General Chat

Stevo985

Anyone with a knowledge of German fancy helping me out?

I'm trying to translate a letter (English into German) for a friend at work who wants to write to a distant German relative. I have a basic knowledge of German from A-level (three years ago now) and am struggling with certain parts. Firstly, they want to open the letter with 'This is your cousin Beth from England'. In a letter situation, I'm unsure how to put that. I've got 'Hier schreibt Ihre Kusine Beth aus England' but I'm not sure about it.

There are also smaller aspects, such as whether to use 'Sie' (I've decided to, being as they haven't been in touch in years apparently) and how to finish the letter, etc. At the moment I'm going with 'Mit besten Grüßen'.

Help would be appreciated, didn't want to start a new thread though!

What is it with people who pronounce migraine megraine.

It's just a headache

fixed

As someone who suffers with them, very, very very wrong. They're far from just a headache.

My mum suffers from very bad migraines, and it really annoys her when people who have a headache claim they have a migraine. Or, people who have experienced a mild migraine and try to sympathise with her, explaining that it was difficult to work/put up with the kids/make dinner or something similar. When my mum gets a bad migraine, she can be in bed for pretty much two or three days solid and is practically incapable of doing anything.

My mum suffers from very bad migraines, and it really annoys her when people who have a headache claim they have a migraine. Or, people who have experienced a mild migraine and try to sympathise with her, explaining that it was difficult to work/put up with the kids/make dinner or something similar. When my mum gets a bad migraine, she can be in bed for pretty much two or three days solid and is practically incapable of doing anything.

Oh yes, very much this.

I've had about 5-6 'proper' migraines in my life and they absolutely knock the shit out of you. Tunnel vision (sometimes practically losing sight in one eye) and throwing up continuously. The only thing you can do is lie down in a dark room and hope it subsides quickly.

I get really annoyed when someone will say 'I don't feel too well, It's one of my migraines' and they are working at a bloody computer screen! You don't have a migraine you tool, you have a bastard headache.

When my mum gets a bad migraine, she can be in bed for pretty much two or three days solid and is practically incapable of doing anything.

Pff, lazy wimp (runs for cover)

Migraines ruin you! I have Vascular ones very bad and Ocular ones that happen from time to time. They have tried to put me on tons of meds in the past but I hate them and they didn't really help anyway. The best trick I have found *if conditions permit you to do this* is to get in a hot bath *with the lights off and a non scented candle or something for a bit of light* and an ice pack on your neck. Sometimes a simple anti inflammatory should be taken. It calms down the swelling in your muscles caused by the frickin' migraine. I swear this helps me stop a migraine more than anything else. The ice pack is the most important. If you can't do all of this then at least get something cold on your neck the second you feel a migraine starting and your chances of stopping it are pretty good!.

What is it with people who pronounce migraine megraine.

It's mygraine!

Given that it's a French-derived word from the Latin "hemicrania", I'd say that the "mee" pronunciation is correct.

migraine

late 14c., megrim, from O.Fr. migraigne (13c.), from vulgar pronunciation of L.L. hemicrania "pain in one side of the head, headache," from Gk. hemikrania, from hemi- "half" + kranion "skull"

Source

"My" graine is the general American usage, which slightly surprises me, as the Americans tend to pronounce French origin words much closer to the French that the British would, e.g. gar-ARJE, not GA-ridge; ballet as ball-AY, rather than BA-lay, etc.

Â