Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

I actually like Bent, think he's better or at least just as good as Defoe in my opinion.

I also think Gabby is just as good as both players. Well Bent/Defoe are similar while Gabby is more of a team striker (nothing against the other two as they score more goals)....

I agree though, I don't think his overall game is that good and isn't as good as he's made it to be on here by some (SCG...)

I agree.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant understand why MON never went for Bent

He is what we were crying out for a decent striker who could finish and relish the counter attack i know he cost 10 mill + but... what did heskey and harewood combined cost.

Real Madrid have a history of making fantastic players look poor.

Pretty similar to yourselves then.

Really? Care to list some examples of fantastic players that Spurs have made look poor?

Giovanni Dos Santos and Adel Taarabet (Spring to mind fantastic prospects before Spurds got them, altho Taarabet is showing his potential now at QPR) That Sandro they will prob ruin as well! Kyle Walker & Kyle Naughton so far are very highly rated but stock has fallen at Spurs, wouldn't be suprised if they moved on, similar to that Chris Gunter guy at Forest!!

I honestly think with Bent in our team the would of steam rollered to 4th place last season.

Purely because of the ridiculous amount of home draws we endured purely due to somebody not being able to put the ball in the back in the net.

It was a very frustrating season ticket last year to say the list.

I agree Wainy. I don't think Bent's general play is as good as many on here seem to make out, but he is a Linekar style poacher. If there's a loose ball in the box he seems to have a knack for being there. Last season we were crying out for someone like that. So much possession, so many chances, so comfortable at the back, but so many draws.

Bent isn't a particuarly good finisher either though. I promise if he was playing for Villa abd you were watching him week in week out, you'd become very frustrated with him. He scored recently for England, but consider how many fluffed chances it took him before he did. He's decent, but honestly, not signficant improvement on Gabby, if at all. Conpare the possession and chances you had last season, to what we had when Bent was with us and it didn't make much difference then. I didn't rate Ramos as a coach, but to be fair, it was Bent and Pav's inabaility to score that really did for him. We dominated possession in nearly all our games and always created way more chances, but our strikers were shit. Unfortunately our current set of strikers are shit as well.

Same could be said for Defoe...

I think Defoe actually had a better record at Pompey, despite the fact we create for more than them. So like Bent, it isn't a simple case of put them in a better side that will create more and then they'll score more.

Same could be said for Defoe...

I think Defoe actually had a better record at Pompey, despite the fact we create for more than them. So like Bent, it isn't a simple case of put them in a better side that will create more and then they'll score more.

I always find it amazing how people get that logic. SCG said Bent scored 25 for Sunderland, he'd score 40 for United or something along those lines.

They keep hitting that ball to the far post, dont they? Deep cross in, Crouch heads back, Van Der Vaart scores from inside the six yard box.

Okay, Howard flapped at the cross today, but they scored both of their goals against us with the same move. I wonder how many more times they will score from it this season?

They keep hitting that ball to the far post, dont they? Deep cross in, Crouch heads back, Van Der Vaart scores from inside the six yard box.

Okay, Howard flapped at the cross today, but they scored both of their goals against us with the same move. I wonder how many more times they will score from it this season?

It was interesting in the second half how the evernot defence lined up on the six yard box holding hands for set pieces.

Crouch isn't the smartest of strikers when it comes to staying onside. I'm guessing they only held hands to keep a really good line.

When Spurs put the ball to the back post it should always be one defenders responsibility to get between Van der Vaart (wherever he may go) and Crouch. One defender put enough pressure on Crouch to make his header difficult and not as accurate, but you can't really assume your defenders will win the header.

What Everton, and us to an even greater extent, were guilty of were sending 2 defenders to squeeze Crouch out. On another day Crouch could have had a penalty from the 2 Everton defenders, and we just send to defenders over to Crouch, lost the header and left VDV on his own.

It's working well for them, but it's a very simple and predictable attack. Until they start getting Modric more involved in these attacks then I can't see teams being as vunerable to Crouch->VDV as we were.

Thanks Rev,

I had always wondered what "playing the Spurs way" was when they complained about a hundred and eleventy twelve mangers not playing it, you seem to have summed it up nicely :D:D

Â