Are we expecting too much ?

smetrov

Can we go any Further under MON ?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Can we go any Further under MON ?

• He's done his best - but I don't see any further progress
    • We are improving year on year - MON can take us higher

Can people stop shooting people (was me, now others) down for suggesting names that would be available , and probably interested if MON went.

Personally, I wasn't saying I want any of them, I was just proving a point that, when people say "Who do you want, there is nobody available that would consider us" - that there is.

There must have been at least 30 names put forward here, just off the top of peoples heads - and no matter who it is, it gets shot down for some stupid reason, like they have won nothing.

To be honest, you could suggest Arsene Wenger and I am sure someone would come on and say "Hasn't won anything for donkeys - not good enough"

The fact is, MON is not a bad premiership manager. But there are literally hundreds of names, whether they be established managers like Ranieri / Houllier , up and coming managers who were world class players like Van Basten , or the likes of Rijkaard (although he's now gone to Turkey) , or even untried names, like Cowans - that would very much consider Villa.

It doesn't matter what they have done in the past , its what they can offer Villa in the future - and there are 100's who could offer us a hell of a lot.

Here is a question for all those who say people like Van Basten / Rijkaard - and lets say just for a bit of controversy, someone like David Moyes aren't good enough as they have won sod all.

Would you consider a guy whose best ever management finish was finishing 14th ? - no.

You've just ruled out Ron Saunders joining the Villa !

I have said before. I have put forward the worlds top playing names here, not because I want them, as I have said, just to prove a point.

Personally ? - I'v said it - I would love to see if Sid can do it - why not ? , the bootr room worked at Liverpool for 20 yrs - why not try and replicate it. Maybe with an experienced guy helping him.

(oh - and if no one had given a one time interpretor, come youth team coach a chance - Inter Milan wouldn't have there manager at the moment !)

He actually destroyed Celtic in the end giving Balde, Hartson, Sutton really long and expensive contracts before he left which Celtic are crippled by today. He is a good manager but not a great.

Nobody outside of British Isles has heard of MON or think he is a top manaegr they know the top managers like Wenger, Fergie, Hodgson

Yeh, after he left they won the SPL in 05/6, 06/7, 07/8. Clearly, utterly trashed.

He actually destroyed Celtic in the end giving Balde, Hartson, Sutton really long and expensive contracts before he left which Celtic are crippled by today. He is a good manager but not a great.

Nobody outside of British Isles has heard of MON or think he is a top manaegr they know the top managers like Wenger, Fergie, Hodgson

Yeh, after he left they won the SPL in 05/6, 06/7, 07/8. Clearly, utterly trashed.

There is no debate then - if thats the criteria - lets go and get Strachan before he gets settled.

Or McLeish for that matter !

Sorry, no offence to either MON or Scotland - but winning the league with Celtic is about as much as an acheivement of Crystal Palace getting to the play-offs.

The thing I think with Villa fans is we've been starved of success for so long. Seriously closest we've got to winning anything major was the F.A Cup under Gregory. We've had some dodgy managers GT Mk II DO'L and now MON comes along and we get back to back 6th place. This may seem amazing but we have Randy and MON has spent a lot pf money putting HIS squad together and after 4 seasons in charge its obvious he's incapable of getting a team to play anything othe rthan one style of football. It's very crap style of football and if it's not working we don't have an alternative. We can beat Liverpool and Chelsea just like Bolton used to under Allerdyce with there similar crap style of football but like them we'll never have any consistency.

I understand why I get abuse for stating these things and being accused of being a bluenose, not knowing anything about football and such but I think I'm just arriving at the answer quicker than some people.

financially crippled they can only compete with championship clubs for playes like Fortune and Fox

financially crippled they can only compete with championship clubs for playes like Fortune and Fox

In fairness thats got more to do with the state of the sponsership of the SPL than any manager.

Well, by the look of things, there is no chance of him repeating that with Villa! :lol: Are you sure that Celtic's financial situation is entirely down to MON? Sounds improbable.

Well, by the look of things, there is no chance of him repeating that with Villa! :lol: Are you sure that Celtic's financial situation is entirely down to MON? Sounds improbable.

He has given Heskey a contract which is a start

Guest Ricardomeister

Imo if MON is a "great" manager then there are loads of "great" managers around and it devalues the meaning of the word. The word "great" imo should be reserved for the best 1 or 2 managers of that era and MON is not even close. In terms of tactics, purchases, style of play and sucess at the very top level I cannot see how MON can be accurately described as "great". MON is a good manager but no more imo. I am sure there are managers who would do a better job and others that would do a worse job. Speculating on individual names is irelevant as nobody would know for sure whether they would do a better job unless they were given the chance.

I do not wish for MON to be replaced this season, but I would certainly be asking questions if we don't get into Europe at the very least, given all the money he has been given.

maybe strachan is the better manager then

For the amount of money he has spent over the last three years I would expect to finish at least 5th/4th this year. Anything less I would deem to be an underachievement.
I would say that other clubs - Spurs, Sunderland, to mention but two - have spent heavily over the past three years but they can't all have a right to fourth/fifth place just because of the spending they've done. Also, you have to take our spending over the past 3 years in the context of the woeful spending from around 2000-5. The last 3 years has really just been re-stocking the larder with essentials.

This forum is the exact reason I only come on here now once every fortnight, instead of every night.

It is quite clear, there are about 50% of people, in facr, I'd go for a few more who think MON has probably gone as far as he can. Of these, some say go now, and a lot say - I think he has, but I am prepared to give him a bit longer to prove me wrong.

Then you have around the same amount, probably slightly less (I know the poll doesn't say that, but as I said, its like politics - think there are around30% undecided's in there) who think MON is the guy.

However, , and I've just read it above, every time someone says - I don't think so because of x,y,z - they are immediately shot down by the same ones saying "yeah but x y z !"

its got just pathetic now.

I wish people would face it.

There are those who like O'Neill.

There are those who dont like O'Neill

And - sorry to tell some of you guys

There is a hell of a mjority, who are not fussed either way, and if he went tomorrow - wouldn't be too bothered.

This forum is the exact reason I only come on here now once every fortnight, instead of every night.

It is quite clear, there are about 50% of people, in facr, I'd go for a few more who think MON has probably gone as far as he can. Of these, some say go now, and a lot say - I think he has, but I am prepared to give him a bit longer to prove me wrong.

Then you have around the same amount, probably slightly less (I know the poll doesn't say that, but as I said, its like politics - think there are around30% undecided's in there) who think MON is the guy.

However, , and I've just read it above, every time someone says - I don't think so because of x,y,z - they are immediately shot down by the same ones saying "yeah but x y z !"

its got just pathetic now.

I wish people would face it.

There are those who like O'Neill.

There are those who dont like O'Neill

And - sorry to tell some of you guys

There is a hell of a mjority, who are not fussed either way, and if he went tomorrow - wouldn't be too bothered.

Cant agree more we all have different opinions

Personally I do not think we are expecting too much.

Start of the season I expected us to finish 8th, and still do. However I do not think that will be good enough for the manager.

I am also disappointed that we have had opportunities to actually cement our fight for a place higher than 8th and have failed to take them. Not sure what I am saying but the main thing for me is that I do not think fans expectations is too high

Why on earth is Hodgson a top manager?

It is quite clear, there are about 50% of people, in facr, I'd go for a few more who think MON has probably gone as far as he can.

Way to make up a random stat to support your claim, despite multiple sources of evidence. You really can't argue with that :?

Â