The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

David Price had Povetkin in trouble a couple of times before nearly getting his head taken off.

If Price has you in trouble you should probably be thinking about a different career path/retirement but it's easy enough money i guess and there's always a chance of a punch connecting at heavyweight. Presumably Hearn/Joshua have instant rematch guarantee clauses in everything just in case something goes wrong so anyone who does eventually catch Joshua on a bad day will be assured of 2 rather large paydays

19 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Povetkin has been a good boxer, but he's very old now, off the PEDs and is frankly too small, he will get stopped. Would be delighted if he wins though, but he won't.

Your not a Joshua fan then? Can I ask why?

19 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Povetkin looks made for AJ unless he can sit on his chest the entire fight i seriously doubt he will trouble him.

AJ will just pick him apart with the jab and i don't see Povetkin having the agility to close the distance well enough.

I hope he knocks the drug cheat spark out.

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Your not a Joshua fan then? Can I ask why?

West pretty much nailed it. I don't like nationalism in boxing and Joshua has the biggest moronic fan base I've ever seen. I also constantly cringe at the Eddie Hearn/ Sky hype around him, I hate it. Joshua himself is a bit of a fake, his media persona is a totally manufactured and that's not who he really is as evidenced by (a) his drug dealing past and (b) his comments to Eddie Chambers. That said, his personality issue isn't a massive issue for me, I don't really care, but always worth pointing out to those who think he's this great guy.

24 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

West pretty much nailed it. I don't like nationalism in boxing and Joshua has the biggest moronic fan base I've ever seen. I also constantly cringe at the Eddie Hearn/ Sky hype around him, I hate it. Joshua himself is a bit of a fake, his media persona is a totally manufactured and that's not who he really is as evidenced by (a) his drug dealing past and (b) his comments to Eddie Chambers. That said, his personality issue isn't a massive issue for me, I don't really care, but always worth pointing out to those who think he's this great guy.

I've met Joshua as he is a close friend of one of my brothers mates as they trained at fincherly boxing club together. I have to say when I've met him he doesn't deny his past and was pleasant, non arrogant and very down to earth. Didn't seem like he was above anyone just a normal person.

Hearn I agree is abit of an arse but the guy knows how to.promote fights and make money.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think it'd be one drug cheat sparking out another tbh. 

I appreciate this is your opinion but I think AJ would be absolutely crazy to be touching illegal substances when he has the world of boxing at his mercy. I'm not too clued up on drug tests or regulations but you'd think if there is even a slim chance he'd be busted, he wouldn't go near them things. Just too much to lose - boxing career wise and beyond. 

Edited by West

1 hour ago, West said:

I think AJ would be absolutely crazy to be touching illegal substances when he has the world of boxing at his mercy.

"Mexican supplements" might be the very reason he has the world of boxing at his mercy. It's not like it's unheard of.

Coming off drugs wrecks havoc on your system. This is Vitor Belfort at 185 pounds. Pre and post USADA. Once you are on the shit, it's very difficult to keep your system going if you stop.

image.png.24ec235d399129f4f6da21df9de22ca9.png

That said, I have NO reason to suspect Joshua of any wrongdoing. Just putting the dots in where he would be stupid to touch the stuff now that he's a superstar.

Edited by Tegis

Joshua always has that HGH gut look but could just be his anterior pelvic tilt stance due to his size i guess. Don't really care about this weekends fight & not really arsed about Joshua one way or the other but would quite like to see Dillian Whyte knock him out if their rematch happens next year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, West said:

I appreciate this is your opinion but I think AJ would be absolutely crazy to be touching illegal substances when he has the world of boxing at his mercy. I'm not too clued up on drug tests or regulations but you'd think if there is even a slim chance he'd be busted, he wouldn't go near them things. Just too much to lose - boxing career wise and beyond. 

Many of boxing's stars have juiced and been caught in the past. Joshua is his own industry at this stage, enormous resources at his disposal relative to doping agencies, I fully believe he's juicing and is just ahead of the game, taking substances that won't at this stage show up on a test. He just doesn't pass the eyeball test for me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think it'd be one drug cheat sparking out another tbh. 

My mantra is and always will be. A man is innocent until proven guilty. I've no time for accusations, unless they can be validated. I also have it on good authority that Josuha as put himself forward for testing on many occasions. I think he conducts himself in a very exemplary manner for someone so relatively young.

As for his past misdemeanors, let's be honest, in comparison to other prominent heavyweights with chequered past's, he's an angel. You don't win an Olympic, gold medal without having some talent. I think he beats Wilder, easy. I think a focused Fury would give him a fight, but that's just my opinion, and nothing divides opinion like boxing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Many of boxing's stars have juiced and been caught in the past. Joshua is his own industry at this stage, enormous resources at his disposal relative to doping agencies, I fully believe he's juicing and is just ahead of the game, taking substances that won't at this stage show up on a test. He just doesn't pass the eyeball test for me.

Like.others have said he would ahve been caught by now and for me he has too much to lose by doing this.

He doesn't have to do it anyway he is a excellent boxer 

48 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Like.others have said he would ahve been caught by now and for me he has too much to lose by doing this.

He doesn't have to do it anyway he is a excellent boxer 

I think that's a fairly naive view of how things work. Doping agencies can't test for everything, some substances are still off the radar until they develop the tests. Then there's ways of doping so that you cycle on and off at the right times, something that can be done if you have the resources. His physical is massive red flag.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think that's a fairly naive view of how things work. Doping agencies can't test for everything, some substances are still off the radar until they develop the tests. Then there's ways of doping so that you cycle on and off at the right times, something that can be done if you have the resources. His physical is massive red flag.

This.

I like Joshua and I really want him to be clean but every time I see him I find it increasingly hard to believe.

Being that muscular and especially that lean naturally is pretty much an occupation by itself (aka bodybuilding). When you take into account that boxing training is his primary focus it begins to look increasingly dodgy.

Look at his arms, for instance. Those biceps require a lot of training. There are juiced bodybuilders whose sole focus is to get as big and as lean as possible who don’t look as good as him.

He wouldn’t be on the sort of shit the average swollen, red-faced gym meathead takes but I think it’s likely that there must be something

In some ways, good on him. He’s just playing the game that many more sportspeople than we realise are playing. And he’s doing it better than them.

Of all the sports, combat sports being clean seems so much more important to me, what with lives being on the line.

What I find really odd is a massively coked up Fury doing "have I got any powder round my nose" interviews with himself everyday on youtube where he calls AJ a drug cheat etc. He is so obviously still high as a kite yet is walking around telling everyone it's behind him and being allowed to box.

PEDs or no PEDs the drug testers aren't even seeing that and it's all over youtube and rather obvious. Given that, do people really think it would be that far fetched to find out WADA or whoever aren't really fit for purpose?

• Like 1

Â