General Chat

Stevo985

What's the best/easiest way to sell a CD collection of around 50 CD's? Is ebay the way to go? I cant imagine anybody would be interested in a job lot, so I'd have to sell them individually, which would be a hassle. Then there is music magpie, which is much less hassle, but you don't get much for your CD's and reviews are mixed, with some people not getting their money after sending their CD's. Anybody here used magpie?

What's the best/easiest way to sell a CD collection of around 50 CD's? Is ebay the way to go? I cant imagine anybody would be interested in a job lot, so I'd have to sell them individually, which would be a hassle. Then there is music magpie, which is much less hassle, but you don't get much for your CD's and reviews are mixed, with some people not getting their money after sending their CD's. Anybody here used magpie?
Don't have the answer, but I have a related question - has anybody here ever done a car boot sale? (as a vendor that is). I have a load of stuff (mainly books and LPs) that I'm considering offloading, and I don't want to have to get into postage and packing.

Don't have the answer, but I have a related question - has anybody here ever done a car boot sale? (as a vendor that is). I have a load of stuff (mainly books and LPs) that I'm considering offloading, and I don't want to have to get into postage and packing.

They're full of pikey chancers these days, Mike. I went to help a friend out at one the other day and before we'd even unpacked, they were rifling through the boxes (that were still in the car at this stage) asking "got any gold?" Ad infinitum.

From what I've seen, they're very hit and miss. My friend does loads of them and she sometimes comes away having sold next to nothing and sometimes cleans up.

We had someone ask us what one particular item was (it was a diffuser from a hairdryer apparently). They had no idea what it was and even when it was explained to them that it would only fit certain hairdryers, they were more than happy to offer £5 for it. Very odd.

DO NOT USE "Music Magpie" or any of those scrounging bastard sites. Most of 'em are a con, anyway. Your best bet if you want to make a decent bit of ££££ is to list your CD's and do some research to see what they fetch on eBay. Always pays to check if that Tori Amos disc you've been using as a coaster isn't actually a rare Swahili-only import with her acoustic cover of "Lady In Red" as a bonus track that some 'fanboi' will pay megabucks for.

Also, when you do list them for sale, sign up to fan forums of that particular artist (or of the whole genre if it's something a bit leftfield) and do a bit of free advertising to draw attention to your sale, for example:

===LADYSMITH 4EVA FORUM===

Hey there all you Ladysmith Black Mambazo fans! New to the site, just wanted to let you know I'm selling this ultra-rare limited print of their experimental drum 'n' bass album, please have a look here [insert link] if you're interested.

OMG!!!! That's the album with Keith Flint doing guest vocals on "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" that I've been trying to find for AGES! I will immediately visit your auction and bid my life-savings on it!!!!!

Anything Ladysmith wrote before 1990 is irrelevant
=======================

Sit back and watch the moolah roll in. 8)

Ive done one and my feelings are mixed, managed to get rid of a boat load of stuff that was to good for the skip. Was a horrible experience though. My tips would be, arrive very early (failure to do this will mean that people are literally taking things out of your car as you try to set up), lock your car (i used my dads, someone tried to take his tools), be prepared for all of your stuff to be treated like crap, passed around, thrown around and slated. Be prepared to haggle, no one wants to pay full price for anything, if your selling cd's etc, make sure you show the cd inside the case. I had people trying it on afterwards saying they'd bought something but nothing was in the case.

Popular items seem to be computer parts, tools, babies clothes.

I think you've put me off boot sales.

Next question: anybody know anything about getting a stall at a record fair or book fair? Do you have to be "trade", or can anybody do it?

DO NOT USE "Music Magpie" or any of those scrounging bastard sites. Most of 'em are a con, anyway. Your best bet if you want to make a decent bit of ££££ is to list your CD's and do some research to see what they fetch on eBay. Always pays to check if that Tori Amos disc you've been using as a coaster isn't actually a rare Swahili-only import with her acoustic cover of "Lady In Red" as a bonus track that some 'fanboi' will pay megabucks for.

Also, when you do list them for sale, sign up to fan forums of that particular artist (or of the whole genre if it's something a bit leftfield) and do a bit of free advertising to draw attention to your sale, for example:

===LADYSMITH 4EVA FORUM===

Hey there all you Ladysmith Black Mambazo fans! New to the site, just wanted to let you know I'm selling this ultra-rare limited print of their experimental drum 'n' bass album, please have a look here [insert link] if you're interested.

OMG!!!! That's the album with Keith Flint doing guest vocals on "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" that I've been trying to find for AGES! I will immediately visit your auction and bid my life-savings on it!!!!!

