How long would you expect a stand-up show to last?

paddy

If it starts at 7:45 what time would you expect it to finish?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. If it starts at 7:45 what time would you expect it to finish?

• 9:00
    • 9:15
    • 9:30
    • 9:45
    • 10:00
    • 10:15
    • 10:30
    • 10:45
    • 11:00

I went to see Simon Amstell do stand-up on Monday in Wolverhampyon and, I'll say I was surprised at the length of it, I won't say whether it was short or long so as not to affect the poll.

The 'gig' started at 7:45, had a warm-up act and a 15-20 minute interval. Was £20 per ticket. So what time you you expect it to finish?

Warm up does 15/20 minutes. Another 15 for the interval. Main act should do at least and hour and a quarter. Less than that I'd feel short changed so I went for half nine. Anything more than two hours from the main act, unless it was absolutely brilliant, I'd be wanting out. I'm the same with films, gigs, the theatre (which is why I don't go much). Haven't got the attention span for more than that.

I think I voted the latest at 10:45....but now that I think about it that is a bit too much. I'd say the warmup act takes about 20-30mins, so ends around 8:10-8:15, then a 15 minutes break, the main act at 8:30, and goes for 2 and a quarter hours? Seems a bit long, I'd say max 10o'clock now, rethinking it all.

I agree with pretty much what Santa_Rosa typed. I voted 9.30 as well.

This is going to sound strange, but I have also found if I'm laughing alot at standup gigs, then I start feeling a little tired towards the end. I don't feel sleepy as such, just need to yawn alot. Can't explain why, just something I have noticed over the years.

Genuine Answer: I feel pretty similar to Santa_Rosa, I'd say 9:30ish.

Slightly More Contrived Answer: I'd guess you're writing here because you were either outraged at how short it was, or pleasantly surprised at how long it was - given the price, which is of importance as you quoted it. As you put the word gig - as 'gig' as to suggest it was 'so called' I'll go for 9.

Between 9.45 and 10pm and I think that's a decent show. I've never seena stand up with a warm up act though to be fair. Billy Connolly did a 2 hour set straight through when I last saw him, which was brilliant.

Saw Gervais a couple of years back and he did about 50 minutes overall and I felt very shortchanged.

Ross Noble consistently does 2 hours plus, and it's so good normally I wouldn't object if he did double that length.

Russell Howard did about 1hr30 when I saw him and that was fine for me, felt like value for money.

i'd say 9.15 to 9.30.

15 min warm up act.

15 min interval.

1 hour main act.

the ones which have 3 acts last a bit longer, but if its just one main act, then he's not going to stay on stage for longer than 1h 30mins.

If it was at the Civic everything tends to finish about the same time because of the carpark closing.

(And stop slagging the Civic woman, it's the Black Countrys number 1 venue, I'll take you to Blast Off one night, you'll love it)

It was at the Grand Theatre I think it's called.

And as it happens I am actually planning on doing some stand-up as a way of raising money for charity. I can't run marathons or anything at the moment so thought it might be a good way to raise a bit. Will take a fair bit of organising though, any ideas on how to go about it?

Â