General Chat

Stevo985

Pfft, that's nothing.  Come back when you're BSc SSc.

4464652983_da5c2f0425_z.jpg

:D :D

(Bronze Swimming certificate, Silver Swimming certificate)

I know, I just  need no excuse to post that picture :D

ive applied for a job in new zealand, theyve sent me back 12 questions, most are fairly straight forward but i think they'll want something special for these -

What are your motivations / reasons for moving to New Zealand and have you visited previously?

If you are considering Christchurch, how do you feel about living and working in a city affected by an Earthquake and still feeling on going aftershocks

Have you done any research into the differences between New Zealand and your current country of residence as far as work conditions, remuneration, locations, schooling and so on are concerned

any ideas?

ive applied for a job in new zealand, theyve sent me back 12 questions, most are fairly straight forward but i think they'll want something special for these -

What are your motivations / reasons for moving to New Zealand and have you visited previously?

If you are considering Christchurch, how do you feel about living and working in a city affected by an Earthquake and still feeling on going aftershocks

Have you done any research into the differences between New Zealand and your current country of residence as far as work conditions, remuneration, locations, schooling and so on are concerned

any ideas?

First and second questions - be honest.

Third question, ask kiwivillan.

Edit: Then again if they let Nick Rogers in they can't be too fussy. :P

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Emigrated to Thailand yesterday!

You jammy git!!!

Good luck with it mate. I effin love that country.

Have you sorted a job or are you going to become a beach bum/man of leisure?

My wife and I are opening a crèche at the property we bought a while back, she'll run that whilst I teach a bit of English later on when the business is up and running.

I can't teach at a school as I don't have a degree, so the the plan is to do it privately at our place in the evenings.

Other than that, I'll spend a fair bit of time fishing at the huge reservoir just down the road from our house, might take up golf too. :-)

Just had a thought. You get the instances of a (for example) Chinese couple emigrating here and their children sound English. But you never see a White, British couple going over to China and their children speaking Chinese as a first language. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard a non-Chinese person speak fluent Chinese. Would be extremely weird.

Just had a thought. You get the instances of a (for example) Chinese couple emigrating here and their children sound English. But you never see a White, British couple going over to China and their children speaking Chinese as a first language. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard a non-Chinese person speak fluent Chinese. Would be extremely weird.

I'll bet it does happen. But Anglophone expats often tend to put their kids in English schools if available, which is silly and a missed opportunity, IMO. Young children (up to the age of about eight) are capable of learning several languages simultaneously.

An ex-colleague of mine knew a couple - French bloke, Japanese woman - who met in Paris while working for one of the big British auction houses. They both spoke English, but not each other's languages. Their two kids went to school in France and grew up fluent in French, English and Japanese. Fantastic.

I'll bet it does happen. But Anglophone expats often tend to put their kids in English schools if available, which is silly and a missed opportunity, IMO. Young children (up to the age of about eight) are capable of learning several languages simultaneously.

An ex-colleague of mine knew a couple - French bloke, Japanese woman - who met in Paris while working for one of the big British auction houses. They both spoke English, but not each other's languages. Their two kids went to school in France and grew up fluent in French, English and Japanese. Fantastic.

That's awesome :D

agency just phoned me up -

"how much are you currently on? wow, really? thats **** embarrassing, if you ever get asked in an interview you should lie and tell them more incase they think youa re being underpaid on purpose"

:(

"how much are you currently on? wow, really? thats **** embarrassing, if you ever get asked in an interview you should lie and tell them more incase they think youa re being underpaid on purpose"

Do you often give out this kind of information to strangers who call you?

They're extremely rare, but it does happen, trust me. Every now and then one pops up on TV (not that I watch TV, but my mom does)

I'll bet it does happen. But Anglophone expats often tend to put their kids in English schools if available, which is silly and a missed opportunity, IMO.

Agreed. Personally my biggest gripe with that pattern is that it intensifies ethnic/xenophobic divides. If the guy next door to you speaks with an accent similar to yours (and the more you interact with other cultures, the more likely you are to pick up their accents) you are more likely to find common ground with him and to feel comfortable opening up to him. Not a good idea if you want a happy, cohesive society.

Do you often give out this kind of information to strangers who call you?

recruitment agency, i knew the bloke and he's already got 4/5 other members of staff in my company jobs elsewhere this week

Jaysus it is warm. Some days you just gotta get home and take your pants off.

All day all that I have wanted to do is get in from work and sit outside on the roof and have a couple of cans, I have just got in and it is blowing a hurricane outside and the sun has gone in. Don't even know if I fancy a drink now

Â