The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

5 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Okay, time to stick my neck on the line. I honestly do not think Usyk has been properly tested as a heavyweight.

Derek ‘war’ Chisora gave him all sorts of problems, but run out of gas from round five but was still comparatively close on two of three cards

My thoughts regarding Chisora’s ability are well documented. 

Then we have the two fights against Joshua, who let’s be honest, has not been the same since he lost to Ruiz.

Basically he tried to out box a boxer which failed miserably against a skilled technician like Usyk, mainly because he was scared to get hit on the chin.

In my opinion, Joshua pre Ruiz would have gone through Usyk and knocked him out. If you recall in the second fight he had him wobbling in the late middle rounds but lacked the conviction to get all over Usyk and finish the job. 

Daniel Dubois is a big fit, strong, heavy-handed young man. He needs to follow the Chisora plan and get all over the champion early doors make it a bit dirty even. Make the fight on the inside not giving the champion space to show his undoubted ring craft. Admittedly the the ref will have a lot to do with this tactic 

If he can do that and continue to do it he has a real chance because his fitness should allow him to continue where Chisora run out of gas. ACL permitting 

I am not suggesting for one minute that this will happen and to go to Poland with 45,000 screaming Ukrainians and coming away with the belts would be akin to what the Ragamuffin Man did against Curry all those years ago.

Is it likely? No but possible,  yes for all the reasons above

We will hopefully find out a lot more about the credentials of Usyk as a fully fledged heavyweight either way.

Any fighter who blames his trainer when things go wrong is not prepared to own the shortcomings that led to whatever went wrong. Joshua said Robert didn't teach him defence. A trainer who has brought so much talent through the GB amateur set -  up isn't going to be that successful without being able to teach the art of defence in boxing. He also blamed Garcia for his second loss to Usyk, who claimed in response, that he requested to go back to the States because the fight camp was like a circus. 

And then Joshua has the temerity to say he's carrying the heavyweight division alone. Yeh, ok!

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Thanks for the insights :D How is it sitting at the back of a stadium, if you have done so?

yes I was at Benn  Eubank 2 at Old Trafford right at the back. It was crap but the atmosphere was incredible.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Any fighter who blames his trainer when things go wrong is not prepared to own the shortcomings that led to whatever went wrong. Joshua said Robert didn't teach him defence. A trainer who has brought so much talent through the GB amateur set -  up isn't going to be that successful without being able to teach the art of defence in boxing. He also blamed Garcia for his second loss to Usyk, who claimed in response, that he requested to go back to the States because the fight camp was like a circus. 

And then Joshua has the temerity to say he's carrying the heavyweight division alone. Yeh, ok!

Typical blues, no defence

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Was almost going to.go tonight, just leaving Wroclaw now. I imagine it's a bit crap as a spectacle sat at the back of a stadium though in the cheap seats.

Anyone been to a fight?

Three of my work colleagues there tonight. 

• Like 1

That hamed fight has to be the most **** ridiculous thing ive seen 😂

The otheR guy looked about 13 years old. He went in corner kneeled down and just let himself get hit. Then he wasnt even veing hut and they throw towel in.

Embarrassment to boxing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Starting now

This has been a awful show so far

Hope this main events decent at least

Only watched the previous 2 bouts and mismatch would be a massive understatement!

Â