Are we expecting too much ?

smetrov

Can we go any Further under MON ?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Can we go any Further under MON ?

• He's done his best - but I don't see any further progress
    • We are improving year on year - MON can take us higher

Lol...there are so many managers worldwide who could get us decent players...and failing that...get us playing decent football it's ridiculous...I think alot of people must be hypnotised...just the same way they think there are realistically no strikers better than what we have that we could have gotten worldwide, or a right back 2 seasons ago...etc etc.lol. We've wasted a shit load of money...wasted a shit load of opportunities...people please remember at one point we were undoubtedly one of the richest clubs in the country with excitement and buzz around the club. We then proceeded to sign dross and lower our expectations.

Maybe it's because I've had a few, but we aren't a big club. We have history and thats that. It's a major part of the frankly redundant big club debate but it's still rather poor. We haven't won a trophy in 13 years. Our greatest achievement was 27 years ago. We've not won the league in 28 years na dhave flirted with winning it twice in the remaining years. Before that, there were people born in the year of our last great achievement before that that were hitting 25. Before that its 37 years from our last FA Cup, and 47 from our last league. After the 1920's we're a corpse with an occasional hiccup of glory.

All are part of our proud history and we can hope to repeat them and yes it's good that we should, but frankly we're a none entity these days. Footballs moved on exponentially, and all we can hold on to is the past and the hope we can relieve the glory days when they return to us, but that isn't now and it isn't soon either IMO. We have the cups and that is it, and those have such a hint of luck involved I wouldn't bank on a win if Randy swapped bank accounts with Abu Dhabi for a while.

OH **** IT

No-one would ever consider the Villa because it doesn't matter who it is - where they are, or what they are doing.

Its better than managing Aston villa

I accept that I should be happy that we haven't won a trophy in 14 yrs, and that Martin O'neill should be considered a messiah for getting us to the Uefa Cup that I took for granted under GT, BFR, BL and JG.

There - you win !

No-one **** says Martin O'Neill is the messiah you cretin.

In fact I didn't say any of that.

Christ people are thick.

No mate - you look at the last two pages and see what utter drivel is being written.

You say there is no one available - I then say someone like van Basten and the reply is as stupid as "Van Basten is living a perfect life in the Bavarian Alps, picking daisies with his Air Hostess wife , making decorative daisy chains and selling them to passing tourists and giving the proceeds to Romanian Orphans - he'd never consider the Villa"

So why should I bother.

Just a few others - Laurent Blanc , Paulo maldini.

Here is one from the far fetched reaches of the black lagoon.

How about doing it the Liverpool Boot room way - Gordan Cowans hasn't done a bad job - we'd certainly know how to sodding pass a ball.

There are 100's of names out there - so accept it !

Van Basten - Absolutely no experience of English football at any level. Failed as Ajax manager, pissed off a massive amount of the Dutch squad etc etc.

Laurent Blanc - Playing CL football with Bordeaux and winning titles. No Prem experience.

Paulo Maldini - So utterly ridiculous a suggestion as to be a waste of time discussing. Has absolutely no interest in coaching at all. I mean, seriously? Do you even know what you're saying? Honestly.

Its funny you say there are hundred when everyone you've mentioned has been utter arse gravy.

Gordan Cowans? Legend he is... no wait... whats the point.

i don't think anyone could realisticly demand that we break into that top 4 this year.

But this requires people being realistic.

But people can realistically believe we have a chance to break in to the top four this season. They can also realistically believe we can see better performances by the team and tactical choices by the manager that sends that team out to play the way they do.

i don't think anyone could realisticly demand that we break into that top 4 this year.

But this requires people being realistic.

But people can realistically believe we have a chance to break in to the top four this season. They can also realistically believe we can see better performances by the team and tactical choices by the manager that sends that team out to play the way they do.

Why were you realistically thinking of top 4 this season??

Not being funny but outside of the internets most Villa fans werent barking about it.

Our squad is still pretty average - O'Neills sorted out the defense but elswhere were still pretty hit or miss

Jesus - even Blues are being linked to Ranieri.

