The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Can't wait to hear the excuse. Hope it's not the old chestnut, blood pressure.

Contaminated meat apparently but as above its impossible to prove (almost) 

But Canelo seems to be taking the steps to get out of this by moving his camp out of Mexico and Golden Boy informed the autorities of this straight away. So we will never know. It wont make a  difference as Triple GGG wins rematch 

• Like 1

As much as I'm looking forward to the Triple G /Canelo rematch, there is no way Canelo should be allowed to box. You only have to look at his bulk, maybe it's a case of any means necessary. I believe Abel Sanchez is right in asking for clarification in regards to the test. Under no terms should this be allowed to be swept under the table, it's becoming all too prevalent in boxing.

Kell Brook sends warnings to Errol Spence Jr, claiming 'he can't hurt me' at 154lbs

By James Dielhenn

Last Updated: 08/03/18 6:12pm

Brook: I would destroy Errol Spence Jr

Kell Brook is confident he will 'destroy' Errol Spence Jr if the pair meet in a rematch at super-welterweight.

Kell Brook is confident he will 'destroy' Errol Spence Jr

Kell Brook has warned Errol Spence Jr that he would gain "revenge" for last year's defeat if they fought again in a new weight division.

Brook lost his IBF welterweight title to Spence Jr last May after suffering an eye injury but rebounded with a knockout win at 154lbs, the division above, over Sergey Rabchenko last weekend.

"Errol Spence, after I won on Saturday, got straight on Twitter and he was mentioning me. He should be in his own train lane," Brook exclusively told Sky Sports.

Kell Brook put his last two defeats behind him with a stunning second round knockout against Sergey Rabchenko.

Brook's stunning knockout against Rabchenko.

"But he's jumped across, because he knew I was handling him, I was beating him. The tank was not very good, the eye wasn't very good, but now I'm Terminator, he can't hurt me, and I've got a serious engine. I've got plenty in the tank now."

The unbeaten Spence Jr, since winning Brook's world title, has defended it against Lamont Peterson and is due to fight Carlos Ocampo in June but his tweet showed a willingness to also move up a weight division.

"He can leave his world title, without losing it, and come up to 154lbs or a catchweight," Brook told Sky Sports News. "I will beat Errol Spence Jr. At this new weight, I will destroy him.

At this new weight, I will destroy [Spence Jr].

Kell Brook

"He should be looking forward but he's looking behind because he's not happy with how he got the world title. I was beating him, then I couldn't see. The new weight is a big difference.

"In the summertime, I will fight him at Bramall Lane. Let's do it again. It will be revenge, it won't be a repeat."

Also on Brook's radar is long-time rival Amir Khan, who is due to box Phil Lo Greco in April, live on Sky Sports.

"I will be ringside and something could happen there," Brook said. "I passed the acid test in my fight, now he's got his fight.

"There's nothing stopping our fight from happening. The ball is in his court.

Khan is due to face Lo Greco in April

"He hasn't boxed for two years, he isn't a spring chicken. He's struggling to do the weight. He might do 154lbs like me. We can talk about a catchweight."

Brook insisted his eventual goal is to become a world super-welterweight champion by taking one of the belts currently held by Erislandy Lara, Jarrett Hurd, Jermell Charlo and Sadam Ali.

"I want to become a two-time world champion. The mojo is back - I'm loving the gym, I'm loving the game again. I've put all the world champions on notice."

Click

What do you think @Dr_Pangloss Brook vs Spence at 154 who wins? Have to admit Spence is a very impressive boxer better than what i expected. 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Click

What do you think @Dr_Pangloss Brook vs Spence at 154 who wins? Have to admit Spence is a very impressive boxer better than what i expected. 

Spence wins, he's just better than Brook. Both are big welterweights so at 154lbs so I'd say the advantages Brook may gain by moving up will be cancelled out by Spence being heavier/ stronger at the same weight. I think Spence can take Brook's punch, Brook can't really take Spence's power, hence Spence ground Brook down with body shots and then stopped him with head shots. Spence has the advantage of having stopped Brook in the first fight so he will be even more confident.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Spence wins, he's just better than Brook. Both are big welterweights so at 154lbs so I'd say the advantages Brook may gain by moving up will be cancelled out by Spence being heavier/ stronger at the same weight. I think Spence can take Brook's punch, Brook can't really take Spence's power, hence Spence ground Brook down with body shots and then stopped him with head shots. Spence has the advantage of having stopped Brook in the first fight so he will be even more confident.

Exactly, frankly its embarrassing that Brook is running his mouth like that with nothing to back it up.

Edited by AVFCDAN

4 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Exactly, frankly its embarrassing that Brook is running his mouth like that with nothing to back it up.

