Are we expecting too much ?

smetrov

Can we go any Further under MON ?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Can we go any Further under MON ?

• He's done his best - but I don't see any further progress
    • We are improving year on year - MON can take us higher

Took original Premier League rich kids Blackburn on the road to relegation.

bugger. you beat me too it by a whisker.

there's no way on this earth i would want Hodgson here at Villa ahead of MON.

Coveniently glossing over the fact that he took them to 6th the season before and UEFA Cup qualification. Not to mention the fact that they'd lost most of the decent players they had in the "rich kid" years such as Shearer, Hendry, Le Saux, Sherwood and Berg.

Not at all.

Roy Hodgson joined the club from Inter Milan in the summer of 1997, and appeared to have had a positive effect on the club. He marked his arrival with the signings of highly rated Swedish striker Martin Dahlin and promising defender Stephane Henchoz. Chris Sutton and Kevin Gallacher led a prolific attack, and were able to help the team overcome the disappointing form of Dahlin, who struggled with a back injury. UEFA cup football was secured with a 6th place finish, and there were plenty of entertaining games, such as a 4–3 defeat to Leeds which saw all 7 goals coming within the first 32 minutes, and a 5–3 success over Leicester at Ewood Park. Although some of these results went against them, it summed up Hodgson's newly installed attacking ideology. With European football coming up, and the prospect of a title challenge on the horizon, things looked promising at the start of the 1998–99 season.

However, Rovers made a poor start to the campaign and Hodgson was sacked in December less than an hour after a 2–0 home defeat to bottom side Southampton, a result that locked Rovers in the relegation zone. The £7.5m signing of young Southampton striker Kevin Davies was a disaster, with Davies only netting once, against Charlton in a rare win, in 24 games. To make matters worse, team captain and midfield enforcer Tim Sherwood was sold to Tottenham Hotspur, leaving the side without a leader.

seems to be that, with money to spend, Hodgo had 1 decent season at Blackburn (achieving 6th - as did villa under MON twice running by the way) and was then sacked after a disastrous 2nd season, as the club tumbled towards relegation.

not good, and not someone i'd want in charge at Villa.

Â