The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I'm starting to think Joshua is a bit of a paper tiger.

I can see why they are so reluctant to take him abroad to the states to fight the refs over there won't be so kind.

I'm by no means a Wilder fan but I think he'd have a great chance, Joshua is so stiff up top, has no head or upper body movement, I can see a Wilder straight right landing flush.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Takam is a tough sob well done lad you didn't disgrace yourself be proud. To be honest tatami couldn't continue I think. Both eyes hD cuts above the eye, Joshua won all the rounds. Was there any point continuing for takams  heAlth? I think wilder can hurt Joshua on viewing this. But I do think wilder hasn't been in the ring with anyone nowhere close to Joshua. So it's a tough one to call.

also after tonight I'm convinced whyte would get destroyed by both. He is better going for Parker next

• Like 1

I gave Takam rounds 7 and 9, the rest were a bit of a white wash but Takam did at times land good shots and was trying. No reason to stop it at all, he was still rolling punches when the ref was in the process of stopping it. You don't just stop fights because someone has an insurmountable lead, it robs everyone involved, it robbed Takam of potentially being the first to go the distance with Joshua and robs Joshua of a proper ending. Disgraceful, British boxing is a pathetic institution indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Amazingly, my stream has just switched over to Showtime, amazing! No more Sky words removed. Al Bernstein is terrific and so is Paulie if he is doing it (haven't heard him yet). 

Could not agree with this more. So much more insightful and interesting than the usual drivel 

Very soft stoppage.

Very poor fight really.

It seemed to me Joshua was told to make the fight last to test his fitness. Whenever he would land a decent punch he'd then pull away and follow up with combinations. I also think that the extra weight he was carrying was due to taking it easier in training once Pulev pulled out.

Joshua really isn't that good, his stamina is awful, he was gassing again last night and this appears to be a genetic issue rather than conditioning, he has such an enormous frame that he will struggle to go the distance without having spells where his output goes down dramatically and he starts to push his punches more. You can't keep relying on getting a second wind. He is also stiff as board, no head movement, no upper body movement, average footwork, not a hard target to hit at all. He has a good jab but doesn't know how to use it, he'd be well advised to watch Lennox Lewis. 

I half expect Wilder to beat him, but given Wilder has had such a long lay off I want to see what kind of condition he is in. I'd say the Fury that beat Klitschko would dance rings around Joshua, but even if Fury returns I do not think he will ever be the same again. This division is still an appalling one. The likes of Wilder and Joshua would not be very good at all in the 90s. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Crap fight for a variety of reasons. Who is there really to fight AJ? There is a part of me that would be interested to see him fight David Haye, I’m sure it would be 1 sided but at least interesting.

After seeing how badly he dealt with Takam's movement last night I think a prime David Haye would beat him by KO however those days are long gone, Haye is shot. The division is very thin. Most intriguing fights are Wilder, Parker, Povetkin and Luis Ortiz. The latter too are unlikely as they are drug cheats and keep failing tests, Parker would most likely lose but I think he'd give Joshua a lot of problems. Wilder I think will win, he actually has a more effective jab than Joshua and has insane power in the right hand. I don't think Joshua has a convincing defence for a straight right at all. 

I’m in a very small minority but I think the ref was right to stop the fight, although he was perhaps a few seconds premature.

He was gone, he had no hope of winning either with a stoppage or in points, he was bleeding heavily, at least one eye was closed or closing and he was probably 4 or 5 punches away from being KO’d and potentially hurt.

It is better to step in too soon than too late. I understand the frustration of the fans in the stoppage, I felt that at the time as well but I think it was the right decision.

• Like 1

As for AJ...

The boy is still learning and learning in the ring as a champ which is a tough way to learn your trade. He has had so few professional fights compared to champions that had gone before him, both amature and professional, that was his 20th fight which is beyond belief.

Is he the finished article? Far far from it but his development and progress is remarkable, unparrelled even. I personally think he will continue to develop.

He will have learned so much last night facing a smaller opponent who was ducking even lower, it clearly wasn’t something he was used to or had really trained for as he had obviously only had 12 days prep for that opponent. 

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I’m in a very small minority but I think the ref was right to stop the fight, although he was perhaps a few seconds premature.

He was gone, he had no hope of winning either with a stoppage or in points, he was bleeding heavily, at least one eye was closed or closing and he was probably 4 or 5 punches away from being KO’d and potentially hurt.

It is better to step in too soon than too late. I understand the frustration of the fans in the stoppage, I felt that at the time as well but I think it was the right decision.

Should have just stopped the fight in the 7th or 8th round then if thats the case , he was fighting to become the world heavyweight champion, you let them fight on, them punches were not landing cleanly at the end.

Don't kid yourself that the ref stopped it so that Takam can 'fight another day' he stopped it because it would have looked bad on AJ if it went the distance.

If Wilder takes the fight in England then he is an idiot, if he gets a tiny cut or gets wobbled they will jump in and stop it whilst Adam Smith creams his pants.

Just now, leemond2008 said:

Should have just stopped the fight in the 7th or 8th round then if thats the case , he was fighting to become the world heavyweight champion, you let them fight on, them punches were not landing cleanly at the end.

Don't kid yourself that the ref stopped it so that Takam can 'fight another day' he stopped it because it would have looked bad on AJ if it went the distance.

If Wilder takes the fight in England then he is an idiot, if he gets a tiny cut or gets wobbled they will jump in and stop it whilst Adam Smith creams his pants.

Sorry but I think the idea the ref stopped the fight in the interest of AJ’s credibility is cobblers.

It doesn’t matter if the punches were landing or not, he wasn’t defending himself in the way he was in the 7th or 8th which is why he didn’t stop it then. Sooner or later they would have connected and given the state of his eyes and the increasing lack of defence the chance of him getting hurt was increasing.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Sorry but I think the idea the ref stopped the fight in the interest of AJ’s credibility is cobblers.

It doesn’t matter if the punches were landing or not, he wasn’t defending himself in the way he was in the 7th or 8th which is why he didn’t stop it then. Sooner or later they would have connected and given the state of his eyes and the increasing lack of defence the chance of him getting hurt was increasing.

he got caught with 2 punches and the rest missed because of his head movement, I don't know how you can say he wasn't defending himself.

Its easy to say let them carry on but one big punch and he could be out cold and brain dead. Its only in the last year that Groves left someone as a vegetable because the ref let it go on for too long.

Wasn't a great stoppage but not as suspicious as some are making out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

he got caught with 2 punches and the rest missed because of his head movement, I don't know how you can say he wasn't defending himself.

It doesn’t matter that punches missed and moving his head isn’t defending himself.

Â