Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redknapp talking about Defoe and Crouch wasn't a problem either, but fans make it such. If it was a problem Pompey would have complained, but in reallity the clubs would have already been doing the deals.

They did complain, furiously. IIRC, Sunderland offered £2m more than Spuds for Crouch but the sale was forced through to Spuds, which was not in Pompey's interest one jot.

But hey, let's not let facts get in the way...

Laughable, loads of VT's in the summer wanted Lerner to tap up employed managers

Talk about inconsistent double standards ;-)

Not 'tap up', but it wouldn't hurt to 'enquire'.

Laughable, loads of VT's in the summer wanted Lerner to tap up employed managers

Talk about inconsistent double standards ;-)

Really? please elaborate. I'm sure approaching clubs to seek permission is fine and wthin the rules. And in fact the club were commended by Wigan for their professionalism and behaviour in 'seeking permission' to talk to Martinex.

Harry Redknapp top flight managerial honors 1983-2011:

1. FA Cup Portsmouth 2008.

tumbleweed1.jpg

By all means he is certainly qualified for the England job.

^What does the Sty have to do with any of this. :?:

Redknapp talking about Defoe and Crouch wasn't a problem either, but fans make it such. If it was a problem Pompey would have complained, but in reallity the clubs would have already been doing the deals.

They did complain, furiously. IIRC, Sunderland offered £2m more than Spuds for Crouch but the sale was forced through to Spuds, which was not in Pompey's interest one jot.

Other managers complain about it all the time too.

Ian Holloway about Charlie Adam last season, for example.

Harry always seems concerned about talk in the media and how it unsettles his players

"There's too much talk about our players leaving, it's been a really unsettling preseason, probably the worst preseason I've had since I've been in football, Is Luka [Modric] staying, is he going?' everyday, non-stop. Even this morning, I'm driving in and suddenly there's a $65.5 million offer come in from Chelsea."

"Peter Crouch to Stoke in the papers every day, and we have to play him. He thinks, “Do they want me?” Luka wanting to go. Crouchy going, I don’t know where that’s come from. No-one’s ever told me that he’s going to Stoke. It’s all been a bit unsettling."

“His head’s been turned. It’s probably been turned again last night. We all know what goes on in the game. Anyone who thinks he’s not being told what’s going on is dreaming.You pick up the paper today and Chelsea are making a £40million offer. Who gives them that? Or do they just write s***?”

of course he himself never mentions players in the press...

"I like Chris Samba, he is a good player," said Redknapp. "I wouldn't want to say it's an impossibility. At the moment he belongs to Blackburn but he's a good player."

“Drogba is still a fantastic player. He plays for Chelsea and until they decide otherwise, you can’t speculate about his future. But he’s a good player.”

Well, he’s a good player, a top player, Footballer of the Year this year,” Redknapp said “I’m sure people are going to be interested in Scott. I know a couple of other clubs are interested, big clubs, but we’ll wait and see. Which clubs? Arsenal, Liverpool. I think they’re big clubs in for him. That’s the rumours anyway, that’s what I hear, so it will be hard.”

cant wait till the final day of the transfer window and we get to see him hanging out his car window on SSN talking about more players he likes

But that isn't due to talking to the media and when did they complain? If we take the Crouch and Defoe transfers fro example, we can see how talking to the media wouldn't effect the deals, but fans somehow think it does. Just look at the the parties involved. Crouch had previously been signed by Redkanpp 3 times and Defoe twice. You'd have to be totally off your head to believe they learned of our interest via Harry talking in the media, even more so considering both deals had been discussed every day for weeks in the press before Harry commented. Then you have to look at those involved from Pompey. The main 2 are Peter Storey and Avram Grant. Both of those are close friends of Harry's. When we loaned Keane to West Ham Grant saud he spoke to HArry every day regardless if they were buying or selling players of each other. So for anyone who thinks either the Defoe or Crouch deals were effected by the medai is crazy. And that doesn't even take into account Pompey were depserate to sell and already millions in debt to us. Yet somehow alot of fans manage to convince themselves that Harry talking about the players to a newspaper was harmful. It's plain crazy. Any complianing is done to placate fans, by clubs who want to sell.

Fans say it's harmful etc and Redknapp is the main culprit, but look at the signings he's made since he's been at Spurs and find the one's effected by him "tapping up" in the media. I think it's fair to say there is a grand total of zero from this list - Defoe, Keane, Chimbonda, Palacios, Crouch, Kranjcar, Bassong, Kaboul, Cudicini, Walker, Naughton, Gallas, Sandro, Pienaar, Parker and Friedel. It shows what a bizarre thing for fans to be so concerned about, when even the main culprits signings aren't effected by it.

