixing with other criminals and drugs etc that go with prison life. Their rehabilitation into normal adults would have been set back.

I reckon they got it about right, maybe could have been a little longer, but as Lax says, there's an argument for why they didn't.

Nice to see there are only two 'nearest tree' merchants on here. Once again the VT proves itself to be mostly populated by well-rounded human beings.

Nice to see there are only two 'nearest tree' merchants on here. Once again the VT proves itself to be mostly populated by well-rounded human beings and the welsh.
f.i.x.e.d.

Nice to see there are only two 'nearest tree' merchants on here. Once again the VT proves itself to be mostly populated by well-rounded human beings and the welsh.
f.i.x.e.d.

Tidy :winkold:

And that's a capital double-ewe by the way bach.

I reckon they got it about right, maybe could have been a little longer, but as Lax says, there's an argument for why they didn't.

Nice to see there are only two 'nearest tree' merchants on here. Once again the VT proves itself to be mostly populated by well-rounded human beings.

37 people out of a possible 34169 have voted so far...lets not count our chickens just yet :D

37 people out of a possible 34169 have voted so far...lets not count our chickens just yet :D

If you're waiting for all 34169, that's a lot of roosters to reckon up :)

Fair point though, it is early days still I guess :thumb:

The thing is punishment works in different ways for different people. Look at Thompson, the years he did have rehabilitated him and he has taken to this anonymity.

Which is a turn up for the books as, according to several accounts, Venables was the one who seemed more guilty (emotionally) about hwat they'd done and seemed to be the one more willing to be rehabilitated.

Thompson apparently showed very little remorse.

Â