General Chat

Stevo985

Er she got tonked in the 1st Rd, 6-2 6-0

Until our comps get tennis courts and get kids playing, we are always going to be an embarrassment

Laura should be rightly riding a pony rather than going through this agony

watson and robson will be excellent in a couple of years, ok maybe not slam winners, but a considerable improvement on whats gone before. Baltacha and Keothavong both peaked in the top 50 which was maximising their ability, but are probably on the way down. Watson and Robson, especially the latter could be top 20 players in 2-3 years time imo. Watson, maybe not so much, but she's done alot better than predicted of her so far.

Azarenka is just a much better player at this moment in time.

CI - We've started way behind the others. Rectifying it won't happen in an instant, changes that were made 5-10 years ago, is getting us players only just now who are able to qualify for slams. Its a long term thing - last year at the US junior Open i believe we had 3 of the 4 semi finalists were brits - one of whom won it. There are more kids there now, who are coming through, how well they do is another matter, but they are performing better at the youth level.

Getting 4-5 of either sex to be in the top 50 would be a good start - and the women's side might finally get close to achieving that, and whilst after Murray there is a gap ( Ward is thoroughly mediocre ), those young kids doing ok on the juniors will be making themselves gradually more visible over the next couple of years. Sure, no guarantees, but its frankly already more than there was 10 years ago, where it was Henman, Rusedski and **** all else anywhere, except a couple of brief highlights from sam smith in the womens.

So the eastern europeans have developed faster ( they've been doing it for the last 10 years now ) and dominating, good for them. Maybe part of it is due to an extra 'hunger' to succeed, which our spoilt youth maybe dont have, who knows, but if we dont have a few youths at least regularly winning a couple of rounds at slams in 2-3 years I'll eat my clothes.

Just found out that a lad I was at primary school with was sent down for child molesting a couple of years ago. Totally shocked.

He's a Jehovah's Witness, incidentally.

Mental or physical molesting? :P

Jail for trying to abduct girl, 5

A former teacher turned playground designer has been jailed for attempting to abduct a five-year-old girl.

Robert Bill, 54, of St Asaph, Denbighshire, was jailed for a total of six years at Caernarfon Crown Court.

North Wales Police said after the case that Bill would be closely watched when he is eventually released from prison.

Bill, who will be on the sex offender register for 10 years, was told by the judge he had an "unhealthy sexual and predatory interest" in children.

He had also been convicted of indecent assault and the possession of 730 indecent images last September.

Bill was sentenced to four years in prison for the attempted abduction of the girl, 18 months for indecent assault and six months for possession of indecent images, which were said to be of the lowest category, and he was disqualified from working with children.

After the hearing Det Insp David Roome said: "This was not a spur of the moment act, but clearly planned, evidenced by his persistence in driving around a housing estate in his vehicle with dust sheet across the back seat.

"One can only guess at what the outcome might have been had he not been discovered committing the offence."

"The investigation was impeded by the misguided actions of Bill's immediate family in disposing of computer equipment before it could be fully examined by police."

He said the sentences given to Bill's wife and son acknowledged that.

He said Bill would be closely monitored after his release "and the wide-ranging conditions of the sexual offences prevention order that has been imposed on him will aid this".

Bill was told by Judge Philip Hughes: "The nature of your offending demonstrates you have an unhealthy sexual and predatory interest in young children which despite your convictions you continue to deny."

His wife Jackie, who had previously admitted perverting the course of justice, was given a six months suspended sentence and also ordered to carry out 250 hours of unpaid work.

His son David, 24, was ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work for perverting the course of justice.

Bill qualified as an art and design teacher in 1975 before setting up a playground equipment company called Play Quest in 1991.

He sold the company in 2001 and went into property development and decking work before forming a company called Play Zone with his sons.

The court heard how he had stopped on an estate in Holywell, Flintshire, in his Ford Mondeo on the afternoon of 22 June, 2007 and asked a five-year-old girl, returning home from a playground, if she had seen a cat.

Prosecutor Simon Medland said the incident had been spotted by the girl's mother from her window and the girl's uncle appeared before an abduction could take place.

Bill, previously a man of good character, claimed he stopped his car to check a wheel and had not approached the child.

The indecent assault had occurred at St Asaph 10 years ago involving a seven-year-old girl.

Although the girl had recalled seeing a camera there was no evidence it had been used.

David Potter, defending, pointed out that the offences did not involve touching, grabbing or coercion.

Mr Potter said Bill had hoped to return to teaching, but this would now be impossible.

Bill had also run two successful businesses in the past, but his last one had now been effectively wound up. He was a family man, a grandfather devoted to his wife of 30 years.

The court heard that he had spent 18 months in custody and had had a "torrid time" since his arrest.

He accepted the need for his behaviour to be monitored in future and that his actions had brought fear and suspicion for his family and church.

The nightmare of his arrest would be a constant reminder that his life would never be the same, the court was told.

The judge, sentencing his wife and son, added: "I recognise that you were both in a misguided way trying to protect a husband and father."

BBC

Still, mustn't tar them all with the same brush - not ALL child molesters are Jehovah's Witnesses. :winkold:

Seriously though, this was 2009, and he's already out. :o

I put our old range cooker on ebay, it was in when we moved in and is pretty shabby. I did say in the ad it was in well used condition. I really expected only 20-30 quid for it. Guy just messaged me asking if I'll take 150 for it.... Now that's great but is he misunderstanding the condition of it?

I put our old range cooker on ebay, it was in when we moved in and is pretty shabby. I did say in the ad it was in well used condition. I really expected only 20-30 quid for it. Guy just messaged me asking if I'll take 150 for it.... Now that's great but is he misunderstanding the condition of it?

I'd email him and make it absolutely clear of the condition, and if he still wants it, take his money!

Â