In the last couple of weeks we've seen 2 examples of Harry talking about other teams players. The Ba incident, which now even Newcastle fans, after an intial outrage, accept that Harry's comments weren't the issue. The fact the release clause had been leaked in the first place was the issue and had already been discussed on Talksport. HArry mentioning it made no difference what so ever. Then he discussed Loic Remy, but the next day he was seen on French TV sitting with the Marseilles directors, as their guest. These two recent examples again highlight what a ridiculous thing it is for fans to get annoyed about. The only time clubs ever complain about it, is when they want to convince their fans they were forced to sell as their player was tapped up via the media.

Harry always seems concerned about talk in the media and how it unsettles his players

"There's too much talk about our players leaving, it's been a really unsettling preseason, probably the worst preseason I've had since I've been in football, Is Luka [Modric] staying, is he going?' everyday, non-stop. Even this morning, I'm driving in and suddenly there's a $65.5 million offer come in from Chelsea."

"Peter Crouch to Stoke in the papers every day, and we have to play him. He thinks, “Do they want me?” Luka wanting to go. Crouchy going, I don’t know where that’s come from. No-one’s ever told me that he’s going to Stoke. It’s all been a bit unsettling."

“His head’s been turned. It’s probably been turned again last night. We all know what goes on in the game. Anyone who thinks he’s not being told what’s going on is dreaming.You pick up the paper today and Chelsea are making a £40million offer. Who gives them that? Or do they just write s***?”

"I like Chris Samba, he is a good player," said Redknapp. "I wouldn't want to say it's an impossibility. At the moment he belongs to Blackburn but he's a good player."

“Drogba is still a fantastic player. He plays for Chelsea and until they decide otherwise, you can’t speculate about his future. But he’s a good player.”

Well, he’s a good player, a top player, Footballer of the Year this year,” Redknapp said “I’m sure people are going to be interested in Scott. I know a couple of other clubs are interested, big clubs, but we’ll wait and see. Which clubs? Arsenal, Liverpool. I think they’re big clubs in for him. That’s the rumours anyway, that’s what I hear, so it will be hard.”

cant wait till the final day of the transfer window and we get to see him hanging out his car window on SSN talking about more players he likes

But those aren't examples of tapping up or a manger starting speculation. Do you realy believe his comments on Parker or Drogba unsettled the players? There was no chance of Parker staying at West Ham and he'd been linked with moves everyday during the summer. There is a difference between the media speculating on transfers and mangers suing the press the unsettle players.

He's not said Crouch was tapped up via the media. Again he's not said that about Modric, but that he's been tapped up outside of the media.

The key phrase on all those quotes is when Harry says "we all know what goes on in the game." I think we do, but to believe that Harry talking about players in the media has an effect on things suggests we don't.

The prosecution rests

so paying millons a year in tax means if he swindles a few hundred k then it doesn't matter?

if he had done it in a legitimate way then maybe, but he has just tried to fraud the taxpayer, not get through a loophole.

But that isn't due to talking to the media and when did they complain? If we take the Crouch and Defoe transfers fro example, we can see how talking to the media wouldn't effect the deals, but fans somehow think it does. Just look at the the parties involved. Crouch had previously been signed by Redkanpp 3 times and Defoe twice. You'd have to be totally off your head to believe they learned of our interest via Harry talking in the media, even more so considering both deals had been discussed every day for weeks in the press before Harry commented. Then you have to look at those involved from Pompey. The main 2 are Peter Storey and Avram Grant. Both of those are close friends of Harry's. When we loaned Keane to West Ham Grant saud he spoke to HArry every day regardless if they were buying or selling players of each other. So for anyone who thinks either the Defoe or Crouch deals were effected by the medai is crazy. And that doesn't even take into account Pompey were depserate to sell and already millions in debt to us. Yet somehow alot of fans manage to convince themselves that Harry talking about the players to a newspaper was harmful. It's plain crazy. Any complianing is done to placate fans, by clubs who want to sell.

Fans say it's harmful etc and Redknapp is the main culprit, but look at the signings he's made since he's been at Spurs and find the one's effected by him "tapping up" in the media. I think it's fair to say there is a grand total of zero from this list - Defoe, Keane, Chimbonda, Palacios, Crouch, Kranjcar, Bassong, Kaboul, Cudicini, Walker, Naughton, Gallas, Sandro, Pienaar, Parker and Friedel. It shows what a bizarre thing for fans to be so concerned about, when even the main culprits signings aren't effected by it.

In the last couple of weeks we've seen 2 examples of Harry talking about other teams players. The Ba incident, which now even Newcastle fans, after an intial outrage, accept that Harry's comments weren't the issue. The fact the release clause had been leaked in the first place was the issue and had already been discussed on Talksport. HArry mentioning it made no difference what so ever. Then he discussed Loic Remy, but the next day he was seen on French TV sitting with the Marseilles directors, as their guest. These two recent examples again highlight what a ridiculous thing it is for fans to get annoyed about. The only time clubs ever complain about it, is when they want to convince their fans they were forced to sell as their player was tapped up via the media.

tl:dr

Are you a Spurs PR par chance?

tl:dr

Are you a Spurs PR par chance?