Anything Ladysmith wrote before 1990 is irrelevant
=======================

Sit back and watch the moolah roll in. 8)

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not THAT bothered about the £££. Well I am, but selling each one individually, posting off auctioning etc etc seems like a hassle. There are 40 odd to get rid of. Music magpie have offered £52 for the lot, I know I could get much more on Amazon or Ebay, but it's hassle. They've given me enjoyment, I've got them all on mp3 now, £52 quid in my skyrocket, thanks very much.

I'm just not too happy with the terms and conditions on magpie. If the CD is not deemed fit for sale you lose it, they don't return them and they deduct it from the money they owe. Their decision is final. Other than a few cracked cases all my cd's are fine, but those terms and conditions coupled with mixed reviews, don't fill me with a great deal of confidence.

I think you've put me off boot sales.

Next question: anybody know anything about getting a stall at a record fair or book fair? Do you have to be "trade", or can anybody do it?

Seems anyone can give it a crack. Going rate is apparently about £100 per table.

Some info here:

http://www.vip-24.com/sellersinfo.htm

And this one is in the North so might be more relevant to you, Mike (much cheaper too - £40 per table).

http://www.premierfairs.co.uk/

Anyone ever broken their contract of employment?

I'm due for redundancy fairly soon but my boss is being a bit of a tit about it and not giving me any clear indication of when that is likely to be. I've got a 3 month notice period and ideally I'd like to get a redundancy payment but I'd obviously have to work my notice.

I had expected to get my notice in the next couple of weeks so have started to look for work and have even managed to line up a couple of interviews for next week.

My problem is that it will severely hamper my ability to land either of those jobs if I tell them I have to work 3 months notice and I'm utterly convinced that my boss will bleed me dry for every last day of it.

So I either work my notice period and then try to find a job or I find a job before then and have to walk away from my existing contract of employment. I guess in theory they could sue me for breach of contract but I'm guessing that's pretty unlikely. What I am more concerned about though is them telling potential new employers that I broke my contract with them as that definitely wouldn't look good.

Any suggestions?

Yup - there's a prescribed process that is being followed and lots of people will be getting shit-canned (I believe that's now the official phrase). Been here for 4+ years and (if I say so myself) have always been an exemplary employee but my new boss clearly isn't interested in niceties and is going to keep me hanging on a thread for as long as he feels he needs me which is just knackering my chances of finding alternative employment. Clearly I want a good reference and I'm not going to get one of those if I just up and leave but at the same time, if I'm offered a good job in the meantime, I'd be daft not to take it. Totally screwing my head, this one. ;)

Firstly if redundancy is in process, not a chance you will be taken to court or anything for breach of contract.

Most potential employers I have interviewed for will either accept a 3 month notice period or ask "would you be prepared to leave your current role sooner?", therefore they would accept a pretty standard reference from the company you are leaving.

Also if your current company is struggling they might be happy to get your wages of the books and give you a good reference. But only speak to them AFTER you have accepted the new job of course.

Personally I would make the jump to a more secure company regardless of getting a redundancy package worth 4 years.

Yeah - the payoff would be nice but wouldn't last long if I didn't have a job and I'd much rather have a permanent job. It would just be nice to leave on good terms with a good reference in my back pocket.

Ultimately, I'm sure I would jump if given the chance, just a little concerned that it might come back to bite me if a potential employer saw me as the kind of person who wouldn't honour a contract.

Surely your employer would agree to reduce your notice period if it meant they didn't have to pay you thousands in redundancy pay? Its a no brainer for them. You just need to have a 'hypothetical' chat with your boss about being released early if a job came up.

Surely your employer would agree to reduce your notice period if it meant they didn't have to pay you thousands in redundancy pay? Its a no brainer for them. You just need to have a 'hypothetical' chat with your boss about being released early if a job came up.

You'd think it would be that simple, eh? :winkold:

Unfortunately my current boss isn't that straightforward and it's become a bit of a me vs him battle. He wants me to make good on the promises he made (without consulting me) before I go. If I go and they're not done, he looks silly. Ultimately, I'll have to take it over his head if/when it comes to it, I guess.

I understand it is difficult for your boss because he doesn't want everybody to leave and him being left doing the work of 5 people for the next few months.

I was made redundant a few years back and to avoid this situation they did "payment in lieu of notice". Like you I was on a 12 week notice period and as an incentive for me to stay to the date they wanted they waited until 2 weeks before the (pre agreed) redundancy date before giving it me officially. They then paid me for the full 12 weeks. The 2 week notice is, I believe, the minimum they can give.

It worked out very well, I got a job earning more money and a pocket full of cash from my previous employers :D

Â