General Chat

Stevo985

Took a risk and it payed off. Wrapped up bacon....inside...hot melted chocolate. I'm a genius.

I'm renowned for doing sausages in those chocolate fountains at weddings , people never believe me about how good they are

Welcome to the club....

Eh?

He said in one post that he put chocolate in the middle of bacon.

And then in an unrelated second post he asked people to guess what came in the mail.

Then in third, he said he came in the mail, cause he had no tissues.

Yeah? :lol:

How long will WWII be refferred to as the war?

The war for this generation is Iraq/Afghanistan.

Kind of annoying. Probably belongs in another thread but i cant be arsed scrolling down.

I've been thinking that for years. Although WWII WAS much bigger than anything else we've been involved in.

What does "the war" mean in the U.S.A.?

Vietnam? Afghanistan? U.S. Villans please enlighten us.

You can generally tell from context.

>80: WWII

70s: Korea

50s or 60s: Nam

40s: Iraq I (if that counts)

<40: Iraq II/Afghanistan

I thought you were talking about decades there! I was thinking "Why would people in the 1940's refer to Iraq as 'the war'?"

:lol: Same here. Took a while before I reralised.

How long will WWII be refferred to as the war?

The war for this generation is Iraq/Afghanistan.

Kind of annoying. Probably belongs in another thread but i cant be arsed scrolling down.

I've been thinking that for years. Although WWII WAS much bigger than anything else we've been involved in.

What does "the war" mean in the U.S.A.?

Vietnam? Afghanistan? U.S. Villans please enlighten us.

You can generally tell from context.

>80: WWII

70s: Korea

50s or 60s: Nam

40s: Iraq I (if that counts)

<40: Iraq II/Afghanistan

Yeah, that makes sense. And it also means that "the war" does NOT have a universal meaning in the USA. Whereas - as CED pointed out - it probably does in the UK (and presumably Ireland).

Or maybe it's just me?

I'm 56 and have never been in the forces. But I have lived through a few wars that Britain was involved in - Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan.

Say "during the war" or "before the war" to me, and I still automatically assume you're talking about WWII.

This may be due to my parents' involvement in it, the fact that when I was growing up in the late 50s/early 60s, WWII films were still immensely popular, or the fact that I am deeply interested in that period, and have read a great deal about it.

I dunno.

I think the universal description of WW2 as 'the war' is because of the nature of it as a war that directly effected everyone and dominated, wholeheartedly, the entirety of life. It's the first time Britain faced 'Total War', and thus it was rather like everyone was involved. Every other war we can detach ourselves from, we weren't being bombed, we weren't being called up, home life was more or less the same.

I suspect that if we had another war that was on our soil, literally, in one way or another, we'd come to refer that as 'the war' in time, especially if it's impact was great enough.

that was my thoughts to chindie, WWII impacted everyone here, everyone had a story about what they did during "the war" you dont now, if we didnt have full media coverage or didnt have a family member directly involved (which i dont) this war wouldnt impact us at all (said it before and will again, i for one dont feel safer on the streets, but i didnt feel threatened in the 1st place)

Â