It's not a Spurs issue per se. It's more of a fan issue. Spurs fan have been just as naive, like when we sold Keane and Berbatov. Our chairman used the media to try and placate our fans and it worked. Someone mentioned in a previous post that Harry himself even tried to placate our fans after a bad start to the season, by saying the media had unsettled Crouch. Of course that is total bullshit also, as we were trying to sell Crouch. Crouch himself said Redknapp told him it would be difficult to get games for us. He also said Woodgate was phoning him all the time trying to convince him to join Stoke. On top of that Pulis is a good mate of Redknapps. So there is no way Crouch was unsettled by the media specualtion. It was the club trying to flog him, the manager saying he wouldn't play much and his mate on the phone. Yet on this occassion it's in Harry's interest to say the media unsettled him. Fans need to get real about what goes on.

Anyway.... enough of the diversion tactics, it doesn't really matter why we don't like Redknapp although I know plenty of Spurs fans who seem to have forgotten their previous dislike of the man. Oh and to the man who seems to think the entire thread is about Redknapp, it isn't.

Lets get back to the main Spurs related news at the moment namely Redknapp's trial, apparently he is a victim of being a cockney and being called Harry.

Harry Redknapp said he was "sick and tired" of bung slurs and claimed he was victimised because of his Cockney accent, a court heard on Wednesday.

The Tottenham Hotspur manager also told football corruption investigators: "If there is any mud to be thrown, I seem to get on the end of it for whatever reason."

Redknapp said there was "nothing on me in this world" as he voluntarily revealed details about his Monaco bank account during the Quest Premier League bung inquiry in 2006, jurors were told.

He told accountant Nigel Layton "I don't care who looks", as Portsmouth's finances were examined by the investigation led by former Metropolitan Police commissioner Lord Stevens in 2006.

Redknapp, originally from Poplar, east London, said: "A friend said to me, he said 'Harry, I can't believe it's always you, I have dealt with you enough times. Your problem is your name, Harry, and you have got a Cockney accent'.

"People don't know me and I am sick and tired of it. There ain't nobody who is more of a fan... My son has been a top footballer."

The conversation took place between Mr Layton - managing director of Quest - and Redknapp in November 2006.

Redknapp added: "I don't care who looks, your people can look. Nobody will ever find anything on me. I don't care who looks or how hard because there is nothing on me in this world."

The extracts were read out in court after prosecutors said excuses offered by Redknapp and co-defendant Milan Mandaric for the 189,000 "bung" were "contradictory, inconsistent and lack credibility".

Jurors also listened to a tape recording of a phone call between Redknapp and Mandaric as the manager attempted to convince the News of the World "everything I do, I do above board".

Rob Beasley, the paper's former chief sports writer, told jurors he used "flattery, friendship... and a little bit of kidology" with Redknapp and Mandaric as he investigated the case in 2009.

Mr Beasley said he paid £1,000 to a source who was "absolutely not" a member of City of London Police or HM Revenue and Customs.

But under cross-examination by Redknapp's barrister, John Kelsey-Fry, Mr Beasley said there were "two truths".

Questioned

Jurors were asked earlier to consider how the Tottenham Hotspur manager "simply laughed" when questioned about the Monaco "bung".

Prosecutor John Black QC completed his opening speech by pointing out how Redknapp's story differed from Mandaric's.

"Those explanations, the Crown say, are contradictory, inconsistent and lack credibility," Mr Black said.

Jurors were asked to consider, "is it credible that Mr Redknapp remained blissfully unaware" of the deposits in the account named after his pet dog, Rosie.

Mr Black also pointed to evidence that Redknapp "simply laughed about it and decided to forget about it all".

Referring to police interviews with Mandaric, Mr Black asked "is there any credibility, you might like to consider" that the payments "constituted a loan".

Mr Black said: "Why, in that case, was Mr Redknapp under such misapprehension?"

Redknapp claimed he "received express reassurances from Mr Mandaric that the tax had been paid", while Mandaric "assumed that Mr Redknapp would take legal advice and make the necessary action".

Both Redknapp, 64, of Poole, Dorset, and Mandaric, from Oadby, Leicestershire, deny two counts of cheating the public revenue when Redknapp was manager of Portsmouth Football Club.

The first charge of cheating the public revenue alleges that between April 1 2002 and November 28 2007, Mandaric paid $145,000 (£93,100) into the account.

The second charge for the same offence relates to a sum of $150,000 (£96,300) allegedly paid between May 1 2004 and November 28 2007.

The trial was adjourned until Thursday when two accountants will give evidence at Southwark Crown Court.

Here

Â