Whilst I do think Brook is an excellent boxer, I do agree with this, a lot of people make excuses for the first fight, such as Brook gassing and that he eye socket broke, but I genuinely believe Brook gassed due to Spence's consistent body attack, rather than Brook struggling with the weight, and of course the eye socket fracture was caused by Spence's punches, so that's really no point at all. I had Spence winning at the time of the stoppage as well. I expect Spence to emerge as P4P number 1, he will destroy Thurman and I think would beat Crawford as well. I also think he'd beat everyone currently at the top of the 154lb division. It's possible he could make a run at middleweight as well, I honest think he'd beat someone like Canelo.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I am not sure though I think Brook is better at this weight. he just did not look comfortable dropping down at that weight and he  did cause some problems to spence 

its a hard one for me to call 

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Whilst I do think Brook is an excellent boxer, I do agree with this, a lot of people make excuses for the first fight, such as Brook gassing and that he eye socket broke, but I genuinely believe Brook gassed due to Spence's consistent body attack, rather than Brook struggling with the weight, and of course the eye socket fracture was caused by Spence's punches, so that's really no point at all. I had Spence winning at the time of the stoppage as well. I expect Spence to emerge as P4P number 1, he will destroy Thurman and I think would beat Crawford as well. I also think he'd beat everyone currently at the top of the 154lb division. It's possible he could make a run at middleweight as well, I honest think he'd beat someone like Canelo.

very good points but i do think brook was mentally not in right frame either, he had that injury against triple G in the back of his mind. That Triple G fight was  massive mistake for him 

Totally unacceptable at this level to not make weight, ridiculous from him and his team, I expect him to lose anyway tbh.

Should be said 3lbs is massively overweight, I would not be surprised at all if Quigg has been using PEDs. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Scott Quigg handed a boxing lesson by Valdes, he made Quigg look very cumbersome, who seemed to be , at times, blindly swinging hooks, when getting up close. He landed one in the fifth, but failed to capitalize as the movement of Valdez was just too good. Tbh, I can't see Quigg winning a World title again.

Quigg isn't world level IMO, his size advantage has got him as far as he has got, he's one of those who on fight night is 2-3 divisions heavier in weight, last night he was weighing in at 142lbs on fight night. He was outclassed, out boxed and out thought. 

Just finished Garcia vs Lipinets. Firstly Garcia is a really excellent boxer, his accuracy and timing is tremendous. He was fighting someone with faster hands but demonstrated how timing can beat speed. His power is also very good and has carried up weight divisions. That said I had this fight a lot closer than the judges. Lipinets is very good, to say the least, he has fast hands, a very good good and good counters. He tattooed Garcia with the jab consistently and landed some massive shots of his own, Garcia's defence struggled with Lipinets' speed. Garcia did show a good chin, Lipinets never hurt him, whereas Garcia was able to drop Lipinets and visible shake/ move him with some of his shots. I scored the fight 114-113 to Garcia, with the knockdown being the difference between a Garcia win and a draw.

I've never been a big fan of Quigg but he really took the fight to Valdes, both came out of it bloody and battered (Valdes lost a few teeth in the process)

Quigg was outclassed and was nowhere near winning in the end but he didn't disgrace himself if you ask me, the weight thing is a joke and it happens far too often these days.

Like Dr P said he isn't world level, I usually put the kettle on and just half watch his fights, I've never been able to really get myself interested in watching him.

48 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just finished Garcia vs Lipinets. Firstly Garcia is a really excellent boxer, his accuracy and timing is tremendous. He was fighting someone with faster hands but demonstrated how timing can beat speed. His power is also very good and has carried up weight divisions. That said I had this fight a lot closer than the judges. Lipinets is very good, to say the least, he has fast hands, a very good good and good counters. He tattooed Garcia with the jab consistently and landed some massive shots of his own, Garcia's defence struggled with Lipinets' speed. Garcia did show a good chin, Lipinets never hurt him, whereas Garcia was able to drop Lipinets and visible shake/ move him with some of his shots. I scored the fight 114-113 to Garcia, with the knockdown being the difference between a Garcia win and a draw.

Are we going to see garcia vs Linares next?

16 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I dunno, don't really care for that fight, Garcia would knock him spark out inside 10 rounds, Linares is not in his class and has a shit chin as well.

Garcia vs Loma?

Id agree. I fancy Garcia in that one

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Garcia vs Loma?

Id agree. I fancy Garcia in that one

Might be a bridge too far for Loma given the size difference although I think he could possibly beat Garcia, but again, Garcia is two weight divisions above him right now. Loma is supposed to be moving up to lightweight to fight Linares, if that happens I expect Loma to win by stoppage. I think other good fights for him are Berchelt and Gevonta Davis, all very winnable.

6 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I've never been a big fan of Quigg but he really took the fight to Valdes, both came out of it bloody and battered (Valdes lost a few teeth in the process)

Quigg was outclassed and was nowhere near winning in the end but he didn't disgrace himself if you ask me, the weight thing is a joke and it happens far too often these days.

Like Dr P said he isn't world level, I usually put the kettle on and just half watch his fights, I've never been able to really get myself interested in watching him.

He does come across as a bit strange, he's apparently ocd when it comes to boxing, which makes it all the more odd that he failed to make weight. He was made to look really slow last night.

I didn't realize how much went into cutting weight before a fight until I watched this.

I mean this dude is trying to cut 40lbs which is crazy but I still can't imagine Canelo being in this sort of state when he is boiling down to Canelo weight.

• Like 1

Â