Are we expecting too much ?

smetrov

Can we go any Further under MON ?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Can we go any Further under MON ?

• He's done his best - but I don't see any further progress
    • We are improving year on year - MON can take us higher

He actually destroyed Celtic in the end giving Balde, Hartson, Sutton really long and expensive contracts before he left which Celtic are crippled by today. He is a good manager but not a great.

Nobody outside of British Isles has heard of MON or think he is a top manaegr they know the top managers like Wenger, Fergie, Hodgson

Why on earth is Hodgson a top manager?

Took Switzerland to the World Cup for first time in a long time,

Took Finland to a whisker of qualifying for Euro 2008 and got 24 points an impressive total for any team.

Took a Fulham team that cost less than our 2 wingers combined to 1 place below us in the league after a miracle survival the year before

He actually destroyed Celtic in the end giving Balde, Hartson, Sutton really long and expensive contracts before he left which Celtic are crippled by today. He is a good manager but not a great.

Nobody outside of British Isles has heard of MON or think he is a top manaegr they know the top managers like Wenger, Fergie, Hodgson

Took Finland to a whisker of qualifying for Euro 2008 and got 24 points an impressive total for any team.

Took a Fulham team that cost less than our 2 wingers combined to 1 place below us in the league after a miracle survival the year before

But you put him in a category with Fergie and Wenger, :?

He's only won anything in Sweden and Denmark. Sorry, I think that's very strange.

He's only won anything in Sweden and Denmark. Sorry, I think that's very strange.

That's probably just as impressive as winning a two horce race in the Scottish league to be honest.

That's probably just as impressive as winning a two horce race in the Scottish league to be honest.

Touché :)

Ya maybe it is but then there's the cups in England for MON too. Anyway this is OT

Not just my opinion talk to journalists of Spain, Italy, Holland, Scandinavia and Germany he is highly respected there not just in England. Inter Milan offered him a job before Fulham as an advisor

Rangers had won 12 of the previous 13 titles before MON got there, it weren't really a 2 horse race. MON made it that way.

Who had been coming 2nd all that time, Brechin City?

Celtic and Aberdeen for the most part.

So if somebody came to Liverpool after all the success United have had in the next decade and won the title 3 out of the next 5 years, you wouldn't consider that a great success?

Rangers had won 12 of the previous 13 titles before MON got there, it weren't really a 2 horse race. MON made it that way.

Its not quite that simple though because MON was given a big transfer budget on his arrival so you are not really comparing apples with apples.

Its not quite that simple though because MON was given a big transfer budget on his arrival so you are not really comparing apples with apples.

:lol:

Suit yourself.

How are you going to attempt to discredit his fantastic jobs with Wycombe and Leicester then?

cant be arsed to read all the posts on this thread, but my two pence worth. Yes we are expecting to much, we talk about how deluded newcaslte fans are on this site but do we actually read our own? some are more deluded if im honest. I would take another top 6, maybe even as low as 7th given the recent form of spurs and money of citeh. Add that with a decent cup run (semi's of any competition) just enough to get Europe for the third season in a row, and hopefully a highly points tally would please me just fine. Needless to say the view wont be shared by majority on here.

I would just like to state the fact that before MON came here, we were on the verge of relegation, then MON probably wouldnt of came, so what kind of trouble will we be in now if that was the case? Championship/League 1 maybe!?

:lol:

Suit yourself.

How are you going to attempt to discredit his fantastic jobs with Wycombe and Leicester then?

I find that an immature response. I wasn't trying to discredit his time at Celtic, I was merely pointing out a fact - would you disagree with my point - and contributing to the debate.

I think he did an excellent job at Leicester. It was a different period in football history where there was certainly less money around, less foreign players and, I believe, you could get further in those days with a well organised side and good team spirit.

I think you have to be smarter nowadays. I like MON and I certainly think that, within the budget he has had, he has done an excellent job building a good squad. I don't know whether he had the budget to go out and get an extra striker/ACM - that is the one area that I think we are still a player short but Randy may be saying you have to leave that for Jan or next summer? I have no doubt that we have a good squad though - I see us beat Plop away, Chelski at home and, IMO, we should have beat Citeh. So he has done very well on that score.

My concern his lack of flexibility. I would call it tactical naivety but some would say that this is disrespectful to MON. I disagree. He doesn't respond to situations early enough if at all.

I am not expecting to finish anywhere particularly as long as we are in the top half. We are probably finishing above our spending/wage bill over the last couple of seasons and that is good. What I am expecting is my manager to give the team that he has built the best chance to finish as high as possible. He does not react to things - poor performances, players tiring, poor formation, opposition tactics - anywhere near often or quickly enough.

We have played the last four away games and been pretty poor - I don't see any reaction/changes by MON to try and inspire a return to form (much the same as the last 15 games of last season). If MON doesn't think that we have the squad for it or that some of the players don't have the experience then that is his fault by now - he has had the chance to shape his squad!

NRC is the classic example for me. As I've said on a number of posts I would play him every time because I want a scrapper and battler in at the heart of my CM BUT I understand that MON doesn't really fancy him. So why keep him?? Why not sell him last summer and replace him with another genuine option. Ditto Gardner?

We have a great run last season playing 4-5-1 away from home. We beat Plop the first away game of this season with 4-5-1 and actually prove it can work at home with Fulham as well. We then play four pretty poor performances in a row away from home. Why doesn't he give the 4-5-1 a shot?? Even if it is in the second half of the Wolves or West Ham game, just to try something different. Its not as if JC is making himself undroppable at the minute.

I don't expect any position I just expect my team/its players to be set up in a way to optimise its potential and given a chance. If that happens and we finish 8th or lower then so be it. My frustration at the minute is that I think we could be significantly better if MON would just try a few things and shake it up some times.

Took original Premier League rich kids Blackburn on the road to relegation.

bugger. you beat me too it by a whisker.

there's no way on this earth i would want Hodgson here at Villa ahead of MON.

Nice post barry'sboots, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I by no means hink MON is mistake free, some of his decisions baffle me. What does annoy me though is that he gets no credit and all the criticism. Whenever we won it was labelled 'lucky'. Even when we ripped Arsenal to shreds at VP, some just said we were lucky, despite the fact it was MON who sent Knight forward late on.

I think some are looking at the performances too much. Of course it would be great to watch fantastic football and win games, but how many teams really do that? Only 4 teams win games on a regular basis in the past few years and Liverpool are dyer as shit to watch and Chelsea were labelled 'boring' under Jose. So that only really leaves United and Arsenal, and we aren't either.

bugger. you beat me too it by a whisker.

there's no way on this earth i would want Hodgson here at Villa ahead of MON.

Coveniently glossing over the fact that he took them to 6th the season before and UEFA Cup qualification. Not to mention the fact that they'd lost most of the decent players they had in the "rich kid" years such as Shearer, Hendry, Le Saux, Sherwood and Berg.

Â