General Chat

Stevo985

The organ donor thing caused a huge row in my family.

My dad had Alzheimers, and when he died the consultant asked my mum and me if we'd consider donating his brain for research. We were both massively in favour (and we thought he would have been, too).

My auntie (not a blood relative, her sister married my dad's brother - but also as it happened my mum's lifelong best mate) objected, on quasi-religious grounds (she was a Catholic) - "He came into the world with his brain, and he should go out with it, as God intended", etc.

My mum (newly bereaved and in an emotional state) politely told her that it was our decision. When she continued to press the point mum told her to keep her nose out.

They fell out over it, bigtime, and didn't speak to each other for several years - much to the exasperation of everybody in the family.

I can see the argument Bri, but I would question the ability of someone to 'possess their own body' once they're dead.

Unless you believe in sprirts and zombies.

You get to keep possesssion of your body whilst you're alive, which is nice. :P

I'm not averse to donating as it currently stands. But I assure you if they ever bring in an 'opt out' system, on principle alone, I will be first in the queue and I'll be buried intact.

The organ donor thing caused a huge row in my family.

My dad had Alzheimers, and when he died the consultant asked my mum and me if we'd consider donating his brain for research. We were both massively in favour (and we thought he would have been, too).

My auntie (not a blood relative, her sister married my dad's brother - but also as it happened my mum's lifelong best mate) objected, on quasi-religious grounds (she was a Catholic) - "He came into the world with his brain, and he should go out with it, as God intended", etc.

My mum (newly bereaved and in an emotional state) politely told her that it was our decision. When she continued to press the point mum told her to keep her nose out.

They fell out over it, bigtime, and didn't speak to each other for several years - much to the exasperation of everybody in the family.

Your auntie had no right. Sticking her nose into business that wasn't hers. Religion innit. Knobends.

What about, if you want the right to receive a organ, you must yourself be on the donor list?

Though this perhaps doesn't cover the "research" part that Mike refered to.

I dunno

Exactly. It was a real shame though, because in many respects she was - and still is, aged over 90 - totally sound, and a great character.

But my mum was one for holding grudges, and wouldn't forgive her for it. And thus lost a good friend for a long time (they did eventually make it up, but it was never quite the same).

Exactly. It was a real shame though, because in many respects she was - and still is, aged over 90 - totally sound, and a great character.

But my mum was one for holding grudges, and wouldn't forgive her for it. And thus lost a good friend for a long time (they did eventually make it up, but it was never quite the same).

To think that religion could cause a war. Who'd a thunk it eh?
  • Like 1

I can see the argument Bri, but I would question the ability of someone to 'possess their own body' once they're dead.

Unless you believe in sprirts and zombies.

You get to keep possesssion of your body whilst you're alive, which is nice. :P

I'm not averse to donating as it currently stands. But I assure you if they ever bring in an 'opt out' system, on principle alone, I will be first in the queue and I'll be buried intact.

Does not averse mean you have actually opted in? Otherwise, you opting out of a system which before you had not opted into, would have no difference?

What about, if you want the right to receive a organ, you must yourself be on the donor list?

You'd end up with a lot of dead people there teggers!

Does not averse mean you have actually opted in? Otherwise, you opting out of a system which before you had not opted into, would have no difference?

I'm currently not in, no, but that doesn't mean I won't be by the end. With opt out I will be out by the end.

If I can leave this planet having actually done some good for someone else, then happy days. If there is a god, then he'll appreciate this as much as the recipient. Take it all mofos.

Many people will never get around to making a decision on this, so the opt out system works for me. Those who it angers are still more than welcome to opt out, and those who don't really care, but are too indifferent to do anything about it (like me) will stay in. The net benefit will be huge.

That said, it's a Welsh thing, and having lived here for a number of years, I've come to regard any such initiatives with a fair amount of skepticism. There must be something wrong with this.

For me, the opting in or out thing isn't the important part as such. I'm all for the system to stay exactly the same as it is now, but surely the issue of a lot healthy organs going to waste (ones that once belonged to a 'would have been' donor) needs to be addressed.

It just seemed the opting out scheme was the simplest and quickest solution, but there are many other issues I hadn't considered, I guess.

For me, the opting in or out thing isn't the important part as such. I'm all for the system to stay exactly the same as it is now, but surely the issue of a lot healthy organs going to waste (ones that once belonged to a 'would have been' donor) needs to be addressed.

It just seemed the opting out scheme was the simplest and quickest solution, but there are many other issues I hadn't considered, I guess.

I completely agree with that. There needs to be a push for donors, absolutely. The apathy needs to be addressed. It's probably typical that they'd go with the easiest and most all-encompassing solution. I just don't think it's the 'right' one.

If you are religious (certainly any of the mainstream religions), then this makes no difference to you as your soul carries on regardless.

You can't own anything after you are dead, so your meat and bones don't belong to you. If you feel strongly about what might happen, leave a will and opt out if that's your choice. I suspect most people don't care and this way means there will be a lot more organs available.

... I assure you if they ever bring in an 'opt out' system, on principle alone, I will be first in the queue and I'll be buried intact.

There was a thread on here a few years back about opt in and opt out and without going back over the arguments in it, that just about covers it for me. I'm on the donor register currently and I would opt out were we to have presumed consent.

What we damn well should do, though, is have it so that if someone is a registered donor in an opt in system their relatives have no say in the matter once that person is dead. How dare people decide to countermand someone else's wishes.

• Like 1

What we damn well should do, though, is have it so that if someone is a registered donor in an opt in system their relatives have no say in the matter once that person is dead. How dare people decide to countermand someone else's wishes.

I must admit I had assumed that was already the case. Although I appreciate it is the kind of small print/detail that might change from country to country.

I'm on the donor register currently and I would opt out were we to have presumed consent.

I find that attitude very strange.

Kind of goes against the point of organ donation, imo.

• Like 1

Â