The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

9 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I had it much wider for Groves and I think this is the bout which exposes Eubank as a famous surname with a six-pack. I'm still not sure what he was playing at, he's not got the power to overwhelm Groves physically and surely he'd have known that going in, right? Wild punches coming in from miles away are easy to see coming and all Groves had to do was step back and counter. He could have had two knock-downs if the ref had been on the ball and he coasted though the last few rounds (other than the 12th) but even with that I don't see the 115-113 card. 

I'd say Groves is a 'good' world level fighter rather than a great one and be didn't really have to do much to win. Lord knows what would happen to Eubank jr  if he were in with someone like GGG or Canelo. 

The Eubank name means he's still a draw so I'm sure he'll still be around but what does he do next? He might be too small to hang at the top of the rankings at 168 and the talent back down at 160 will annihilate him. Maybe beat a few gatekeepers somewhere before falling short again next time he's in with someone who knows how to box. 

Yes, a few things stick out, there was at least one knockdown possibly two for Groves, they were more balance knockdowns but still at the end of a Groves punch so he was wrongly done by there. Also yes he's not a big super middleweight at all and I can't believe he had the gall to call out Caleb Truax after losing a fight, firstly Truax would probably beat him and secondly you don't get a world title shot for losing. 

I also agree that he if went down to middleweight he'd struggle, on top of the names you listed I'd absolutely expect Demetrius Andrade and Charlo to smoke him, also add Danny Jacobs to that list. 

Eubank just can't box, awful footwork and no boxing IQ, terrible fighter.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Haha 1

Last night was the first time I've ever paid for a PPV boxing match. It was primarily to see if this hype around Eubank Jr (mainly from his old man who i can't stand) is justified. 

Now I'm not a huge fan of boxing so this is a armchairs fans viewpoint, but that was embarrassing. It reminded me of regimental boxing tournament when i was in the army. There was this sergeant who was a big unit of a man, he got to the final after knocking out every bloke in each round. I don't think any fight went past 2 rounds, the bloke was a monster. 

In the final he met a new recruit. This kid was 19, he was a strip of piss but had boxed at junior level. 

30 seconds into the first round the sergeants nose was bust, round 2 it was over. 

A boxer will always beat a brawler. 

Eubank isn't usually like that though, Dunno if he just freezes in the big fights & complete abandons his game plan or something but against BJS & now Groves he just seemed to think he would get a chance of a KO at some point and was just waiting for the one shot. I'm sure the cut (Which was from a clash of heads not a punch) played some part in maybe making him stand off a little more than he was otherwise intending but it was just a poor night all round.

I doubt Groves will be fit for the final after dislocating his shoulder do maybe Eubank will get a reprive against the winner of Smith/Braehmer and set up a rematch against Groves by winning that

Edited by LakotaDakota

30 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Eubank isn't usually like that though, Dunno if he just freezes in the big fights & complete abandons his game plan or something but against BJS & now Groves he just seemed to think he would get a chance of a KO at some point and was just waiting for the one shot. I'm sure the cut (Which was from a clash of heads not a punch) played some part in maybe making him stand off a little more than he was otherwise intending but it was just a poor night all round.

I doubt Groves will be fit for the final after dislocating his shoulder do maybe Eubank will get a reprive against the winner of Smith/Braehmer and set up a rematch against Groves by winning that

Eubank Jr can't compete with real super middleweights. Groves was too big for him, there was over 1 stone difference on the night. In regards to BJS, I think BJS is under rated. He is a pretty slick technician in the ring, something Eubank Jr underestimated last time round.

27 minutes ago, KHV said:

Eubank Jr can't compete with real super middleweights. Groves was too big for him, there was over 1 stone difference on the night. In regards to BJS, I think BJS is under rated. He is a pretty slick technician in the ring, something Eubank Jr underestimated last time round.

I know Abraham is getting on a bit but 7 months ago Eubank won just about every round against him. He didn't have the power to KO him (considering he has been stopped once in 52 fights there is no shame in that) but he absolutely battered him for 12 rounds

Would you say Martin Murray is better than Eubank?  Sure he's tough but he was 110-118 on every card against Groves and couldn't beat Abraham.

