The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I get how Hearn left Sky to go to DAZN etc but you have Taylor-Serrano this weekend, huge fight, first time 2 females headlined at the big room at the garden. And it’s a brillant fight too. Sky have decided to give it zero mention as they have done with all fights on DAZN since Hearn left. Now i get that. But if you are a broadcaster that has championed women’s sport for years as sky have done magnificently and you totally blacklist coverage of the most biggest fight in women’s boxing and an iconic event because your promoter left - that’s petty. They run a dedicated 24/7 independent sports news channel. They’ve given it zero mention. Nothing on their website. Totally fine if this is the route they want to take but they have misjudged the tone. This was the wrong fight to do this. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I get how Hearn left Sky to go to DAZN etc but you have Taylor-Serrano this weekend, huge fight, first time 2 females headlined at the big room at the garden. And it’s a brillant fight too. Sky have decided to give it zero mention as they have done with all fights on DAZN since Hearn left. Now i get that. But if you are a broadcaster that has championed women’s sport for years as sky have done magnificently and you totally blacklist coverage of the most biggest fight in women’s boxing and an iconic event because your promoter left - that’s petty. They run a dedicated 24/7 independent sports news channel. They’ve given it zero mention. Nothing on their website. Totally fine if this is the route they want to take but they have misjudged the tone. This was the wrong fight to do this. 

This is Sky in a nutshell, they are not a dedicated sports news channel, they simply promote their own products most of the time. Snooker never gets a mention for instance. The only reason they give the Champions league a mention is because some of the sky6 clubs are doing well etc, if they got knocked out early it probably wouldn't get a mention. UFC never gets mentioned etc etc Scumbags.

Cannot wait for this fight, Katie is awesome and so is Serrano too, its the women's fight ever and to be held where it is is fantastic. I have always felt Katie is invincible but this one, I'm not sure about, come on the Katie.

8 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

They run a dedicated 24/7 independent sports news channel. They’ve given it zero mention. Nothing on their website. Totally fine if this is the route they want to take but they have misjudged the tone. This was the wrong fight to do this. 

It’s the second top story on the SkySports boxing page (below Fury).

SkySports Boxing

BCE305-B3-18-B2-4375-85-B6-C0-DC12-E4-C7

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s the second top story on the SkySports boxing page (below Fury).

SkySports Boxing

BCE305-B3-18-B2-4375-85-B6-C0-DC12-E4-C7

Went up shortly after 9 last night. They had nothing all week. Funnily enough Hearn said earlier in the day they’ll probably mention it now he flagged that they were been a bit petty. 

• Like 1

Bivol v GB next week at 175lbs , may have a little bit of an  interest at 5-1 on the naturally bigger guy. A lot closer this IMO than being made out, Bivol has some tools to cause him problems 

Really looking forward to the Valdez and Stevenson. Shame that Valdez has been tainted with cheating allegations after a positive test for steroids. Stevenson has already used this this knowledge to get into the mind of Valdez, if he has managed to put a psychological chink in the armour of Valdez, we will find out tonight. If Stevenson fights anywhere near the level he did against Herring, then it's going to be some fight.

The head says Stevenson but the heart says Valdez.

On 28/04/2022 at 18:44, PaulC said:

Yes I like the history of heavyweight boxing. A case can be made for Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis and Rock Marciano too. Certainly all in the top 10. Ali said that he didnt know if he could have beaten Marciano who remains the only one to have won all his pro fights and many argue he didnt fight anybody good but that simply isnt true. 

I think Ali was just being polite. Imo, he would have boxed the ears off Marciano, has he did with most brawlers. I know Frazier beat him, but he had already been robbed of his most prime years. I would struggle to get Marciano in my top ten, but it's all subjective at the end of the day.

46 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think Ali was just being polite. Imo, he would have boxed the ears off Marciano, has he did with most brawlers. I know Frazier beat him, but he had already been robbed of his most prime years. I would struggle to get Marciano in my top ten, but it's all subjective at the end of the day.

I wasnt in ali's nature to be be polite about another boxer. He had a lot of respect for the rock.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

TR fight marathon Youtube

This is mind numbingly boring fight. I know it’s a unification but it just hasn’t caught fire. Stevenson easily btw. Gonna watch Taylor-Serrano 

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Cracking fight. Taylor wins by SD

Poor decision imo. She came back well the last 3-4 rounds but at most I thought she deserved a draw if that. Serrano was relentless, although she stupidly just went looking for the knockout late instead of keeping up the output. Absolutely amazing fight though. 

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Cracking fight. Taylor wins by SD

It most definitely was. Taylor was lucky that the rounds are only 2 minutes long. If the 5th was 3 minutes she was gone I’d say. All in all though just about shaded it over the course of the fight. I had her down for rounds 1-3 and 7-9. They’ll surely go for a rematch. 

3 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It most definitely was. Taylor was lucky that the rounds are only 2 minutes long. If the 5th was 3 minutes she was gone I’d say. All in all though just about shaded it over the course of the fight. I had her down for rounds 1-3 and 7-9. They’ll surely go for a rematch. 

Oh definitely. If the ref waived it off in the 5th i don’t think there would of been many complaints. She was taking a pasting. Showed huge heart though and finished stronger. 

• Like 1

Â