The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What happened to those booming body - shots that were so effective for him against other opponents? It's like after the third round he suddenly realised that this was an opponent that was not going too give an inch in the psychological department. I remember Lopez going back to the corner after either the first or second round and saying, "I've got him," and boy, was he right.

I think as I've said above, he's just become too predictable and the Catterall fight has taken more out of him than we probably realised it would.

He continually flicks the jab just to set up the left hand instead of putting weight into it, once Lopez clocked that it was over. He just pivoted and countered whatever Taylor threw without worrying about the left hand. It became a frustrating fight to watch in the end with Taylor running out of ideas early. Watching Taylor do the same thing over and over again without switching his attacks showed me he's very lopsided in his balance. Unlike say, Crawford who can switch hit really well, similar to how Pacman could fight out of the southpaw stance.

I think the major surprise was his Taylors of impact on Lopez who bullied him if we're being honest. I didn't really expect that considering the size of Taylor in comparison.  

Just now, avfc1982am said:

I think as I've said above, he's just become too predictable and the Catterall fight has taken more out of him than we probably realised it would.

He continually flicks the jab just to set up the left hand instead of putting weight into it, once Lopez clocked that it was over. He just pivoted and countered whatever Taylor threw without worrying about the left hand. It became a frustrating fight to watch in the end with Taylor running out of ideas early. Watching Taylor do the same thing over and over again without switching his attacks showed me he's very lopsided in his balance. Unlike say, Crawford who can switch hit really well, similar to how Pacman could fight out of the southpaw stance.

I think the major surprise was his Taylors of impact on Lopez who bullied him if we're being honest. I didn't really expect that considering the size of Taylor in comparison.  

That's the impression I got, he was bullied.

• Like 1

You know I’ve been thinking today about the Taylor result. I didn’t watch the fight but I was happy to read this morning that he lost. But as the day has gone on, I feel a bit bad for having that view, and he’s why. 

Im the very definition of an armchair supporter when it comes to boxing. I’m not knowledgeable enough like many on here to understand the intricacies of a fight, I don’t watch interviews or invest anytime learning about the personalities of fighters. 

From time to time certain fights interest me so I’ll watch it. One such fight was Taylor V Catral (sp?) and not even being a big boxing fan it was flipping obvious to me that Taylor lost. So there I was this morning, knowing nothing about the kid and happy to read that he’d lost. 

I’m upset about what that says about me rather than Taylor. 

Edited by av1

On 11/06/2023 at 15:32, av1 said:

You know I’ve been thinking today about the Taylor result. I didn’t watch the fight but I was happy to read this morning that he lost. But as the day has gone on, I feel a bit bad for having that view, and he’s why. 

Im the very definition of an armchair supporter when it comes to boxing. I’m not knowledgeable enough like many on here to understand the intricacies of a fight, I don’t watch interviews or invest anytime learning about the personalities of fighters. 

From time to time certain fights interest me so I’ll watch it. One such fight was Taylor V Catral (sp?) and not even being a big boxing fan it was flipping obvious to me that Taylor lost. So there I was this morning, knowing nothing about the kid and happy to read that he’d lost. 

I’m upset about what that says about me rather than Taylor. 

The fact you can acknowledge that speaks for itself. 

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

The fact you can acknowledge that speaks for itself. 

He is great value, 'Chris, you can not say that as it is an allegation' 🤣

• Like 1

I had to turn it off, too much dead air. Also, the first thing he said once he sat down was how his life is amazing due to his honesty no matter the subject and then the very next thing he does is dodge the question with a massive silence and an attempt at pleading the 5th. 

Edited by TreeVillan

4 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I had to turn it off, too much dead air. Also, the first thing he said once he sat down was how his life is amazing due to his honesty no matter the subject and then the very next thing he does is dodge the question with a massive silence and an attempt at pleading the 5th. 

You can't please, and all the rest that goes with that.

18 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

He is great value, 'Chris, you can not say that as it is an allegation' 🤣

Even when he first came on the scene and everybody, I won't say hating more misunderstanding him, I got him from day one. He wasn't the most skilful, and he acknowledged that, but he compensated with sheer hard work and determination made even more special with a personality that lit up the British boxing scene.

That fight with Benn will never be bettered in British boxing. That was sheer brutality and proved without fear of contradiction that Eubank Snr was as tough as they come with a chin of granite. As tragic as the second fight with Watson was, that uppercut as to be one of the most  ferocious punches ever thrown in a boxing ring, especially when you think about the moment it was thrown. I still don't know how Eubank Snr managed to get up and have the energy to throw that punch. Without that punch he would have lost by a wide margin. Sadly, he was never the same fighter after that fight, hence the reluctance to pounce on Collins when he put him down. 

I honestly believe without Snr, Naseem wouldn't have been the personality he was. There's an old clip of a young Nas watching a Eubank fight and you can see he's in complete awe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Even when he first came on the scene and everybody, I won't say hating more misunderstanding him, I got him from day one. He wasn't the most skilful, and he acknowledged that, but he compensated with sheer hard work and determination made even more special with a personality that lit up the British boxing scene.

That fight with Benn will never be bettered in British boxing. That was sheer brutality and proved without fear of contradiction that Eubank Snr was as tough as they come with a chin of granite. As tragic as the second fight with Watson was, that uppercut as to be one of the most  ferocious punches ever thrown in a boxing ring, especially when you think about the moment it was thrown. I still don't know how Eubank Snr managed to get up and have the energy to throw that punch. Without that punch he would have lost by a wide margin. Sadly, he was never the same fighter after that fight, hence the reluctance to pounce on Collins when he put him down. 

I honestly believe without Snr, Naseem wouldn't have been the personality he was. There's an old clip of a young Nas watching a Eubank fight and you can see he's in complete awe.

I actually went to Eubank Benn 2 at Old Trafford and have no recollection of the evening apart from the odd dream like flashback 

• Like 1

I listened to the last 25mins when he started waffling on about The Queen putting him on some Bus. 

I can't make up my mind if he's a borderline genius or a complete loon. 

The sound of Jordan and Whyte trying to constantly reel him in was funny to be fair. 

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I listened to the last 25mins when he started waffling on about The Queen putting him on some Bus. 

I can't make up my mind if he's a borderline genius or a complete loon. 

The sound of Jordan and Whyte trying to constantly reel him in was funny to be fair. 

Yep, "lets have some parliamentary procedure".

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Genie said:

Anthony Joshua to fight Dillian Whyte in August

Zzzzz

Pathetic isn't it. Fury must be due to fight Chisora again soon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Anthony Joshua to fight Dillian Whyte in August

Zzzzz

Joshua, Hearns cash cow to go all the way and win on points. No way he loses that, Hearn and co want him in Saudi for the big one, Wilder or Fury, an he loses both of them.

Â