Eubank has had 2 off nights in his career, He barely threw a punch for the first 6 rounds against BJS and still only lost by 1 round on a split decision. From the first couple of rounds on Saturday it looked like he was going to try the same, Obviously realising he was in against someone good that could hurt him he kept his distance for a couple of rounds before getting a large cut in the third from a clash of heads. After this he was pretty poor but it was obvious the blood was getting in his eyes from the constant rubbing/dabbing and every time he tried to get close Groves just jabbed him in the eye so he resorted to wild lunges. It wasn't pretty but it may have been a bit of a different fight had it not been for the cut. Middleweight or super-middleweight that is not how Eubank usually fights.

I don't like him, his dad but feel that he is better than his performance on Saturday night.

41 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I know Abraham is getting on a bit but 7 months ago Eubank won just about every round against him. He didn't have the power to KO him (considering he has been stopped once in 52 fights there is no shame in that) but he absolutely battered him for 12 rounds

Would you say Martin Murray is better than Eubank?  Sure he's tough but he was 110-118 on every card against Groves and couldn't beat Abraham.

Eubank has had 2 off nights in his career, He barely threw a punch for the first 6 rounds against BJS and still only lost by 1 round on a split decision. From the first couple of rounds on Saturday it looked like he was going to try the same, Obviously realising he was in against someone good that could hurt him he kept his distance for a couple of rounds before getting a large cut in the third from a clash of heads. After this he was pretty poor but it was obvious the blood was getting in his eyes from the constant rubbing/dabbing and every time he tried to get close Groves just jabbed him in the eye so he resorted to wild lunges. It wasn't pretty but it may have been a bit of a different fight had it not been for the cut. Middleweight or super-middleweight that is not how Eubank usually fights.

I don't like him, his dad but feel that he is better than his performance on Saturday night.

Abraham stood in front of Eubank Jr all night with his guard up barely throwing a punch which made Eubank Jr look good IMO. BJS and Groves knew how to stop Eubank JR doing what he likes to do. He tends to run out of ideas fairly quickly. Groves made him look very ordinary indeed.

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Eubank doesn't beat either of them.

Abraham at this stage is totally shot to pieces, I don't read anything into that win, I also do not think Abraham was ever a particularly good super middleweight, he was better at middleweight and isn't big at the weight at all.

No coincidence to me that Eubank looks like shit against guys who can box, move and jab authoritatively. He has been well and truly exposed. He has no dimensions to his game, absolutely no boxing IQ at all. He's European level.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I was hugely disappointed with the performance of Eubank, I expected him to rise to the occasion, because you don't get that many chances in boxing, its a very unforgiving sport.

On the two occasions he's been found out, it's been against boxers who know how to move around a boxing ring, and that is Jr's biggest problem. In that game you can have all the talent in the world, but without the ring IQ to implement that talent you're always going to be found out at a certain level . 

Tbh, people who were saying it was a good fight, I thought it was really messy, and I didn't see a good punch connect all night, from either fighter.

Edited by sheepyvillian

14 hours ago, KHV said:

BJS is a good techical boxer with great footwork but not a hard hitter. would love to see golovkin against BJS (that is if he beats canelo as i expect him to) 

Golovkin is on the decline but i still think he will beat BJS

8 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Braehmer has pulled out with a virus, Smith is fighting Nieky Holzken instead now. He is a kickboxer but is 13-0 against nobodies on undercards over the past 6 years when he has boxed.

I didn't know Holzken was doing boxing. He's an absolute beast at Kickboxing.

33 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Braehmer has pulled out with a virus, Smith is fighting Nieky Holzken instead now. He is a kickboxer but is 13-0 against nobodies on undercards over the past 6 years when he has boxed.

Terrible shame because Braehmer is a very capable boxer, even at his advanced age. 

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Terrible shame because Braehmer is a very capable boxer, even at his advanced age. 

He looks tiny compared to Smith though which may have been an issue. I was watching the preview yesterday and it looked a bit rediculous. I know Smith was clothed as the time but he looked like a giant. (22.25 in the video)

Â