If we were being linked with Ranieri, I would personally go to DOLs house and beg him to come back to Villa, just so we don't get Ranieri, he's awful.

The names you've mentioned are either unrealistic or no better than MON. You say all these names would love to manage in the Premier League.. Chelsea couldn't even get Hiddink to stay on! Chelsea, not us!

MON is a proven manager, he's done a good job, no - great job - wherever he has been and is continuing to do so here. We're 1 point behind the team in 4th and we're thinking about sacking the manager? :lol:

Thankfully we have somebody in charge at Villa who doesn't seem to think the same of MON as some do on here. Hopefully MON will be here for a long, long time.

Klinsmanns a **** awful manager.

Viera? who's he?

Eriksson wasn't great either and has proved he's quite clearly happy to cash his cheque these days.

Trappattoni's past it as well and isn't the greatest love of the Irish fans as far as I've seen either.

If you culd name 100 managers that realistically are better for Aston Villa than Martin O'Neill I'll happily give £10 to the site, and I'm skint.

Because you can't.

Klinsmann is useless. Germanys success in 2006 was down to Jogu Loew. Klinsmann got the boot from Bayern because he was found out to be rubbish.

Trappattoni got sacked from Stuttgart after about 6 weeks and went to Red Bull Salzburg before Ireland. He's too defence minded and not cut out for top level club football anymore IMO

How he can't see we need a **** goal scorer who does it on a constant basis is beyond me.

I'm sure he does realise we need a regular goalscorer. But regular scorers are hard to come buy. Not 1 player got 20 league goals last season in the Premier League, so even the best of teams can't find them.

How he can't see we need a **** goal scorer who does it on a constant basis is beyond me.

I'm sure he does realise we need a regular goalscorer. But regular scorers are hard to come buy. Not 1 player got 20 league goals last season in the Premier League, so even the best of teams can't find them.

darren bent is a regular goalscorer, and would work pretty damn well with our current set up imo

darren bent is a regular goalscorer, and would work pretty damn well with our current set up imo

I agree that Bent is a good player and would likely score goals here. But say we spend £15m on him next summer and he scored about 10 goals next season.. people will be bringing up the same arguements.

I think it's a absurd to assume that out of the thousands of managers who are currently in the game, none of them are better than O'Neil, or if they are, those people are already managing the likes of AC Milan and Barcelona.

So we shouldn't care whatever MON does, he's the best we'll ever have, so even if his tactics are bewildering and ludicrous, it's not a concern, MON is the best we will ever get, and we should just accept it.

I think anyone who thinks that there isn't any better managers out there who would want to come to Villa is being highly illogical, because subjectivity over quality of manager aside, sheer mathematics and probability will tell you that is is logical that at least 3 or 4 managers out of the thousands of managers around the world would fit the 2 criteria of being better than MON and wanting to come to Villa.

I am certainly starting to have my doubts about his approach - and to be honest I am sure there is logic there, it's just that it's hard to spot sometimes.

My feeling is that he has assembled too many bass players and not enough lead guitarists and while we are pretty good at keeping a beat there is not much actual music being played.

I think there are several managers that could come in and do at least as good a job as him, perhaps even a few that could do better, but there are also plenty who could come in and take us backwards.

Remember too that up to a certain point hiring a new manager means starting again - and in my view generally leads to a team going backwards before it goes forwards.

My suspicion is that at the end of this season there will be a review of things by MON and Randy and I'd not be surprised if MON decided to move on of his own accord. All just speculation, but a gut feeling.

I agree that Bent is a good player and would likely score goals here. But say we spend £15m on him next summer and he scored about 10 goals next season.. people will be bringing up the same arguements.

sure then we'd best just not buy anyone else ever again

you know, in case they dont work

My feeling is that he has assembled too many bass players and not enough lead guitarists and while we are pretty good at keeping a beat there is not much actual music being played.

best analogy i think ive ever heard :lol:

its spot on though

Â